Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jordan Maguire-Drew

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Included in this write-up of players from Premier League clubs who are playing their trade in the National League >>> https://whisp.rs/2N15NXF

Does JMD have a chance of making it? What determines whether we loan someone out, often repeatedly, versus someone we keep "in house", ie Gyökeres? It is as simple as if we fancy someone has a best chance of progressing to the top level we keep them with us?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I guess by loaning these players out, they get to earn their trade at the mid lower levels of the FL.
If they prosper and come in to fruition, it'll help them and the Albion, to be given a chance in the first team.
If not, then sold on, it's a big world out there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The link doesn't work (the page actually, rather than the link).

But, in short, from a purely ALBION perspective, my impression is that we seem to NOT loan out the ones we really rate.

For us the loan system seems less of a 'first step into senior football' than a 'don't think they will make it - here's a chance to either prove us wrong, or put yourself in the shop window'.

(Apart from Walton - GK is a different scenario of its own).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given his loans have meant falling down the leagues the older he has got, I think we are doing the best to help him find his level for when we don't renew his contract sadly. Doesn't look anywhere near the standard required

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not sure about what HKFC states. He's already offered up Walton as an exception but, equally, we could chuck Ben White in there. Bozza also suggests that Gyokeres is one we have a policy of keeping hold of, but we bought him last summer, and loaned him back to the selling club, with him arriving here in January. He's excelled since then, but I suspect he may well have been loaned out this season IF the right offer came in.

And I think that gets far closer to the answer: it depends what offers are on the table but, in addition, it also depends on what our squad situation is. For instance, Ben White hasn't been loaned out (yet) this season, and this is probably down to the fact that we've only got three established CBs in our 25. When Burn arrives in January, this may well free up White to go on loan. I suspect we might even see Gyokeres go out on loan then too, IF the right offer comes in AND CH is content that we have sufficient (wide) forwards in the senior squad.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I had this debate on here when he was first loaned out to Worthing, I thought it was a negative view on him from the club at the time, I know a bit about JMD and he was a really stand out player, however haven't seen him play for a few years now, but even so even if he has now become a 'journeyman pro', then it might be argued how his career was effected by earlier decisions, be that his agent or the club.

The discussion boils down to how clubs must make the U23's environment competitive and relevant to a players development rather than a reward for an up and coming youth player, low level loans usually are a precursor to a player getting released at the end of their contract.

Personally my view is that any club with a multi million pound annual academy budget must be able to create a training and playing environment that is superior to that of a Vanarama, League 2, League 1 first team experience, it shouldn't be that 'real' football can only be delivered in dreary surroundings, playing 'real' football against players with inferior fitness and technique than those from the club you have come from.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, I think he was a promising player but his promise has expired. He'll be released at the end of the season and be picked up by a League 2 club, I think he'll have a Glen Rea type career though, he can work his way higher. I think he's got some talent, it's just a question of getting games in him and working his way up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not sure about what HKFC states. He's already offered up Walton as an exception but, equally, we could chuck Ben White in there. Bozza also suggests that Gyokeres is one we have a policy of keeping hold of, but we bought him last summer, and loaned him back to the selling club, with him arriving here in January. He's excelled since then, but I suspect he may well have been loaned out this season IF the right offer came in.

And I think that gets far closer to the answer: it depends what offers are on the table but, in addition, it also depends on what our squad situation is. For instance, Ben White hasn't been loaned out (yet) this season, and this is probably down to the fact that we've only got three established CBs in our 25. When Burn arrives in January, this may well free up White to go on loan. I suspect we might even see Gyokeres go out on loan then too, IF the right offer comes in AND CH is content that we have sufficient (wide) forwards in the senior squad.

All fair comments. There are obviously exceptions (and Ben White would indeed be another), but generally the best seem to be kept in house.

I don't count a 'loan back' to the selling club - that may just be part of the transfer deal. And a loan to their home nation's league like Normann's might be as much about maturity, etc than where they are as a player.

Physicality is important. Hughton has made clear that he likes Gyokeres because he 'has good physicality'. I.e. he is already equipped physically for senior football. He doesn't need to out to 'toughen up'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here