Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I started running way before 'Couch to 5k' was even a thing, but I probably did something similar to you. Just kept going for runs that added a bit more distance each time. Started in July and by the next April I'd run the London Marathon.

With swimming, it was a similar thing. In April this year, I couldn't swim crawl for toffee – breathing was all over the shop and technique non-existent. Since then I got a few tips off some people, got in the pool and in the sea and on Sunday I swam 2.4 miles in 1hr 27mins as part of Ironman Wales.

There are two big factors to achieve your goals: 1) you've got to really WANT to do it and 2) you've got to do the training. I guess a third thing is you've got to believe you can do it, but that's only really when you get into mental endurance stuff that goes on for hours and hours. And hours :lol:

Good luck.

Yep, let's crack the couch to 5k first, and then I'll see how I'm fixed! Just read your Race Report, superb, well done!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I

There are two big factors to achieve your goals: 1) you've got to really WANT to do it and 2) you've got to do the training. I guess a third thing is you've got to believe you can do it, but that's only really when you get into mental endurance stuff that goes on for hours and hours. And hours :lol:

I signed up for the half marathon having never run before and decided to start training 2 months prior.

I was lacking in points 1, 2 and 3 :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is nothing more satisfying than running past a fat wheezy bloke in shiny lycra on his £10,000 carbon fibre boy-toy going up a steep hill :D
[MENTION=7324]Tim Over Whelmed[/MENTION] as regards C25K, it's a brilliant programme for getting into running - I know loads of people that have got into running through it. It's also similar to the programmes used by Run England for the coached beginner programmes used by running clubs. The build-up is deliberately very gradual to avoid injury and making everything seem too hard (which can easily put people off early on). Once you get to running 5k, it's pretty simple then to take that forward with gradual distance increase (aim for no more than 10% cumulatively per week, with some weeks where you plateau or step back a bit) and start to introduce some variety into your programme (hills, intervals etc) . Have regular rest days and cross train too......will all help with injury avoidance and keeping you keen. Also, pop over to the NSC Official Running Thread - loads of advice from others on there from complete beginners and upwards (and without the usual binfests :D)

An asthmatic ant carrying some heavy shopping could have beaten me up Harting today.
But he'd have needed a jet pack to follow me down the other side.

(and without the usual binfests :D)
Only because you copied 'geeks', once again we lead (through red lights) while joggers can only follow. :lol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A lot of people have said you must have the day's break between each session, which I'm sticking too, some are saying on here you don't need to but I think it's a big part of the muscle strength and conditioning, isn't it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A lot of people have said you must have the day's break between each session, which I'm sticking too, some are saying on here you don't need to but I think it's a big part of the muscle strength and conditioning, isn't it?

Certainly if you are new to it, or haven't run for years, the non-running days are almost as important as the running days - both for physical repair/recuperation and the mental rest from it (it can become a chore). You could easily cross-train (bike, elliptical trainer or similar) if you wanted to on some of them. As you progress you'll be able to (and want to) run more frequently (again keep a watch on cumulative distance and don't jump by more than 10% in any week) but even if you do step up to running 5-6 days a week at some point, two of those will (should) be short, very easy paced runs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Certainly if you are new to it, or haven't run for years, the non-running days are almost as important as the running days - both for physical repair/recuperation and the mental rest from it (it can become a chore). You could easily cross-train (bike, elliptical trainer or similar) if you wanted to on some of them. As you progress you'll be able to (and want to) run more frequently (again keep a watch on cumulative distance and don't jump by more than 10% in any week) but even if you do step up to running 5-6 days a week at some point, two of those will (should) be short, very easy paced runs.

Cool, a swim it is!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

my downfall with running in the past has been that a rest day always turned into a rest year! This time around I have run everyday and am now at a point where I don't want to rest. Though the risk of injury is very high.

4 months ago I wouldn't have ran for the bus. Last week I ran the total of two and a half marathons!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Now I'm a fat lad, as some of you know!

