Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Help - Friend Sentenced to 37 years in Qatar

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Done, as I am very aware this kind of thing happens over here.

Though the involvement of 'Detained in Dubai' rings alarm bells for me; he should get rid of them and stick to official channels.

DiD is nothing more than a one-woman agenda-driven self-publicising PR firm, completely in bed with The Daily Mail's Middle East-scaremongering department: the recent "JAILED FOR DRINKING A GLASS OF WINE ON A FLIGHT" BS "story" was totally down to DiD, and the most ridiculously warped and untrue account of something you'll ever hear.

Pretty much every OTT Middle East story you see in the likes of The Daily Mail comes directly from DiD (which is essentially just one notoriously loopy woman anyway), and over here their involvement in legitimate cases is very much seen as doing more harm than good. Nothing puts a dent in a case's chances of success than quoting DiD as being part of your legal team: it totally pisses off the very people you need to try and win over. I know your friend is in Qatar, but here in Dubai for example, involving DiD = linking your case to The Daily Mail = linking your case to the 'stories' about one of Sheikh Mohammed's daughters being held against her will = you'll never get Sheikh Mo on your side = you've severely set your chances back.

They are absolutely not a legit civil rights outfit like you get in the UK, and he should get rid asap.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Terrible. Also a reminder for anyone thinking of working or even holidaying in a strict Islamic country - it's not worth the risk.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bearing in mind that medieval sentence, who in their right mind would consent to signing their name in a company capacity in the Middle East. Who could pay you enough to effectively sign away your life?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Perhaps this is insensitive to our members living in that area, but I cannot fathom why anyone from the UK would choose to holiday in any of the Arabic states. The amount of people I know that 'pop to Dubai' for a short break is always surprising. I can't think of many places I would rather not go. Even if you aren't one of the unlucky few to fall foul of their rules, you're still supporting a regime that treats women and non-married straight men like 'the West' did about 500 years ago.

This debate isn't about the two-faced nature of our Government's dealings with them, it's simply me wondering why the hell anyone would holiday over there.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Perhaps this is insensitive to our members living in that area, but I cannot fathom why anyone from the UK would choose to holiday in any of the Arabic states. The amount of people I know that 'pop to Dubai' for a short break is always surprising. I can't think of many places I would rather not go. Even if you aren't one of the unlucky few to fall foul of their rules, you're still supporting a regime that treats women and non-married straight men like 'the West' did about 500 years ago.

This debate isn't about the two-faced nature of our Government's dealings with them, it's simply me wondering why the hell anyone would holiday over there.
Agree.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Signed.

No desire whatsoever to visit this country.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Singed.

Worked there back in early 90s, only place we could have a decent beer was in the Oz Embassy.

Lots of jets flying here, there and everywhere at the time.

Good luck.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

Agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here