Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A change in diet can do amazing things for the body. Cut out the crap and chemicals and watch the weight fall off. Eat like a cave man (paleo the kids call it) for a few months and you'll be a shadow of yourself in a healthy and sustainable way.

Saying that. I've seen Cough to 5k and have been keen to take it up, but keep making excuses for myself. I cycle a lot and I am fit and healthy, but just don't enjoy running even though I know the benefits are there. Pipe dream of a triathlon one day.

Brilliant :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I recently went on a bit of a health kick and managed to lose two-and-a-half stone in three months. I'm still going as I have set myself the goal of losing three stone. I'm only a few pounds away so I'm highly motivated at the moment.

To start with I did 'Couch to 5K' app and calorie counting with Fitness Pal. This worked really well for me. After a few weeks I found jogging a little frustrating and my knee was really swelling up. So I decided to have a break from jogging and I switched to cycling and calorie counting. It really worked for me and the weight dropped off - which was nice! I didn't do any major trips either, just cycled from my work in Brighton to Rottingdean using those Brighton bikes. It takes about twenty minutes along the undercliff so isn't a huge commitment and is a pretty route to cycle. I did it a few times a week to-and-fro. I highly recommend it!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very true.........it's a simple calories in/calories burned equation for the vast majority.
When you say the vast majority, you mean 100% of all humans, right? Excluding amputations, that is the only equation there is (although some types of food are harder for your body to absorb, meaning they don't really go in, and others make your body work harder, so the calories burned goes up etc).

I've lost about 6 stone since I started running without any real change in my diet (I still eat too much crap, but have got the balance of the equation a bit more even now). I run a bit so I can enjoy my food and drink a bit better.
:thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When you say the vast majority, you mean 100% of all humans, right? Excluding amputations, that is the only equation there is (although some types of food are harder for your body to absorb, meaning they don't really go in, and others make your body work harder, so the calories burned goes up etc).

:thumbsup:

Ooh no, you're missing out all the people who claim 'it's me glands', 'I'm big boned' etc. There are THOUSANDS of them apparently. :D

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Now I'm a fat lad, as some of you know!

At not quite 60 I thought it was time to get back into shape and running, along with cycling and diet is where I need to be. That said I've had a problem with my ankle which isn't helped by me being a "tad" overweight. So I've started the Couch to 5k and I have to say it's working, I'm only a few sessions in but Sarah Millican (my nominated App coach) and I are keeping with it!

Anyone else tried it?

Well done!

I can't run since I had ACL and MCL repairs done on my knee 18 months ago. I work from from home and got given a fitbit. When I realised how inactive I was, it scared me. So now I do the 10,000 steps and at least 30 mins of activity a day. Normally a couple of brisk walks, one at lunch time and one in the evening, and riding my bike when I can. It has made a massive difference to how I feel overall, been doing it for 4 months now. Having an activity monitor has been a great motivation for me, I am trying a whole year of reaching the daily target.

It can be daunting if you do not feel fit just to get started, but if you can get the courage to start slowly it has massive benefits.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I did it. Good fun, actually. But got to 6k, became bored and jacked it in.
Then quit smoking.
Now fat again.

So, stick at it!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With the days now getting cooler and the evenings drawing in, I'm making suitable preparations. Salads are being dodged, Netflix has been fired up and the 5k-To-Couch app installed on my Omsung Phine. Bring on Autumn!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good for you if you're getting out and active.

Just an FYI for those who are interested in their weight though:
While exercise will burn a few calories (like a jelly baby's worth), our weight is mostly down to how many calories we eat.

That may be obvious to many, but it's surprising how many people don't realise. You can lose as much fat as you like without doing any cardio at all (although you should do some weights so you don't lose your muscle too).

I do agree, my problem is I do like a beer, although I'm finding ways to engineer the opportunity out of some social occassions. I spend a lot of "social" time at business events, and hotels, conferences, big breakfasts and client dinners don't make it easy. I've cut out red meat and processed food but must crack carbs and beer .. along with exercise.

