Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reports on Brighton Womens defeat to Bristol City in the Womens Super League

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But this wasn't started as a thread about the pros or cons of women's football, it was essentially a match report but you have opened it and said: "But I simply do not give a shit about their results. I have no emotional investment in them, no interest at all I'm afraid. I can't get past my indifference towards them or womens football as a whole. I'd no sooner watch it as I would...rowing."

if someone commented on the current Sussex vs Durham thread and said the same (and the County Championship often has attendances in the hundreds rather than the thousands), wouldn't you think that was a rather peculiar thing to do?

Not as peculiar as me saying that I have no interest in County cricket on a thread about women’s football.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The debate about the quality of football is mostly held by those who don't watch it. I've watched some truly horrific Albion men's games - several in one season - over the past 40 years, and it doesn't stop me going.

The next home league game is on Sunday week at home to Liverpool. It's on the box. But in talking about it in the press box, there were concerns that there were enough locals in Crawley who might be plastic reds and outnumber the 'home' side. I believe this will almost certainly be the case for Arsenal and Chelsea at Crawley. So rather than moan that no-one is coming along (a complaint against yourselves), I believe it would be great if once - JUST ONCE - people would put aside their indifferences and showed support to the Women's team. So this is a kindly request for those who say they are not interest to come along if only in order to show to themselves why they're not interested.

What's the cost? At worst, a 'wasted' seven quid, and a 'wasted' afternoon? And you can bring your flasks.

Please and thank you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The debate about the quality of football is mostly held by those who don't watch it. I've watched some truly horrific Albion men's games - several in one season - over the past 40 years, and it doesn't stop me going.

The next home league game is on Sunday week at home to Liverpool. It's on the box. But in talking about it in the press box, there were concerns that there were enough locals in Crawley who might be plastic reds and outnumber the 'home' side. I believe this will almost certainly be the case for Arsenal and Chelsea at Crawley. So rather than moan that no-one is coming along (a complaint against yourselves), I believe it would be great if once - JUST ONCE - people would put aside their indifferences and showed support to the Women's team. So this is a kindly request for those who say they are not interest to come along if only in order to show to themselves why they're not interested.

What's the cost? At worst, a 'wasted' seven quid, and a 'wasted' afternoon? And you can bring your flasks.

Please and thank you.

I've just added the Liverpool game to my calendar (it's 23rd September to save anyone else the effort). My daughter is with me that weekend so we will endeavour to get to that one. I might even get to Worthing FC this Saturday too (take note [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION]) which will mean I'll have knocked off my two things I said I'd do this season well before the end of September, which would be a right result.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It's not about the quality at all for me; it's just that women's football will never invoke the same visceral, tribal passion as the men's game. It was never the quality of the game that made a couple of hundred Albion fans make a 10 hour round trip to Darlington to watch a 4th division match, and, at the end of the average 90 mins of an Albion game, it's the scoreline and result that we all care about.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I did go to a game last season. Different game altogether that didnt appeal to me and will not return. Wish them all the best but do think it is a new audience they need to attract and not just supporters of mens team. With these gates at five pounds a time do wonder how long clubs will be able to justify 15 plus full time players

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's not about the quality at all for me, it's just that women's football will never invoke the same visceral, tribal passion as the men's game. It was never the quality of the game that made a couple of hundred Albion fans make a 10 hour round trips to Darlington watch a 4th division match, and, at the end of the average 90 mins of an Albion game, it's the scoreline and result that we all care about.

So why did you, me and others make those trips? What gave us the desire to endure such often predictably torrid days to support the team, giving up huge amounts of time and money, when we (and I do include myself in the apathetic masses when it comes to women's football) won't spend less time and far less money to support another team which is very much part of the club are are all so passionate about?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm sure I read the average wage in the WSL was in the region of £30,000 a year.

"Nearly all WSL players earns less than £35,000 a year. Depending on club and player quality the average figure is often under £27,000 from club wages alone.

Due to a central contract agreement with the FA, 30 players are awarded £25,000 a year for playing for England's women national team.

This is in addition to wages from their clubs or any sponsorship deals they may have. The payments can rise to £30,000 from appearances, with the amount given to each player being increased year after year to reflect experience.

