Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pretendance - THE FACTS

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do they really need to even announce the attendance figure at the match any more?

As others have said, the statistic makes no difference to the match day experience. They could just publish it on their website or in the next match-day programme instead for those who are interested

This seems like something that is done just because it has been done for a long time but is it really needed? I mean, how many travel to an away game and think I really need to know how many were there before I can go home?

It's not going to devalue the experience by not finding this out over the public address system just before the end of the game, (besides a lot will have already left before it's announced)

Announcing it make those in the ground start to think the game is almost over, (only from a timing point of view) so does this contribute to people deciding to leave early because it alerts them to the fact that the game is almost finished and make them more likely to depart shortly afterwards? Would more stay longer simply because they are engrossed in the game and won't necessarily realise how little time is left to play?

Christ. You are over-analysing.

:mad::rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I subscribed to the brilliant and scurrilous United fanzine Red Issue for years, and they conducted a FOI request a few years ago from GMP which revealed that there were normally about 7,000 tickets going unused each match.

The willy waving from those 'big' clubs that do sell out is more to do with the ease at which people can sell to football tourists (anyone who was at Anfield a few weeks ago will have noted the high number of both British and overseas fans wearing half and half scarves in the home end). The clubs where this takes place are indifferent in relation to taking this further as they know that those tourists taking the tickets are far more likely to spend large amounts in the club shop on merchandise and tat.

As others have said, the discrepancies between the two sets of figures doesn't prove any one group of supporters is any more 'loyal' than others. The reasons are far more complex than that, but simpletons will use the gaps to reinfornce their simple view of the world.

Yes but are Leeds not a Big Club and Sheffield Wednesday not Massive? :shrug:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sea of Faces

Screenshot_20180913-172103.png
No padding of attendance figures here.
Albion fans pack the Goldstone v Coventry 1911.

Nostalgia :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I find it amazing that these many people have enough money to deem it okay just to not turn up at games they've paid a small fortune to attend.
Truly mindblowing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find it amazing that these many people have enough money to deem it okay just to not turn up at games they've paid a small fortune to attend.
Truly mindblowing.

I know (all born and bred Brightonians) Arsenal season ticket holders, in fact several groups who don't know each other, who miss a load of Arsenal matches every season. A typical set up is 4 people who clubbed together for 2 s/t's, at a total cost of £2,000.

They openly admit that they can't be bothered to go when Arsenal are live on TV. Just pop into the living room and turn the TV on, avoiding hours spent travelling, train costs, underground queues and train delays.

Attending 10 games a season still only works out at £50 a go per person.

Leaving swathes of empty seats at the Emirates at most matches.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here