I do find if you exercise you focus more on what you're putting into your body also.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Well done Tim and keep it up. I'm also approaching 60 and less than 4 years ago I used the RunDouble couch to 5k app and then moved on to their 5k improver and 5k to 10k apps and I also regularly run the Preston Park Parkrun on Saturday mornings which I can't recommend highly enough (done 130 now). My knees were shot to pieces, hips and ankles not much better and I had a bad back but after a year or so the running actually built up the muscles around all of these meaning I am pretty much injury free and ache less after my runs. I've slipped a bit recently and do just one 5k in addition to the parkrun 5k each week and because I now have a sedentary job instead of a more active one I've put a stone on so I'm 4 minutes off my PB currently but hopefully I'll get back to close to that in the next year. I've run well over 1,000 miles since I started and I feel so much better after my morning run - the exercise seems to improve everything, how well I work and how happy I am and I feel much more enthusiastic for life after a morning run.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well done!

I can't run since I had ACL and MCL repairs done on my knee 18 months ago. I work from from home and got given a fitbit. When I realised how inactive I was, it scared me. So now I do the 10,000 steps and at least 30 mins of activity a day. Normally a couple of brisk walks, one at lunch time and one in the evening, and riding my bike when I can. It has made a massive difference to how I feel overall, been doing it for 4 months now. Having an activity monitor has been a great motivation for me, I am trying a whole year of reaching the daily target.

It can be daunting if you do not feel fit just to get started, but if you can get the courage to start slowly it has massive benefits.

Find me on FitBit, I love trying to stay in the Top 3 of my friends list and welcome as much competition as I can muster!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There is nothing more satisfying than running past a fat wheezy bloke in shiny lycra on his £10,000 carbon fibre boy-toy going up a steep hill :D
[MENTION=7324]Tim Over Whelmed[/MENTION] as regards C25K, it's a brilliant programme for getting into running - I know loads of people that have got into running through it. It's also similar to the programmes used by Run England for the coached beginner programmes used by running clubs. The build-up is deliberately very gradual to avoid injury and making everything seem too hard (which can easily put people off early on). Once you get to running 5k, it's pretty simple then to take that forward with gradual distance increase (aim for no more than 10% cumulatively per week, with some weeks where you plateau or step back a bit) and start to introduce some variety into your programme (hills, intervals etc) . Have regular rest days and cross train too......will all help with injury avoidance and keeping you keen. Also, pop over to the NSC Official Running Thread - loads of advice from others on there from complete beginners and upwards (and without the usual binfests :D)

Thank you for that, a good few years ago I loved getting up on a Sunday and doing a 10k, so I know it's in me it's just losing a bit of weight. Will do, Tim

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I used to work at Kim's.

True story.

Always tried to work out how shops like that survive? Great shop BTW but must be limited opportunities?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I did it. Good fun, actually. But got to 6k, became bored and jacked it in.
Then quit smoking.
Now fat again.

So, stick at it!

Come on, jump back on the bus!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well done Tim and keep it up. I'm also approaching 60 and less than 4 years ago I used the RunDouble couch to 5k app and then moved on to their 5k improver and 5k to 10k apps and I also regularly run the Preston Park Parkrun on Saturday mornings which I can't recommend highly enough (done 130 now). My knees were shot to pieces, hips and ankles not much better and I had a bad back but after a year or so the running actually built up the muscles around all of these meaning I am pretty much injury free and ache less after my runs. I've slipped a bit recently and do just one 5k in addition to the parkrun 5k each week and because I now have a sedentary job instead of a more active one I've put a stone on so I'm 4 minutes off my PB currently but hopefully I'll get back to close to that in the next year. I've run well over 1,000 miles since I started and I feel so much better after my morning run - the exercise seems to improve everything, how well I work and how happy I am and I feel much more enthusiastic for life after a morning run.

