Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] On this day 52 years ago

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An attempt by the Americans to cash in by hanging onto the coat tails of the Beatles.
Hmmm I think you'll find you have that the wrong way round.

Whatever happened to the Adequate Four? (They really should have worked on their nickname)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Monkees is an American sit-com first aired on NBC from September 12, 1966.

View attachment 100523

I guess we can't really turn this into a 'favourite Monkees track' thread, although at least it'll be pithy:-

(own that bass Davy :lol: )

Loved the re runs in the 70s Saturday morning tv meant The Monkees, Tarzan, or an Elvis film.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I got to like Daydream Believer again when it was adapted as a football anthem for Barry Fry, one of my favourite chants before we became big time :smile:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I loved the Monkees TV series as a boy in the 1960s. One episode contains a line I still like to use today about my own musical endeavours. Someone was slagging the band off as he didn't want his daughter involved with them or something.
Irate Dad: "I don't want you hanging around with a bunch of fifth-rate musicians!"
Davy Jones (indignantly) "Third rate!"

And 'Daydream Believer' is one of my favourite songs of all time

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
When my girlfriend said she was leaving me because of my out of control obsession with The Monkees, I thought she was joking .... ... And then I saw Her face ....!
-

was that before she jumped on the last Last train to Clarkesville

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mike Nesmith was far more serious about his music. He was more into country music and wasn't as keen as the others to do reunions.

"What am I doing hanging 'round?" was probably my favourite.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Loved the Monkees TV show. I've looked at buying the DVD set for my kids but it is way expensive !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With all the talk of Saturday morning TV I'm surprised nobody has mentioned:-

71PeANxOVNL._SL1500_.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Another bit of trivia: The voice of Fleegle in the Banana Splits (the sort-of dog-shaped one) was provided by a man called Paul Winchell. He was also the voice of Dick Darstadly in the Wacky Races (another cartoon much loved by us 60s/70s kids).

However voiceover work was just one of his talents. He initially trained as a doctor and was also an inventor. He combined these two talents to become the first person to build and patent an implantable, artificial heart. He also invented and patented a disposable razor, a blood plasma defroster, a flameless cigarette lighter, an "invisible" garter belt, a fountain pen with a retractable tip, and battery-heated gloves.

Quite a polymath.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hmmm I think you'll find you have that the wrong way round.

Whatever happened to the Adequate Four? (They really should have worked on their nickname)

I didn’t notice you started the thread Stat. That would explain your reply. Yes the Beatles imitated the Monkees...... of course dear.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I've been annoyed with myself since you posted.
I knew I wasn't an Arabian Knights kid, but couldn't for the life of me remember which cartoon was my favourite.
I'm now equally annoyed with myself for looking it up (although in fairness I was never going to remember):-

the-banana-plits-show-poster.jpg

#TeamThreeMusketeers

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I've been annoyed with myself since you posted.
I knew I wasn't an Arabian Knights kid, but couldn't for the life of me remember which cartoon was my favourite.
I'm now equally annoyed with myself for looking it up (although in fairness I was never going to remember):-

View attachment 100541

#TeamThreeMusketeers

Only one of my mates in our road had a colour telly, the rest of us were still with Black & White. He was very popular on a Saturday morning. The next 'most popular' lad was the one with the Scalextric.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only one of my mates in our road had a colour telly, the rest of us were still with Black & White. He was very popular on a Saturday morning. The next 'most popular' lad was the one with the Scalextric.

Did you go round to watch The Whirlybirds? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here