Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That W5R3 looks distinctly scarey. It's like they suddenly took away the safety net of giving you a bit of of a walking breather. It may well be all in the head but still looks a bit of a major challenge to anybody trusting implicitly in the programme. Just seems a bit of a harsh reality slap.

I see what you say but trust me IF you follow the plan to the letter it's easy. I'm nearly 57, weigh 14st and am only 5' 6" ish!

Initially I thought it easy with 60 secs run, 90 secs walk, repeated 7 times with a 5 min warm up and warm down chucked in. Then you slowly ramp it up, go on, give it a go!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Next week it's 5 min warm 25 minute run 5 minute warm, the following week it goes to 28 mins and the week after 30 mins, but having followed the plan to date I'm feeling confident

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That W5R3 looks distinctly scarey. It's like they suddenly took away the safety net of giving you a bit of of a walking breather. It may well be all in the head but still looks a bit of a major challenge to anybody trusting implicitly in the programme. Just seems a bit of a harsh reality slap.

Don't forget you've done the 8 mins, 3 min walk, 8 mins just two days before, you're only really joining that together. Trust me I'm not running 10km an hour pace, I'm around 8.5km. (Time doesn't matter at this stage)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Great stuff....almost ready for parkrun [emoji106][emoji106]
[MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION]. - it really isn’t if you’ve been following the programme....just need to trust the plan

Yes, first Parkrun is planned for Sat 10 Nov, probably in Horsham.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I see what you say but trust me IF you follow the plan to the letter it's easy. I'm nearly 57, weigh 14st and am only 5' 6" ish!

Well... I can easily trump you (upwards) on all three of those metrics, but hear what you're saying and big cheers for the encouragement. All being well, should be about ready for for first Preston Park park run in a month or so. If you ever decide to give that one a go, be sure to drop by and say hello :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well... I can easily trump you (upwards) on all three of those metrics, but hear what you're saying and big cheers for the encouragement. All being well, should be about ready for for first Preston Park park run in a month or so. If you ever decide to give that one a go, be sure to drop by and say hello :thumbsup:

Will do ...... and a breakfast after!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sounds like an excuse for a big NSC meet up [emoji106]

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Wow, tonight was tough ....... Thursday is the 25 min straight run!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Initially I thought it easy with 60 secs run, 90 secs walk, repeated 7 times with a 5 min warm up and warm down chucked in. Then you slowly ramp it up, go on, give it a go!

52, hovering around 12.5st and 5’ 8”, not athletic by any stretch of the imagination........

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Only just seen this thread.

Sounds like you doing a great job, have you changed your diet also?

Yes, in stages.

First stage was to cut out all processed meat, I stay away a lot on business so hotel breakfasts are now veggie and no fried food, i.e. hash browns, fried eggs etc.

On the nights I run I try not to touch alcohol, this is my biggest weakness with conferences, meetings and the general boredom of being away.

Have removed snacking also.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm 51, 14st and 5' 11" finished the Couch to 5K a few weeks ago. It's a great program, really easy to follow, no pressure to run a specific distance on any run.

are you following on to Parkruns?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I’m 62 now and completed the couch to 5k last year. If nothing else it reminds you that you can no longer breeze through fitness activity like you did in your twenties. Great programme though so worth sticking to but my advice is to keep going even once you have finished the programme. Sadly I slackened off during this summer what with all the hot weather and easy drinking evenings. It’s too easy then to get back to old bad habits but I am pleased to say I got back on the treadmill earlier this week and immediately feel better for it.

My main advice would be to listen to your body as I suffered a 6 month lay off as my competitive nature meant I knackered my Achilles trying to finish a run rather than easing off when I was in pain.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, in stages.

First stage was to cut out all processed meat, I stay away a lot on business so hotel breakfasts are now veggie and no fried food, i.e. hash browns, fried eggs etc.

On the nights I run I try not to touch alcohol, this is my biggest weakness with conferences, meetings and the general boredom of being away.

Have removed snacking also.

Sounds like you have cracked it!

I started running last year after an absence of 18 years and I did my own program in running, probably similar to the couch to 5k, I also use myfitnesspal.com app and I am on a 1500 a day calories except the days i run on which general works out about once a week if i am not injured!

I do find myself trying for PBs on every run (i suppose that's my competitive nature) which I think I am breaking that habit and just having a go every 3 runs or so!!

Tim, I hope you're running up and down that hill!

Keep up the good work :clap2::clap2::clap2: and stay away from the :drink::drink::drink:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like you have cracked it!

I started running last year after an absence of 18 years and I did my own program in running, probably similar to the couch to 5k, I also use myfitnesspal.com app and I am on a 1500 a day calories except the days i run on which general works out about once a week if i am not injured!

I do find myself trying for PBs on every run (i suppose that's my competitive nature) which I think I am breaking that habit and just having a go every 3 runs or so!!

Tim, I hope you're running up and down that hill!

Keep up the good work :clap2::clap2::clap2: and stay away from the :drink::drink::drink:

Yes, slow and steady is the way to avoid injuries.
That way when you do have a go at beating your PB's you'll be raring to go!

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, slow and steady is the way to avoid injuries.
That way when you do have a go at beating your PB's you'll be raring to go!

Unfortunately slow and steady were never in my vocabulary, but it looks like I will have to play the long game nowadays!

Hey, Bob, I have just started to run to music, you just made me think, I need to be running to Reggae, not Motorhead.

I can feel a PB coming on!!

Don't worry ..........................about a thing........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here