What is ParkRun, is it as simple as it sounds, you turn up and all abilities run around a course?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
What is ParkRun, is it as simple as it sounds, you turn up and all abilities run around a course?

That's pretty much it, but also you register and get a barcode and when you cross the line your time is recorded, you get a position number tag which you have scanned along with your barcode and a couple of hours later you get your time. You get free running shirts when you've run 50, 100 and 250 parkruns and a lot of people stay for coffee and a chat afterwards at Andy Rollings cafe in PP. The events are run by volunteers and it's a non-profit organisation funded by sponsors. A fantastic initiative and I try to run the local parkrun when I'm away - I did the Monsal trail in the peak district recently. Times range from 15 minutes to 50 minutes and everyone is encourage by everyone else. There are getting on for 500 each Saturday at Preston Park. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/prestonpark/results/latestresults/ There are 3 or 4 in Brighton and quite a few elsewhere.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Ooh no, you're missing out all the people who claim 'it's me glands', 'I'm big boned' etc. There are THOUSANDS of them apparently. :D

What about the type 1 diabetics - the ones that must inject insulin? [me] THese folk take up ~10% of the diabetic population in the UK.
We are not normal people in this respect, our focus is carb intake rather than calories since our insulin dosage is matched to carb intake [counting grams of carbs].

Body fuel [fast acting] is carbohydrate not calories. For info, the are 4 calories in 1 gram of carb, 4 calories in 1 gram of protein and 9 calories in 1 gram of fat.
The body will not burn fat all the while there is insulin in the system - this is most of the time for a type 1 diabetic as we take a background 24hr slow-acting [basal] insulin.
However, reverting to a zero carb [Atkins] diet, whilst enabling insulin injections to cease, will quickly create keytones [waste product of fat-burn] - this is a toxin which is lethal [in days] if levels are allowed to rise.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's pretty much it, but also you register and get a barcode and when you cross the line your time is recorded, you get a position number tag which you have scanned along with your barcode and a couple of hours later you get your time. You get free running shirts when you've run 50, 100 and 250 parkruns and a lot of people stay for coffee and a chat afterwards at Andy Rollings cafe in PP. The events are run by volunteers and it's a non-profit organisation funded by sponsors. A fantastic initiative and I try to run the local parkrun when I'm away - I did the Monsal trail in the peak district recently. Times range from 15 minutes to 50 minutes and everyone is encourage by everyone else. There are getting on for 500 each Saturday at Preston Park. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/prestonpark/results/latestresults/ There are 3 or 4 in Brighton and quite a few elsewhere.

How does the scanning thing work? Do you just sort of wave your barcode around in the air or do you have to queue up at a barcode reader at the beginning and end? Would queueing affect your PB?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Whilst I am not excusing the 'I walked to the shops to buy a packet of crisps and a king size Mars Bar but put on weight' brigade, how active - or not - your thyroid gland is can have a massive impact on your weight. I put on 2 stone where I was exercising well and eating reasonably when it was exactly that.

Anyone putting on weight but exercising or eating reasonably well, with low energy, sleeps too much but sweats very little is displaying classic under active thyroid symptoms. There are plenty of people about with it. Equally if you weigh next to nothing, can't sleep, sweat like it's 40 degrees, are on edge all the time, can eat like a dustbin and have more energy than a Duracell bunny on speed it's doing too much. You'd be amazed how much impact that one gland has on your body notwithstanding some people use any old shitehouse excuse.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How does the scanning thing work? Do you just sort of wave your barcode around in the air or do you have to queue up at a barcode reader at the beginning and end? Would queueing affect your PB?

I did my last one a year ago so I really need to go again.

From what I remember everyone has the same start time (ie when the race starts), however as you finish someone will see you cross the line and produce a ticket. They hand that to you and you then walk to another person who scans your personal barcode and your finish time ticket.

I may have remembered that completely incorrectly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here