Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Florence - tips please

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Since moving from Sussex to North Carolina, we are about to experience our first Hurricane. Fingers crossed we won't have the peak of devastation - we are well away from the coast (near Raleigh) but warnings are still of catastrophic flooding and the "odd" Tornado.

Any top tips from NSC's greatest for survival most welcome.

Whilst there was no water in the shops I filled up on Sam Adams and Goose Island IPA yesterday and do have a keg of Harveys in the garage.

At least I'm reassured that despite the record high temps around the worldly wise scientists Farage and Trump assure there is no climate change - just need Boris to confirm.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I dont need to tell you this, but looks like you are in for a rough time of it.
Maybe, as often happens, the hurricane changes course and loses its verocity as it approaches land and gets downgraded, like Hawaii recently.
Apart from that I think the general advice is get the **** outta there.
Good luck.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
ce29e9394957fcd690242cba2f684778.jpg

A genuine weather update, from my sister in Raleigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lived in Taiwan for three years where we used to get at least two typhoons a year, sometimes more. You got a "Typhoon Day" off work. Basically the whole city was closed - no shops and no offices open- and that meant no one had to go out except the emergency services.

TBH it was just an excuse to get battered and improve my reading. We lived in an apartment that had been built with earthquakes and typhoons in mind. The outside windows were already protected by a screen so all we had to do was ensure we had food, bottled water, beer, whiskey, cigarettes and a good book. I tracked them on the internet willing them to strike us :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My tip is to ditch the false craft and get some proper stuff, your local artisanal brewer will be grateful as he’ll need the funds to rebuild his house. :thumbsup:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm just down the road in CLT and it's looking like rain. Lots and lots of rain, looks like a minimum of 6 inches over a day and a half and some decent winds. I remember we were due to be battered by one last year then it swerved last minute and we got some drizzle. Fingers crossed that happens again, if not just stay inside. Is your place prone to power cuts?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I'm just down the road in CLT and it's looking like rain. Lots and lots of rain, looks like a minimum of 6 inches over a day and a half and some decent winds. I remember we were due to be battered by one last year then it swerved last minute and we got some drizzle. Fingers crossed that happens again, if not just stay inside. Is your place prone to power cuts?
We’ve got a lot of trees and so they’re bound to take down the odd power line! Hope all goes OK down the road!

Mundays Right Foot

Dec 7, 2015
NC, USA
We must be neighbo(u)rs, as am a Triangle resident.

I found that while visiting the local Walmart all bread had been purchased. My conclusion is that people must be stockpiling it to use as a substitute for sandbags to keep flood water out of their homes (since there's no other godly reason to buy American bread). Can you offer any insight into whether biscuits (as in the scone-y things that get served with sausage gravy) would work just as well to prevent water incursion?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lived in Taiwan for three years where we used to get at least two typhoons a year, sometimes more. You got a "Typhoon Day" off work. Basically the whole city was closed - no shops and no offices open- and that meant no one had to go out except the emergency services.

TBH it was just an excuse to get battered and improve my reading. We lived in an apartment that had been built with earthquakes and typhoons in mind. The outside windows were already protected by a screen so all we had to do was ensure we had food, bottled water, beer, whiskey, cigarettes and a good book. I tracked them on the internet willing them to strike us :lol:

Been in Hong Kong on the edge of one, and a couple of times when the full warning was put out. The locals don’t mind it, as long as they are at home when the top level warning goes out........bit crap if you’re at work though as you have to stay there [emoji23][emoji23]

Can’t offer any advice to you guys but stay safe and hope it passes you by without any drama.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Even though you are a good way in land, you could still experience Tropical force winds with gusts strong enough to bring branches down etc, especially as that area of the UA has apparently had a very wet summer so roots are weakened a bit.

It looks like land fall will be a bit to your south and then meander around a bit, which could well mean a lot of rain, and I mean a lot! Maybe a foot or more so if you live somewhere that can flood then get as many sandbags as possible!

Keep an eye on this thread in here: https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/51526-major-hurricane-florence-storm-mode-thread/?page=22 - there are professional Meteorologists who give constant updates on where the Storm is set to hit and how much rain is forecast down there.

So stay safe and heed all warnings!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Hopefully when it hits land it won’t be as bad as forecast. In New York and New Jersey we did not pay a lot of attention to Hurricane Sandy in 2012, having dodged a bullet the previous year with Hurricane Irene. But when it hit it was ferocious and combined with a high tide it knocked out power for days as well as causing major structural damage in outlying areas. Everybody was glued to the weather and news channels after that. Have to say that the National Guard and FEMA mobilized very quickly afterwards to help the clean up.

The one positive was the amazing community spirit which prevailed afterwards. Lots of people letting folks without power use hot showers, charge their cell phones and camp out on apartment floors. I am sure you will find that same spirit if the worst comes to the worst, these events seem to bring out the best in Americans.

Good Luck and keep safe.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Since moving from Sussex to North Carolina, we are about to experience our first Hurricane. Fingers crossed we won't have the peak of devastation - we are well away from the coast (near Raleigh) but warnings are still of catastrophic flooding and the "odd" Tornado.

Just been an update on the BBC, nothing to worry about! :D

[yt]uqs1YXfdtGE[/yt]

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If she gets out of control your two best options are to either use her as a dumbbell and lift her repeatedly above your head with one hand or show her a brass door handle.

Presuming you're worried about my youngest

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You have a great opportunity to be British.
You will require;
A sturdy umbrella.
A bowler hat.
Tea making facilities.
The Times crossword.
You can then stay completely calm and see the storm through with the minimum of fuss.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You have a great opportunity to be British.
You will require;
A sturdy umbrella.
A bowler hat.
Tea making facilities.
The Times crossword.
You can then stay completely calm and see the storm through with the minimum of fuss.

Good points. I have never been in a situation like this, but I should also think a stiff upper lip never goes amiss, plus the ability to say, "Looks a bit fresh out today..?" as the roof of your home vanishes over the horizon and into the neighbouring state.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here