Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
There are also junior parkruns springing up all over the place now as well aimed at U14s - these are 3k, normally on Sunday rather than Saturday.

They are just 2k runs, and juniors can start when they turn 4 years old, and don't have to be accompanied by an adult.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Ah.
Well life wasn't meant to be easy :) It's still possible to succeed though.

Cut out red meat? Well scratch that off your list, red meat is fine. Processed meat, like sausages, packaged ham, bacon etc aren't good, so limiting those is good (for general health, rather than losing weight). Red meat is fine though. Lean mince beef, roast beef etc is good for you. Lots of protein. Carbs are fine too, but the calories do mount-up easily with them, so it does make things easier to avoid too many of them.

Indeed. One top tip is to just write down everything you eat, and how many calories are in it. Just writing it down is enough to make you realise the choices you're making - when you see that a few sweets and a snack bar has as many calories as a chicken kebab, it affects what you eat.

Fage Greek yoghurt with raspberries FTW.

Thank you, I guess it's everything (well most things) in moderation. To be honest cutting out the processed stuff has really helped, no cheeky sausage rolls when you fill up with petrol (the car that is!)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's absolutely no age limit at all - U14s do have to run with an adult though (can be a problem keeping up LOL). There are literally dozens of kids taking part every week, they also get a tee shirt after completing their 10th (whereas it's 50 for adults). There are also junior parkruns springing up all over the place now as well aimed at U14s - these are 3k, normally on Sunday rather than Saturday.

Thanks, both lads can run a 5k but as you say the 12 year old will just have to slow down a bit or piggy back me some of the way!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, let's crack the couch to 5k first, and then I'll see how I'm fixed! Just read your Race Report, superb, well done!

Thank you. It was an awesome day out. I echo what everyone says about parkrun. It remains the best thing about running for me – I've done over 250 of the things and still love it! Now the IM is out of the way I'll be back there regularly having had to give it a miss due to cycling/swim training. Can't wait – Hove Park: it's the best one :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thank you. It was an awesome day out. I echo what everyone says about parkrun. It remains the best thing about running for me – I've done over 250 of the things and still love it! Now the IM is out of the way I'll be back there regularly having had to give it a miss due to cycling/swim training. Can't wait – Hove Park: it's the best one :lol:

Prefer the Prom :kiss:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I'm guessing most of these are on fairly level surfaces as that's best for me with weak ankle; I'll come down and join you one day for the NSC Parkrun! You'll just have to bring a newspaper with you for the wait between 17 minutes and 45 minutes!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm guessing most of these are on fairly level surfaces as that's best for me with weak ankle; I'll come down and join you one day for the NSC Parkrun! You'll just have to bring a newspaper with you for the wait between 17 minutes and 45 minutes!

Hove Park, Hove Prom and Preston Park are on wide tarmac paths.......couple of modest inclines at Hove Park and one short steep one at Preston Park. Bevendean is a hilly offroad course I believe

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hove Park, Hove Prom and Preston Park are on wide tarmac paths.......couple of modest inclines at Hove Park and one short steep one at Preston Park. Bevendean is a hilly offroad course I believe

Excellent thank you, looking at local to Arundel the Hotham Park one must be flat and tarmac, as is the Chichester one I think, also looked at Horsham Park and that is a mixture of grass and paths.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank you
Welcome :)
To be honest cutting out the processed stuff has really helped, no cheeky sausage rolls when you fill up with petrol (the car that is!)
Processed meat is my biggest problem (food wise). I love sausages, and have too much ham. And bacon FFS! Why does this stuff have to be processed to hell :(

My solution is to make my own beef burgers. Either fat ones with herbs and spices, slow cooked, or smash burgers. Yummy.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Welcome :)
Processed meat is my biggest problem (food wise). I love sausages, and have too much ham. And bacon FFS! Why does this stuff have to be processed to hell :(

My solution is to make my own beef burgers. Either fat ones with herbs and spices, slow cooked, or smash burgers. Yummy.

Have to say I'm really getting into Quorn and similar veggie based products. Good veggie sausages, with fried onions and mustard added in a good roll are fine. I'm eating much more fish and a bit of chicken.

Beer is my downfall, I'm cutting down. I find it's a cycle, you have a beer you feel hungry later. I'm also trying to eat something healthy for breakfast to kick start the metabolism.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Going veggie is fine but quorn tastes like eating ashes.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I did the first 5 runs of couch to 5k and was really pleased at how well I coped with it. No ‘next day’ aching limbs or recovery problems... but I stopped because of shin splints. Just as painful now as they were when I was in my teens.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Still on it, getting a little tempted by what appears to be an easier introduction, in terms of the one day gap, but sticking with the rest day. I've signed up for Park Run but don't think I'll attempt that until I've completed the App.

Lost a little weight but think this is more down to less alcohol than exercise at the moment!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Correct Bevendean park run is from the Bevy up through the Twitten, over Bevendean Crescent and onto the downs. A killer course to run, many [myself included] walk half and run the downhill leg! The Bevy do a fantastic breakfast once completed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Correct Bevendean park run is from the Bevy up through the Twitten, over Bevendean Crescent and onto the downs. A killer course to run, many [myself included] walk half and run the downhill leg! The Bevy do a fantastic breakfast once completed.

Tempted to have a go at some point (at the breakfast, anyway) :D

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Still on it, getting a little tempted by what appears to be an easier introduction, in terms of the one day gap, but sticking with the rest day. I've signed up for Park Run but don't think I'll attempt that until I've completed the App.

Lost a little weight but think this is more down to less alcohol than exercise at the moment!

Don’t forget Hove Prom has both walk and walk/jog pacers for those who do not want to run the full 5k. Also nothing to stop you from turning up at a park run and doing part of the course e.g. one lap of Hove Park (1.8km) you won’t get a time of course but you do get the encouragement of participation and a feel of what’s to come and you can build up from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here