While most of the WSL is now made up of full-time squad members such as those playing for Manchester City Women and Chelsea Ladies. Before the restructure, the majority of teams operated on a semi-pro level, with some players only receiving £5,000-£10,000 a year."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/how-much-are-womens-super-league-footballers-paid-compared/p2h8oe98nzjh1a9bqr04pcuu5

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So why did you, me and others make those trips? What gave us the desire to endure such often predictably torrid days to support the team, giving up huge amounts of time and money, when we (and I do include myself in the apathetic masses when it comes to women's football) won't spend less time and far less money to support another team which is very much part of the club are are all so passionate about?

Some of the trips made to watch terrible lower league football in crappy grounds is almost irrational behaviour that can't be explained - it is definitely a passion. However, my passion for a club, which is 250 miles from my home for the last 20 years, starts and ends with the men's team, and I would never make similar financial or time sacrifices to support any other teams in the club - they are of little interest to me. I do have some interest in the U23s, and I might go to a game that was within 30 minutes travel time, but only because of the potential for some of these players to make the step up to the seniors.

I'm going to guess that 95% of fans are similar.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I might even get to Worthing FC this Saturday too (take note [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION]) which will mean I'll have knocked off my two things I said I'd do this season well before the end of September, which would be a right result.

How many times did you get down there last season?

Also I want proof!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was there & enjoyed a competitive game. Albion were really piling on the pressure when City scored a 'lucky' goal and sadly that knocked some of the belief out of our players whilst giving the City team such a boost.

Pretty sure I'll be back.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've thought about this long and hard. I have to be careful what I say about women as I once had a Piers Morgan type moment and got flamed :)

I love football. I love Women. I love BHAFC. So why have I no interest in going to watch the Brighton Woman's football?

I guess it comes down to the same reason as others have said, no passion. I've gone to some ridiculous places to watch the Albion play in crap weather, crap conditions and cost a fortune, and yet still gone, regardless of the fact that a lot of that time the football was rubbish and the chances of winning were slim.

But Brighton womens team is not my team. I don't really identify with it. It feels like the club and the media and the BBC (in particular) are really forcing this on us and I just don't have any interest. Maybe if I didn't already support the Albion and was looking for something else to do I might give it a go. Maybe it's the fact that I already waste half of my leisure time on the Albion and to some extent England football that I can't contemplate committing to anything else.

I have discussed the women's teams with my wife and daughter and frankly neither of them give two shits about it. I've suggested going but neither wants to. Both are season ticket holders at the Albion like me but have no interest. I remember my daughter getting cross at the constant tweets of women's signings. "who cares". It just doesn't feel like our team in the way the Albion does.

Some of the above is irrational, but I think sadly the truth of the situation is that the mens game and the Albion men's team have already taken the space in our hearts reserved for non family love and there just isn't room for anything more. They were here first and there isn't a market left to take. Maybe if I retire and finances allow I might find myself with time to fill, but I think then golf, Sussex CCC, England cricket abroad would be far more appealing.

As a final point on the quality of football. I remember staying up late to watch the England semi final v USA(?) and after 20 minutes I just thought this should be as good as possible, this is as good as the quality gets, as good as the entertainment is and because it's England I want us to win, but it was just rubbish. Really rubbish.

I can see the womens game continuing to grow as the flood of girls at school that 20 years ago weren't playing come through, but I can never ever see it getting anywhere near the mens game.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I was there & enjoyed a competitive game. Albion were really piling on the pressure when City scored a 'lucky' goal and sadly that knocked some of the belief out of our players whilst giving the City team such a boost.

Pretty sure I'll be back.

I was there for first time.Wont return as too far removed from what I enjoy about watching football. However I will say Bristol goal was anything but lucky. Looked up and chipped keeper from distance. Very good

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I did go to a game last season. Different game altogether that didnt appeal to me and will not return. Wish them all the best but do think it is a new audience they need to attract and not just supporters of mens team. With these gates at five pounds a time do wonder how long clubs will be able to justify 15 plus full time players

This is the relevant point to the men v women argument ........ Women's football is just not the same game, and that I feel is why it struggles to attract interest.
It may well have occasional high levels of skill and excitement within the context of Women's football, but the product is not the same, and in itself it is just not appealing enough.

I clearly have masochistic tendencies, because even though I've said I don't enjoy watching Women's football, I do bother to watch England Ladies whenever they are on TV, I'll also continue to watch the WSL highlights programme on TV if I stumble across it, and I'll certainly watch the Albion ladies when they are live on TV, so I'm not slagging it off without ever seeing a game ... I've actually watched quite a lot of it, ... and to be frank, it's dull, dull, dull.