At not quite 60 I thought it was time to get back into shape and running, along with cycling and diet is where I need to be. That said I've had a problem with my ankle which isn't helped by me being a "tad" overweight. So I've started the Couch to 5k and I have to say it's working, I'm only a few sessions in but Sarah Millican (my nominated App coach) and I are keeping with it!

Anyone else tried it?

Just to add my encouragement, I'll point out that there's a lot of time after 60 to keep on running. As a 63 year old I'm pleased to report that I keep up with many younger guys and acquire just as many injuries as them too!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Good for you if you're getting out and active.

Just an FYI for those who are interested in their weight though:
While exercise will burn a few calories (like a jelly baby's worth), our weight is mostly down to how many calories we eat.

That may be obvious to many, but it's surprising how many people don't realise. You can lose as much fat as you like without doing any cardio at all (although you should do some weights so you don't lose your muscle too).

and our metabolism shirley?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
my downfall with running in the past has been that a rest day always turned into a rest year! This time around I have run everyday and am now at a point where I don't want to rest. Though the risk of injury is very high.

4 months ago I wouldn't have ran for the bus. Last week I ran the total of two and a half marathons!

Thank you, that's really good to hear!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Just to add my encouragement, I'll point out that there's a lot of time after 60 to keep on running. As a 63 year old I'm pleased to report that I keep up with many younger guys and acquire just as many injuries as them too!

Thank you, it's the weight loss that's going to be the key, at 14st I'd be fine, or rather I would be if I were 6' 2", alas I'm 5' 6".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and our metabolism shirley?
Yes indeed, but it's not as simple to change what yours is. Given how you are now, losing weight by running a bit is hard work, and if you're diet is bad enough, it's bound to fail. Whereas dropping the calories will work. As they say, you can't out-train a bad diet.

It's all simple enough, but so much money is made in the diet and fitness industry, that people are fed all sorts of crap misinformation. Diets left right and centre that just don't work.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ah, that sounds great. I'm over Arundel way and there's one in Chichester and another in Bognor. Do you know the age limit, as my lads may like to take part.

My boy has started running with us this year, he's 6.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do agree, my problem is I do like a beer
Ah.
I spend a lot of "social" time at business events, and hotels, conferences, big breakfasts and client dinners don't make it easy.
Well life wasn't meant to be easy :) It's still possible to succeed though.

I've cut out red meat and processed food but must crack carbs and beer .. along with exercise.
Cut out red meat? Well scratch that off your list, red meat is fine. Processed meat, like sausages, packaged ham, bacon etc aren't good, so limiting those is good (for general health, rather than losing weight). Red meat is fine though. Lean mince beef, roast beef etc is good for you. Lots of protein. Carbs are fine too, but the calories do mount-up easily with them, so it does make things easier to avoid too many of them.

I do find if you exercise you focus more on what you're putting into your body also.
Indeed. One top tip is to just write down everything you eat, and how many calories are in it. Just writing it down is enough to make you realise the choices you're making - when you see that a few sweets and a snack bar has as many calories as a chicken kebab, it affects what you eat.

Fage Greek yoghurt with raspberries FTW.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I only run three times a week, and not on consecutive days, as I have found I get injured if I exceed that. Doesn't stop me swimming, cycling, or just going for a walk on rest days though! :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah, that sounds great. I'm over Arundel way and there's one in Chichester and another in Bognor. Do you know the age limit, as my lads may like to take part.

There's absolutely no age limit at all - U14s do have to run with an adult though (can be a problem keeping up LOL). There are literally dozens of kids taking part every week, they also get a tee shirt after completing their 10th (whereas it's 50 for adults). There are also junior parkruns springing up all over the place now as well aimed at U14s - these are 3k, normally on Sunday rather than Saturday.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I'm in week 9 of Couch to 5K - The final week

You're a bit older than me, I'm only 51. Been a great program for me, don't push to hard just finish the scheduled training. I'm actually knocking of 6K in my last week so I had a bit of room to spare. I plan on maintaining the 5K for a month or 2 after this week ends and then pushing on to the 10K.

I find listening to music while I run makes the run a lot more enjoyable, when I feel like giving up I just tell myself to go slow for the next song and see how I feel then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here