Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] 5 guys

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
My son reached the glorious age of 5 yesterday so we took him out for a treat dinner and tried "5 guys" down the marina. We had heard various references to it in the media from Absolute DJs talking or throwaway gags on 9 out of 10 cats does countdown plus the fact they seems to be everywhere so thought we may be on to a winner.

Firstly I was in shock over the price and we nearly walked out but my son was excited so we had to stay. We ordered 2 normal and 1 small burger, medium fries, one soft drink and a bud (it was his birthday after all) this came to £32 ish which I thought was shocking. There is no table service so after a few minutes one of the guys bellowed number 13 and off I trotted to collect.

The burgers were tasty but wrapped in silver foil so were wet and greasy. the chips were in a little tin bucket - fine but too salty, the beer was out the bottle, no glass offered and of course the soft drink was unlimited but we only had the one anyway.

I thought it ranked better than a whopper or big mac but way less than anything from Uncle Sams or Grubbs or even anything knocked up in a weatherspoons, gastropub etc. but for the price I could have had substantially more elsewhere and maybe the wife could have got a wine. It left a bad taste in the mouth as I have made better at home.

So was I unlucky and should try again or are your experiences similar? My kid liked it but then he likes everything - he is 5 (I think that fact it had five in the name was the main thing)

Or am I just a tight *******? is £30+ for three burgers just the going rate these days?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
About the going rate.

Oct 25, 2003
I get why people wax lyrical over this place if they live in some shithole with no other options but in Brighton you’ll find much better burgers elsewhere- not sure five guys would even make the top 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I bloody love a Five Guys, more than happy to pay the going rate. Sure it’s fast food, but it’s not McDonalds shite. I always take a tray of nuts for munching too.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
My son reached the glorious age of 5 yesterday so we took him out for a treat dinner and tried "5 guys" down the marina. We had heard various references to it in the media from Absolute DJs talking or throwaway gags on 9 out of 10 cats does countdown plus the fact they seems to be everywhere so thought we may be on to a winner.

Firstly I was in shock over the price and we nearly walked out but my son was excited so we had to stay. We ordered 2 normal and 1 small burger, medium fries, one soft drink and a bud (it was his birthday after all) this came to £32 ish which I thought was shocking. There is no table service so after a few minutes one of the guys bellowed number 13 and off I trotted to collect.

The burgers were tasty but wrapped in silver foil so were wet and greasy. the chips were in a little tin bucket - fine but too salty, the beer was out the bottle, no glass offered and of course the soft drink was unlimited but we only had the one anyway.

I thought it ranked better than a whopper or big mac but way less than anything from Uncle Sams or Grubbs or even anything knocked up in a weatherspoons, gastropub etc. but for the price I could have had substantially more elsewhere and maybe the wife could have got a wine. It left a bad taste in the mouth as I have made better at home.

So was I unlucky and should try again or are your experiences similar? My kid liked it but then he likes everything - he is 5 (I think that fact it had five in the name was the main thing)

Or am I just a tight *******? is £30+ for three burgers just the going rate these days?

I don't like that they wrap the burgers in foil either, but I rate Five Guys. The price also includes your choice of anything to go on the burger itself, so if you pile stuff on you can get more for your money. It is expensive though.

I think their burgers are far better than places like Gourmet Burger Kitchen, which are also generally £10 for a burger but served in a 'restaurant' setting, which for some reason triggers something in your brain that makes it feel like you're not getting ripped off as much.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Five Guys in the US is ace, but again the UK version is a poor cousin. Same with Shake Shack.

That said I think you are being a bit tight

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't like that they wrap the burgers in foil either, but I rate Five Guys. The price also includes your choice of anything to go on the burger itself, so if you pile stuff on you can get more for your money. It is expensive though.

I think their burgers are far better than places like Gourmet Burger Kitchen, which are also generally £10 for a burger but served in a 'restaurant' setting, which for some reason triggers something in your brain that makes it feel like you're not getting ripped off as much.

