Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think that there should be a definite time limit on the Parkrun, but it would be good if there was more positive encouragement to challenge participants to do the course as fast as they can. I've nothing but admiration for the octogenarians that plod round in 40-45 mins; they have to put some effort in for that. What annoys me is when you get relatively young people walking at an easy pace for the entire 5K who cross the line without even getting close to being out of breath, probably because that would make it hard for them to gas away with their mate for the hour it takes them to finish.

I think I have taken on some of the attitude of my old PE teacher (in the late 80s), who would jog at the back of the field during cross country PE lessons weilding a branch that he'd broken off of a tree, which he described as the 'whipper stick', to encourage any boys that he didn't feel were putting in the required amount of effort. Happy times.

Yup, we should start a campaign to bring back the whipper stick (said in a Grandpa Simpson type voice) :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Completed week 6 this morning without the aid of the whipper stick woohoo! Some light whimpering experienced around the 23 minute mark but otherwise not unduly unpleasant.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Completed week 6 this morning without the aid of the whipper stick woohoo! Some light whimpering experienced around the 23 minute mark but otherwise not unduly unpleasant.

Good job – well done!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Fell off the wagon at Week 7/3 doh! Last run was 28 Oct, think I'll re-do Week 6 and get back on it, have man flu last week or so, just wait another couple of days for all symptoms to subside and back on it from Saturday! What a p**** I am, after doing so well, but hey ho, back to it by Saturday!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fell off the wagon at Week 7/3 doh! Last run was 28 Oct, think I'll re-do Week 6 and get back on it, have man flu last week or so, just wait another couple of days for all symptoms to subside and back on it from Saturday! What a p**** I am, after doing so well, but hey ho, back to it by Saturday!

No harm done. Body will probably like a break. Now to get back on it!

I've just had 2 weeks man flu and no desire to run. Went with the body and had a holiday.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No harm done. Body will probably like a break. Now to get back on it!

I've just had 2 weeks man flu and no desire to run. Went with the body and had a holiday.

Thank you and fair points!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I have got back in to doing this. Managed to reach week 6 a few years ago. Currently on week 3.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I lost most of last week to man flu. Don’t fell bad about it, these things happen. Step back a week and just crack on, forget the ‘missing’ week, it’s irrelevant.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

D

Deleted member 2719

Good shout and challenge accepted!

Go for it Tim, get some loooooooove music in your ears, spandau etc, you can do it, I zone out at 3k as that is the mentally toughest km to me, 4k is just bring yourself home.
I have stepped up my training from every 10 days to every 4 days and put some intervals (like suggested on the running thread) and I have seen some impressive results and barriers crashed through, what I didn't think I could do.

You will be surprised when mind and body work together what you can conquer.:thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I lost most of last week to man flu. Don’t fell bad about it, these things happen. Step back a week and just crack on, forget the ‘missing’ week, it’s irrelevant.

I've lost a lot of the past two months to being a right lazy git! Nothing wrong with having a bit of time out – as long as you get back on it, you'll be absolutely fine.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Go for it Tim, get some loooooooove music in your ears, spandau etc, you can do it, I zone out at 3k as that is the mentally toughest km to me, 4k is just bring yourself home.
I have stepped up my training from every 10 days to every 4 days and put some intervals (like suggested on the running thread) and I have seen some impressive results and barriers crashed through, what I didn't think I could do.

You will be surprised when mind and body work together what you can conquer.:thumbsup:

:wink: Thank you, amazing what a bit of Earth, Wind & Fire or Spandau can do!!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've lost a lot of the past two months to being a right lazy git! Nothing wrong with having a bit of time out – as long as you get back on it, you'll be absolutely fine.

Friend that's a Dr said make sure I've properly shifted the cough etc and then straight back on it!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Friend that's a Dr said make sure I've properly shifted the cough etc and then straight back on it!

General rule I've always applied is that if it's 'above the neck' (mild coughs, colds etc) then it's usually OK to run (with reduced intensity if you're not up to much), but if it's on the chest/bronchial then you're better off not running. As it starts to clear up, a run often seems to speed up the process (you may leave trail of snot rockets on your route.....)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
General rule I've always applied is that if it's 'above the neck' (mild coughs, colds etc) then it's usually OK to run (with reduced intensity if you're not up to much), but if it's on the chest/bronchial then you're better off not running. As it starts to clear up, a run often seems to speed up the process (you may leave trail of snot rockets on your route.....)

Yes, very much on the chest and snotty!

D

Deleted member 2719

y

Yes, very much on the chest and snotty!

Goose fat mixed with Vicks and a touch of chilli, into a paste and then crammed into a cricket box to hold it in place will sort your cough out.

**disclaimer, I am not a medical professional, so please don't shoot the messenger**

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Goose fat mixed with Vicks and a touch of chilli, into a paste and then crammed into a cricket box to hold it in place will sort your cough out.

**disclaimer, I am not a medical professional, so please don't shoot the messenger**

It's tempting, but I'll keep trying the Hall's Soothers and Ibuprofen for a while longer thanks! :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here