I accept the argument that as investment grows and wages get higher, then more young girls will become interested in chasing the golden rainbow, which will definitely improve standards, but if the product itself is flawed I fear the audience will still be primarily Mums, Dads, Grandparents, Friends and Boyfriends etc.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Here's an article by Sophie Lawson from just over a month ago that discusses low attendances in England, Europe and the States.

She primarily blames factors like poor promotion and disorganization as well as time of kick off, location and shift to a winter season in England.

https://www.vavel.com/en/football/2018/07/29/womens-football/932233-women-s-football-and-the-curious-case-of-low-attendances.html

Here are some extracts from it:

"Taking the first matches of the International Champions Cup as an example, a photo taken at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami as the North Carolina Courage lined up against PSG showed just how empty the 64,767 capacity venue was. The attendance around 600 for the first match and in the region of 200 for the second of Manchester City vs Lyon."

"....the likes of Barcelona and Bayern Munich struggle to get meaningful numbers through the doors despite the popularity of their men’s teams. Even in Norway this year, a one-off weekend saw all the scheduled Toppserien matches moved to the Telenor Arena in Oslo, three played each day. Dubbed “Superhelg” the spectacle should have pulled in fans from all around the city as well as those travelling down to support their local team, in reality the Telenor saw no more than 600 fans."

"...the improved numbers for internationals do little to raise the profile of the domestic league in England. Aside from the general derision that comes with women daring to exist in a male-dominant sport, is it just a simple case that the very existence of women’s teams are failing to reach the collective consciousness? Do you need to be all but slapped in the face with a match to be aware that one is being played?"

"Having decided to keep their women’s news under the banner of their main Twitter account, the general response of men’s fans to Manchester United Women has been heavily predictable. Across town, City found similar when they decided to move 90% of the women’s social media to the @ManCity account. Again, if you can get over the sexism and general eyerolling at the comments, it’s a reminder that fans from the men’s team are being constantly reminded that their club has a women’s section, but the disinterest continues."

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
As the OP I'd let this one carry on without replying myself as I wanted to see where it went after the 'Who Cares' post. Its been fascinating to see peoples opinions about why they fail to find Womens football interesting, even having seen/been to matches, and that maybe Women's football needs to attract its own fans rather than trying to get the fans of a mens team to follow them (which has sparked a good debate about this on Twitter too when I mentioned that there).

As much as I wish it was different and the womens game had bigger support it doesn't bother me that people (most) on here either don't care enough to post about Women's football or have a different opinion to mine - if we don't hear opposing views then we're all just living in our own 'echo chamber' where the only information/opinions we hear match our own and that makes for a very narrow world view.

So even though most in this thread have an active disinterest in Women's football, I am going to keep posting these threads as the Women are part of the Albion football family and are therefore a team I follow and support and this is a 'Brighton fan forum' not a 'Brighton Mens team only fan forum'. See you on those threads in future and UTA!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've never been to one of their games, but I watch the highlights on Seagulls TV and hope they do well, I was a bit disappointed when they lost to Bristol City. I guess there is a seed of emotional attachment within me.

Good luck to them I say!

boik

As the OP I'd let this one carry on without replying myself as I wanted to see where it went after the 'Who Cares' post. Its been fascinating to see peoples opinions about why they fail to find Womens football interesting, even having seen/been to matches, and that maybe Women's football needs to attract its own fans rather than trying to get the fans of a mens team to follow them (which has sparked a good debate about this on Twitter too when I mentioned that there).

As much as I wish it was different and the womens game had bigger support it doesn't bother me that people (most) on here either don't care enough to post about Women's football or have a different opinion to mine - if we don't hear opposing views then we're all just living in our own 'echo chamber' where the only information/opinions we hear match our own and that makes for a very narrow world view.

So even though most in this thread have an active disinterest in Women's football, I am going to keep posting these threads as the Women are part of the Albion football family and are therefore a team I follow and support and this is a 'Brighton fan forum' not a 'Brighton Mens team only fan forum'. See you on those threads in future and UTA!

Keep posting please. Negative people always seem to shout loudest, so I'm sure there are a good few people who are quietly interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here