Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Before They Were Famous

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was reminded by one of my sisters recently that she'd dated Doug Scarrot and that he was a lead/rythm guitarist of Saxon. I used to go to his house on the corner of Olive and Old Shoreham Road to jam with him when must have been a teenager. He's still playing with them after all these years. Me...pawned my last guitar in 2015 but haven't completely given up.

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My Aunty Janet used to date a guy in the mid/late 60's who lived about a mile away from our house in Bradford (I grew up there, too). His name was Chris. Said he was in a band, blah blah blah... She got sick of his dreamy 'I'm going to be famous' lines and dumped him in the end, even after tagging along and seeing a few of his working mens club 'gigs'.

Chris... was Chris Norman - Lead Singer in the band 'Smokey'.

D'oh.

Another one (who isn't famous, but mildly interesting) is the Cousin of my Step-Mother. She was a barmaid in a pub in somewhere in South Wales in the early 1970's, an absolute stonking looker, and Mick Fleetwood walked in. He spent the evening trying to get her to 'leave with him' and promised that he'd either write and song about her, or get their songwriter to do so. She offered him her phone number, and he promised he'd honour his end of the bargain.

Her name is Rhiannon.

I have no idea if she kept her end of the bargain, before you ask...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
My Aunty Janet used to date a guy in the mid/late 60's who lived about a mile away from our house in Bradford (I grew up there, too). His name was Chris. Said he was in a band, blah blah blah... She got sick of his dreamy 'I'm going to be famous' lines and dumped him in the end, even after tagging along and seeing a few of his working mens club 'gigs'.

D'oh.

Another one (who isn't famous, but mildly interesting) is the Cousin of my Step-Mother. She was a barmaid in a pub in somewhere in South Wales in the early 1970's, an absolute stonking looker, and Mick Fleetwood walked in. He spent the evening trying to get her to 'leave with him' and promised that he'd either write and song about her, or get their songwriter to do so. She offered him her phone number, and he promised he'd honour his end of the bargain.

Her name is Rhiannon.

Smokey? Smokey? Who the **** are Smokey?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Smokey? Smokey? Who the **** are Smokey?

Indeed.

They weren't Smokey for long. As I remember it, after they had their first hit, Smokey Robinson's lawyers made them change their name. So they went with Smokie. I'm sure the lawyers liked their cheque but anyone mistaking Smokey for Smokey (either way) needs their earwax removing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

D'oh.

Her name is Rhiannon.

It was written by Stevie Nicks.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"....and promised that he'd either write and song about her, or get their songwriter to do so."

From the writer, it was actually written before she joined the band.

Ah, well, I got the name out of a, a book that I read last - let's see- not last - it was it was written right around Halloween ~ not the last Halloween but the Halloween before that ~ which was about two months before we joined Fleetwood Mac [1974]. And it was just about a lady that had two ~ modern-day lady ~ who lived in Wales that had two personalities.

One was called Branwen ~ which is Welsh name also ~ her real name was Branwen ~ and this other personality that came in and took over was Rhiannon.

And, um, so I wrote this song and made her into what I thought was an old Welsh witch. And then I had just, just found out ~ because somebody from Phoenix found a whole trilogy of books written in 1972 on Welsh mythology ~ that Rhiannon was a Welsh witch.There's a whole ~ there's a trilogy of books written about her called the song of Rhiannon.Which is pretty weird because I never saw that. And yet the song is exactly about that.

So it is ~ it's just about, it's just about a very mystical woman that is finds it very, very hard to be tied down in any kind of way ~ and she's uplifting all through the song. That's ~ that's what I wanted to get and that's what the band got really well was that uplifting of wings kind of a feel, you know ~ when you feel like you see a seagull and she's, she's like lifting up. Well, that's, that's Rhiannon. Rhiannon ~ yeah ~ she's moving up.

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Well, in that case, Mr Fleetwood was right on with the clunge-ferret bullshit as he already knew there'd be a song by that name. That, or you're quoting Wikipedia and it's not always 100% accurate.

Either way, Rhiannon met Mick Fleetwood. I know that for a fact. I also know my Aunty Janet made bumpies with the lead singer of Smokey (just been sick in mouth.. sorry)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, in that case, Mr Fleetwood was right on with the clunge-ferret bullshit as he already knew there'd be a song by that name. That, or you're quoting Wikipedia and it's not always 100% accurate.

Either way, Rhiannon met Mick Fleetwood. I know that for a fact. I also know my Aunty Janet made bumpies with the lead singer of Smokey (just been sick in mouth.. sorry)

It's from an interview she did, it was written for her band before. For the record I can't stand Fleetwood Mac.

Ok, I'll give you one but it's before my time. I worked for a company years ago that bought an old established film lab. They took on the staff and a couple were real old timers.

They never liked their van driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne,_Princess_Royal#Kidnapping_attempt

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

So I’m guessing Mick Fleetwood used to trawl the pubs of South Wales looking for exceptionally fit birds.
But they had to be called Rhiannon, Caroline or Sara, for his bullshit to work.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My sister in law used to go out with Patrick Troughton, actor in his own right and son of a former Doctor Who.

I have a mate who was seeing Michael Fish's daughter when I first met him. I remember him drinking himself into oblivion in 1995 when she dumped him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My sister in law used to go out with Patrick Troughton, actor in his own right and son of a former Doctor Who.

I have a mate who was seeing Michael Fish's daughter when I first met him. I remember him drinking himself into oblivion in 1995 when she dumped him.

Nicola Fish? I met her in Hawaii in 1994 when I was travelling

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Her name is Rhiannon.

As long as The Chain wasn’t written about her.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I went to prep school with Michael des Barres, not sure he was even vaguely involved in music at the time either.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Ordinary Boys went to Worthing 6th Form. Used to walk around looking like Rupert The Bear. Scarves in summer! Get a grip.

Played five a side with their drummer a couple of times.

I also once gave Daniel Bedingfield a piggy back for quite a while.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I have a mate who was seeing Michael Fish's daughter...

Michael Fish was an ex-pupil of my school, and they invited him back to give a talk when I was a student there, around 1985/6.

I still remember his opening words as being jaw-droppingly inappropriate – even back then, when #metoo and Harvey Weinstein were still decades away.

"We didn't have girls at this school when I was a pupil," he began. "So perhaps we could get all the girls here today down into the front rows, so I can see their legs."

Other ex pupils who I was actually there at the same time with, and vaguely remember, were Eddie Izzard and Ed Giddins, who went on to play for Sussex and England. Ed Giddins was a sulky kid with great 80s peroxided hair!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here