Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sounds like you have cracked it!

I started running last year after an absence of 18 years and I did my own program in running, probably similar to the couch to 5k, I also use myfitnesspal.com app and I am on a 1500 a day calories except the days i run on which general works out about once a week if i am not injured!

I do find myself trying for PBs on every run (i suppose that's my competitive nature) which I think I am breaking that habit and just having a go every 3 runs or so!!

Tim, I hope you're running up and down that hill!

Keep up the good work :clap2::clap2::clap2: and stay away from the :drink::drink::drink:

Great to hear, I don't think I've cracked the weight loss in any significant way but, as like you, I am very competitive and I think the PB's around Parkruns will aid that!

I do need to get out more running, we have a gym at home which makes it easier, but I need more street or downs running!

See you at a Parkrun soon!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I’m 62 now and completed the couch to 5k last year. If nothing else it reminds you that you can no longer breeze through fitness activity like you did in your twenties. Great programme though so worth sticking to but my advice is to keep going even once you have finished the programme. Sadly I slackened off during this summer what with all the hot weather and easy drinking evenings. It’s too easy then to get back to old bad habits but I am pleased to say I got back on the treadmill earlier this week and immediately feel better for it.

My main advice would be to listen to your body as I suffered a 6 month lay off as my competitive nature meant I knackered my Achilles trying to finish a run rather than easing off when I was in pain.

Good points, thank you.

First target is complete the Cto5K, then Parkrun, then look at the 10k programmes but I don't have any ambition to run more than 5-7k and I, rather strangely at 56, I've found it is possible to go out for a run, enjoy the views and not to worry too much about the time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I wonder how many “slower” park runners we have on NSC?

I'm by no means the fastest of the NSC crew. When it comes to parkrun, I'll have a go sometimes (am currently starting out on a journey towards a new PB after too many years!), but equally I'm happy to take it easy and either pace people, run with the kids or just have a laugh. Because that is the MAIN thing – to enjoy it (or try to as much as you can) and think of it as something you want to do, not that you have to do. The more you do, the easier it becomes.

Hope to see you at PP or another parkrun sometime soon.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm by no means the fastest of the NSC crew. When it comes to parkrun, I'll have a go sometimes (am currently starting out on a journey towards a new PB after too many years!), but equally I'm happy to take it easy and either pace people, run with the kids or just have a laugh. Because that is the MAIN thing – to enjoy it (or try to as much as you can) and think of it as something you want to do, not that you have to do. The more you do, the easier it becomes.

Hope to see you at PP or another parkrun sometime soon.

Good advice. Most of us, by nature of us being runners, are competitive. As you get older this can become a real problem resulting in injuries from not resting, running when you shouldn’t, not warming up/down - and trying to do PBs every time you go out, you know - “this could be the one when it all comes together”. My struggle now is to avoid a PW, which in itself can be a real problem and can stop you from enjoying and relaxing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good advice. Most of us, by nature of us being runners, are competitive. As you get older this can become a real problem resulting in injuries from not resting, running when you shouldn’t, not warming up/down - and trying to do PBs every time you go out, you know - “this could be the one when it all comes together”. My struggle now is to avoid a PW, which in itself can be a real problem and can stop you from enjoying and relaxing.

Whenever I go out with the intention of a PB, it normally goes horribly wrong. My 20:54 PB came after a short run down to Hove Park (I never normally warm up) and just going with the flow. Funny how these things happen (or don't!).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Whenever I go out with the intention of a PB, it normally goes horribly wrong. My 20:54 PB came after a short run down to Hove Park (I never normally warm up) and just going with the flow. Funny how these things happen (or don't!).

Wow, I guess it's all about the targets!

My target for 2018-19 is merely a sub 30 min 5k (Yes, I know, it's slow but hey!) and to complete the Arundel & Littlehampton 10k's. Simple, achievable and, hopefully, enjoyable targets!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

My target for 2018-19 is merely a sub 30 min 5k (Yes, I know, it's slow but hey!) and to complete the Arundel & Littlehampton 10k's. Simple, achievable and, hopefully, enjoyable targets!

Good luck – sounds like a real running plan is coming together! Littlehampton 10k is probably the only 10k I would consider doing, having had a connection to CTH and run it many times before.

Nothing wrong with targets, but the older I get and the more I run, it's less about time and more enjoying and getting the most out of the event. Plus, I wouldn't consider a sub-30 slow, anyway – look at any given parkrun results and people cross the line WAY after that. However, there are plenty of parkrun pacers around (at PP and both HP parkruns at least) who you can stick with and they'll get you across the line.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good luck – sounds like a real running plan is coming together! Littlehampton 10k is probably the only 10k I would consider doing, having had a connection to CTH and run it many times before.

