Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reports on Brighton Womens defeat to Bristol City in the Womens Super League

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have watched a few of the women's games and when they play I want them to win same as the men. The issue I have going all the time is my location, Crawley is closer, but it would take my entire day to go and watch, plus the petrol costs, I could not justify it. I will try to make one of their games this season.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
There's a local stadium near Preston Park that could host football...............

And in fact did for some years. The original "Brighton Ladies" with Julie Hemsley (who I think is still involved in the game and was the best player I saw of her generation) played there for a few seasons. (no idea how many, it was a long time ago!) And it would have made eminent sense for today's team to play there (assuming that the facilities are / could be up to standard) rather than exiling them to Crawley.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As the OP I'd let this one carry on without replying myself as I wanted to see where it went after the 'Who Cares' post. Its been fascinating to see peoples opinions about why they fail to find Womens football interesting, even having seen/been to matches, and that maybe Women's football needs to attract its own fans rather than trying to get the fans of a mens team to follow them (which has sparked a good debate about this on Twitter too when I mentioned that there).

As much as I wish it was different and the womens game had bigger support it doesn't bother me that people (most) on here either don't care enough to post about Women's football or have a different opinion to mine - if we don't hear opposing views then we're all just living in our own 'echo chamber' where the only information/opinions we hear match our own and that makes for a very narrow world view.

So even though most in this thread have an active disinterest in Women's football, I am going to keep posting these threads as the Women are part of the Albion football family and are therefore a team I follow and support and this is a 'Brighton fan forum' not a 'Brighton Mens team only fan forum'. See you on those threads in future and UTA!

Fair play to you here. You're right as far as NSC being a Brighton fan forum - pretty much everything else is discussed on here, so certainly anything football-related to the Albion more than qualifies. It'll be a welcome departure from politics threads at least!

As someone who's coached women for 4 years voluntarily over here at DWFA (Dubai Women's Football Association) with ladies of ages from 13-52, it's good that women have the opportunity to get into the beautiful game at any level. We played 7 a-side here with 2 divisions of around 6-8 teams in each.

The jury's still out at best with regards to interest. Though I don't agree with all of Sophie Lawson's article and the reasons/excuses that attendances are so poor generally in women's football, she does at least appear to face the uncomfortable truth with her closing comment of "it’s a reminder that fans from the men’s team are being constantly reminded that their club has a women’s section, but the disinterest continues." All the evidence is there to suggest that it's a minority sport (at least with regards to attendance figures) across different countries. We shouldn't then be surprised if the numbers are comparatively low at Crawley.

That said, I hope the Albion women do really well this season in their first WSL season.

If I was back in the UK, I'd certainly go and see them.

It is the Albion after all.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Does anyone know how to unsubscribe from the Club's emails for the Women's game? I seem to get more emails about the Albion's WSL upcoming games than the Men's first team.

You'll have to change your username to 'disgruntled email blocker.'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You'll have to change your username to 'disgruntled email blocker.'

:lol:

Unstructured data search alert :eek:

If they just put a simple Boolean response to a question that said "are you happy to receive information on women's games played in Crawley?" it would be a lot easier to sort through and a bit more honest. Maybe it would indicate the true level of interest too. What's to lose?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here