Not sure I agree.......think GBK burgers are alright (like most places secret seems to be not having it well done) and at least they're served nicely for around the same price and with a good choice of variations. Five guys for me is a bit inferior (foil wrapping definitely doesn't help), but still way above Maccy D's and Burger King and £11/head is probably fair value (maybe the OP was expecting more of a MacDonalds price ?). They all serve a purpose. Best local burgers from any kind of chain I've found is 7-Bone

If you've ever been to California, the 'Inn 'n Out' chain there is similar to Five Guys, but significantly cheaper and better.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
We tried 7Bone in Hove recently. Meh. Been to loads of burger places over the years come to think of it, but I still haven't found anything to beat Uncle Sams, regardless of price. I'm with you marcos3262, £30+ for 3 burgers is ridiculous. It's all part of the gentrification and mainstreaming of burgers, convincing people they are worth paying more for if it is supposedly better quality. Next up will be the gourmet kebab shop and you will be paying £15 for a donner. Well, it'll actually be a 'gourmet donner' with cherry tomatoes and organic lettuce. It's a gimmick. All Star burger for me please.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Agreed. Five Guys is just a posh McDonalds. Found the burgers quite greasy and the portion size was very poor, considering the price paid.
Similar to the hype of Nando's - which is just KFC with knives and forks!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
From a fast food perspective the Five Guys burgers are much better than the crap you get at McDonalds or BK, but as mentioned you are paying for it.
As I work in Bristol I'm lucky to have Three Brothers burger boat at my disposal which does the best burgers around. Eating a burger from anywhere else nowadays just seems wrong.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not sure I agree.......think GBK burgers are alright (like most places secret seems to be not having it well done) and at least they're served nicely for around the same price and with a good choice of variations. Five guys for me is a bit inferior (foil wrapping definitely doesn't help), but still way above Maccy D's and Burger King and £11/head is probably fair value (maybe the OP was expecting more of a MacDonalds price ?). They all serve a purpose. Best local burgers from any kind of chain I've found is 7-Bone

If you've ever been to California, the 'Inn 'n Out' chain there is similar to Five Guys, but significantly cheaper and better.

In-N-Out are okay, and I'll always visit if I'm in the SW USA, but their main selling point is the freshly-cut fries. The last burger I had from them (admittedly in a touristy part of San Francisco) was pretty average.

The best value around here is Burger Off in Brunswick St West in Hove. It doesn't look much but the food is excellent - burgers cooked on a hotplate rather than a grill so that more flavour stays in. Fantastic prices if slightly eccentric opening times, but that's because it's run by the same two blokes so the quality never drops. Smoque Grill near the Pepper Pot is good too. Coggins & Co at the Dials is the best restaurant burger in my experience.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I understand why you went to 5 guys and they are not a bad burger. All things should be tried once. But now you know what it's like I'm sure you'll realise that in Brighton there really is no need to go to these overpriced chain places, there are manifold superior restaurants for half the price

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Five guys, are in some serious financial trouble. They have expanded far too quickly and I agree with the original poster, this place is completely overated for what it provides. Also find GBK expensive for what it is, but a little better as you have a proper dinning experiance.

Much better offerings in most pubs that serve burgers these days, all for around the same cost and I generally find much better quality. The Poets in Hove do some great burgers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
£11 pp is hardly extortionate

for a burger, yes it is. i accept the quality of burgers has gone up in recent years, and the fancy brioche buns etc. but when you consider the basic cost of the ingredients, we are getting royally shafted with fancy burger prices. (see also pizza and basic pasta dishes)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Went to one in London once – it was OK... At five, my kids were happy (in fact they still are now) with Golden Arches or Domino's. It's all crap food really, but a bit cheaper!

Controversial, maybe, but I think the burgers at the Amex this year have been great. Plus: two hot food items and two soft drinks for £11? Can't go wrong!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here