Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] 5 guys

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because it’s ‘cool’ to hate on Nandos

Nah couldn't care less about cool points - we're debating food on a football message board after all, what could be cooler? Just think Nando's is insanely overrated, and am fine with people having the opposite opinion.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Just been looking at the menu... did you have a 'Prince Charles is overrated' in your slider? If so, what the hell is a dirty spread?

There's a 7 Bone local to me in Newbury. I refuse to give them my custom for two reasons:

1.) They sign off their responses to every TripAdvisor review with 'peace, love and dirty fries', which is a whole new level of cringe. That was hard to even type.

2.) I like burgers and cheese and stuff, but some of the congealed messes they put images up of claiming they are 'epic' just look vile. One of their burgers had Wotsits crumbled on top FFS :shrug:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I think the whole American thing started years ago - it's like burger places feel they need to give us an American experience.

I think you're right. Until a few years ago I had no idea what a 'slider' was. Now they're everywhere you look.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Because it's greasy, the sauces are bland and overall I think it's nothing special, in my opinion. Much like Five Guys is similar standard to Uncle Sam's, yet due to a triumph of marketing costs way more.

I'm not a Nandos fan by any stretch. But bland sauces?! You've lost your mind man

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not a Nandos fan by any stretch. But bland sauces?! You've lost your mind man

By bland, I don't mean the hot ones aren't hot. I just don't think the flavours are that exciting or interesting, is what I'm clumsily trying to say.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
£10, so that's what (roughly):

£2 VAT
£2 other taxes (National Insurance, Business Rates)
£2 raw ingredients
£1 staff
£2 rent
£1 profit

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Five Guys in the US is ace, but again the UK version is a poor cousin. Same with Shake Shack.

Used to work by the place where Shake Shack opened their first store in New York. People would be queueing round the block, so spent one lunch break patiently waiting in line to see what all the fuss was about. It was OK, but not really worth the wait. People seem to get very precious about burgers - a burger's a burger at the end of the day. If you were really hungry the Market Diner in Brighton always hit the spot for me - and didn't break the bank

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I live in a burger void and 5 guys is as good as it gets albeit I think its overpriced and only make a visit once every 6 months or so.

I'm partial to a Nando's though. It's reasonably healthy if you avoid the chips and have a pitta or wrap, the kids like it, it doesn't break the bank and it does a ring burner sauce to liven it up. Alright, The Lettuce and Tomato always look a bit 1980 but better that than a Maccies or the like. You can even get ask for a tap water and rob the carbonated drinks for a bit of thievery to feel like Wolfie Smith. It's nowhere near the KFC ballpark.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There is a 5 Guys near me in Cardiff, I find it expensive for what it is. I've recently discovered "Beefy Boys" in Hereford, which are without exception the best burgers I've ever eaten (and I've eaten a few!).

Worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
5 Guys is pretty much fine. I'd say it's not really worth the cost, although I do like that they let you customise the burger. However, Troll's Pantry and Burger Bros are around the same price mark and much better in my opinion, making 5 Guys look poor value.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Huge amount of money to be made on Burgers these days, so many burger shops to choose from plus most pubs will knock you out an " Artisanal " Burger in the inevitable Brioche Bun. This and cheese on toast, er sorry, Pizza are both big earners hence their ubiquity. So then the choice is between the race to the top or bottom on price/quality.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Cheeseburger £8 small fries £2.75

You don't need a degree in maths to know that comes to more than £10.

Can only assume your comments on the cheeseburger are to confuse people as a burger £6.75 plus small fries £2.75 is just under £10.

Personally I find them overpriced and avoid
I didn’t really take much notice thought is was about a tenner or under bloody lovely though after 16hrs work.

Oct 25, 2003
Having experienced the burger at Crawleys ground on Sunday I have to agree with the earlier poster who said that the Amex ones are top notch for a football ground- much improved this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I get why people wax lyrical over this place if they live in some shithole with no other options but in Brighton you’ll find much better burgers elsewhere- not sure five guys would even make the top 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. I had a lucky beach blue cheese burger at Temple Bar recently and it was delicious, Burger Bros I like too and the burgers at Mash Tunn. All far superior.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Spot on. I had a lucky beach blue cheese burger at Temple Bar recently and it was delicious, Burger Bros I like too and the burgers at Mash Tunn. All far superior.

Could be they didn’t fancy taking their son to a pub for his 5th birthday.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or am I just a tight *******? is £30+ for three burgers just the going rate these days?
If it was proper good burgers then that's a good price, but it was just fast food, not a restaurant, so thanks for the warning, I won't bother trying it.

We have so many good burger places here (restaurants/pubs, rather than how you've described 5 boys). eg, Coggings & co, 7Bone, Trolls Pantry (Hobgoblin), Connaught, The Better Half. Burger Bros too, but last time I went they were still too small, without chips - which is criminal.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here