Nothing wrong with targets, but the older I get and the more I run, it's less about time and more enjoying and getting the most out of the event. Plus, I wouldn't consider a sub-30 slow, anyway – look at any given parkrun results and people cross the line WAY after that. However, there are plenty of parkrun pacers around (at PP and both HP parkruns at least) who you can stick with and they'll get you across the line.

Yes, I'm lucky enough to be a Patron at CTH and have run the Littlehampton 10k a few times.

A serious ankle issue and subsequent operations over six years ago stopped all running and allowed me to concentrate more on why I couldn't get fit and less about why I should. I feel so much better in myself, I'm in far less joint pain and don't look such a wimp in front of my teenage Sons and loving life, all good!

D

Deleted member 2719

Great to hear, I don't think I've cracked the weight loss in any significant way but, as like you, I am very competitive and I think the PB's around Parkruns will aid that!

I do need to get out more running, we have a gym at home which makes it easier, but I need more street or downs running!

See you at a Parkrun soon!

I have not done too many parkruns as I mainly go there to watch my son run, I quickly found out there are a lot of the mid-fifties that are very nifty.
I suppose they have years and miles on the clock compared with an ex-footballing sprinter! I wasn't going to be rubbing shoulders with many of them!

I will probably do a few more at Chichester and Bognor but only when I am fit and when the weather suits my asthma.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'm one of the late 50's age relative nifty runners. 6 months of severe rheumatoid arthritis flare up 2 years ago put a temporary stop to that till last May when I ran a 37" Parkrun. Best feeling I've ever had on a Parkrun with the slowest time ever but I was back!
Well done for sticking at it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have not done too many parkruns as I mainly go there to watch my son run, I quickly found out there are a lot of the mid-fifties that are very nifty.
I suppose they have years and miles on the clock compared with an ex-footballing sprinter! I wasn't going to be rubbing shoulders with many of them!

I will probably do a few more at Chichester and Bognor but only when I am fit and when the weather suits my asthma.

I'd describe myself as a happy plodder, played football until I was 49 (plodder left back) and would be happy to join you one day for a plod!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The next time I'm over for holidays I'd like to do one. Right now my plan is to maintain 5K for another 4-6 weeks and then move on to the Couch to 10K program.

Couch to 10k you say! Tonight is the last run of Week 6, which is a 5 minute walk, 25 minute run and 5 minute walk, toughest challenge yet, as you'd expect in a progressive programme ;-)!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Couch to 10k you say! Tonight is the last run of Week 6, which is a 5 minute walk, 25 minute run and 5 minute walk, toughest challenge yet, as you'd expect in a progressive programme ;-)!

Out of interest, are you logging any distances or just marking time for now ? Would be interested to see how far 5/25/5 takes you.............

Question for [MENTION=1414]driddles[/MENTION] - I haven't looked into the C210k programme, but if you're already at 5k, wouldn't you need a step-up from 5k programme ? I understood the C210k programme was aimed at complete beginners and was another walk/run thing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Out of interest, are you logging any distances or just marking time for now ? Would be interested to see how far 5/25/5 takes you.............

I have deliberately NOT measured distance, although I started walking at 6 kph and running at 8 kph, I'm still walking at 6 kph and now running at 8.5 kph. On the shorter runs in the last couple of weeks I've done 9 kph but was knackered! I am planning to start logging distance from now, the 25 min legs, to try to get to 5k by the time I complete the programme, although not to the detriment of completing each session, i.e. if I feel the legs / muscles tighten I'll slack off a bit so as not to cause unnecessary injury.

Question for [MENTION=1414]driddles[/MENTION] - I haven't looked into the C210k programme, but if you're already at 5k, wouldn't you need a step-up from 5k programme ? I understood the C210k programme was aimed at complete beginners and was another walk/run thing.

Hope that helps?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can I ask how folks are measuring speed. Would quite like to do that via an app, don't really want to be shelling out on a bit of kit unless it's absolutely necessary.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can I ask how folks are measuring speed. Would quite like to do that via an app, don't really want to be shelling out on a bit of kit unless it's absolutely necessary.

I do some of my running on a treadmill, that said I wouldn't measure until you get into the final three weeks and then it's a straight 25, 28 or 30 minute run so I'd use Google Maps if I didn't have edumondo or something similar!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If you're not into buying a suitable watch yet, Strava is probably the best phone app for tracking - as a bonus that would also get you membership of the NSC Strava club :)

https://www.strava.com/clubs/northstandchat

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You could probably just pick up the C25K programme three quarters of the way through, if not later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here