Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Petition to help disabled people have access to the beach

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ok.
When the laws mean that shops have to improve disabled access, doesn't the cost burden lie with the shops? I wouldn't think this would require a vast sum of money, it could be a one off project, and not impact on the other services you care about.

I disagree with your view on what's important to many disabled people. You think it's just a 'nice idea', and you liken it to a trip to a lighthouse. You care for some disabled children, but I don't think you're fully grasping what life is like for them.

So you deliberately left out my mention of mental health services from your quotes, that's a shame!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you deliberately left out my mention of mental health services from your quotes, that's a shame!
I didn't completely leave it out, I referred to it when I said 'it could be a one off project, and not impact on the other services you care about.' I simply didn't include it in my quote, partly because I'm not sure how much it costs the council and how much the central government pay for, and also because it's not specifically part of the point we're discussing, as of course the council has to pay for many things and has limited resources, which I'm not disputing.

The point is that you think that disabled people having access further towards the sea is just a 'nice idea' project, which I think is ridiculous (and patronising). Like you said, we can agree to disagree.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Right, but how do you realistically make a pebble beach with a steep gradient and frequently changeable profile accessible in a cost effective & sustainable answer. We can all get behind the principle but it seems to me to be a problem requiring more than just goodwill?

Rubber walkways already are placed on Brighton beach in the high traffic areas, just add a ramp up to them and use a sturdier material so that they can support wheelchairs. Wood would suffice. .

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
There seems to be two different themes to this thread. Access to the beach and access to the sea. The first has been part covered by the example at Shoreham of the boardwalk which is indeed on shingle and to the best of my knowledge not been washed away by a high tide or undermined by movement of the shingle.
Access to the sea is more problematic. Do those affected just want to paddle or do they want to swim in what ever fashion is available to them. I believe the solution might be different for both except perhaps the bathing machine suggest above. The state of the tide may also complicate matters. After all at low tide the target are may have sand appearing at low tide. I hope someone is able to come up with practical solutions to these problems.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
There seems to be two different themes to this thread. Access to the beach and access to the sea. The first has been part covered by the example at Shoreham of the boardwalk which is indeed on shingle and to the best of my knowledge not been washed away by a high tide or undermined by movement of the shingle.
Access to the sea is more problematic. Do those affected just want to paddle or do they want to swim in what ever fashion is available to them. I believe the solution might be different for both except perhaps the bathing machine suggest above. The state of the tide may also complicate matters. After all at low tide the target are may have sand appearing at low tide. I hope someone is able to come up with practical solutions to these problems.

I liked the bathing hut solution, has a quaint old time feel to solving a modern problem!

Alternatively, as a compromise, how about re-introducing the once popular salt water lidos?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about a pier like the one in Hastings?

a second, simple pier would be a great idea. maybe somewhere to the west of the current one?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There seems to be two different themes to this thread. Access to the beach and access to the sea.

well that maybe because the petition is vague, its not clear what it wants. which is why it will present a problem to the council to address directly, with a vague non-commital response to explore options.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good idea but the wording of the petition is poor.
What is the sea front and why are less able people having difficulty using it.
The promenade from Hove Lagoon into Brighton is already fully accessible as witnessed by the number of wheelchair users who frequently use it.
The petition should have been more focused on accessing the beach to enable families as whole to enjoy the beach rather than leaving the less mobile person on the promenade watching the fun of others rather than being part of and enjoying the fun.

Hopefully the council will accept the petition in the spirit intended rather than pushing back by saying the sea front is fully accessible and nothing needs to be done.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Signed. I’m all for positive change.

I am struggling to see what can be done though. See defences (pebbles, groins and rocks) can’t go anywhere. Coastal walkways and toilets are already in place with mobility access in mind. The only thing that can be done is replace the steps onto the pebbles into ramps, but where to the people with mobility issues go from there? A lot has been done in our county to improve the infrastructure of public spaces, if more can be done you’d assume it would have happened by now. Pebble wheelchairs exist too, but I’ve no clue how effective they are?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here