Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Specsavers CC Div 2, Durham CCC v Sussex CCC, Chester-le-Street, 10-13 Sept 2018***

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We've overtaken our first innings total :clap2:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
We need to find at least 3 new batsmen to go into our top 5.

Only 2 teams across the divisions have more batting points.

Like most teams this season, Sussex have struggled to bat. It’s a bowlers summer. Sussex have done better than most. 3rd in the table and a loss away to Durham is no disaster, as frustrating as it may be.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So what needs to happen for us to get promoted ?

I have not had time to work it out yet. But Kent play Glamorgan at home and Warwickshire away. We play Warwickshire at home and Northants away.

Attachments

• table 11.jpeg
    table 11.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 201

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Who's good with a spreadsheet

Information is outdated. Bonus points are rewarded for first 110 overs. Maxmin of 3 bowling points, and 400+ scores 5 batting points.

3-5Ws, 1 bonus point
6-8ws, 2 bonus points
9+, 3 bonus points

200-249, 1 point
250,299, 2 points
300-349, 3 points
350-399, 4 points
400+, 5 points

Win = 16
Tie = 8
Draw = 5

Maximum bonus points and a win is 24 points. A draw plus maximum bonus points is 13 points.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
If two teams tie on points, I’m fairly certain the team with the most wins assume the higher table position.

Sussex need 22 to catch Kent, 34 to catch Warwickshire.

If Warwickshire win just 1 more game (or obtain 14 points), we can’t catch them. If Kent secure 26 points from 2 games we can’t catch them. The fewer bonus points Sussex get, the easier it gets for our competitors. It’s unrealistic to expect maximum bonus points once, let alone twice.

So, if Sussex win both remaining games we’d need Warwickshire to lose twice or Kent to draw after loosing to Warwickshire basically.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I was at the game today. Durham outplayed us and fully deserved the win. But I think the game was lost in our first innings, when we had to take advantage of better batting conditions and secure a big lead, but failed to do so.
Our batting is not really good enough to make us strong contenders, but it's good to see some young players being given an opportunity. If they continue to improve, and Wells, Wright and van Zyl return to form next year, maybe we can do it.....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If two teams tie on points, I’m fairly certain the team with the most wins assume the higher table position.

Sussex need 22 to catch Kent, 34 to catch Warwickshire.

If Warwickshire win just 1 more game (or obtain 14 points), we can’t catch them. If Kent secure 26 points from 2 games we can’t catch them. The fewer bonus points Sussex get, the easier it gets for our competitors. It’s unrealistic to expect maximum bonus points once, let alone twice.

So, if Sussex win both remaining games we’d need Warwickshire to lose twice or Kent to draw after loosing to Warwickshire basically.

I think you can safely assume that Kent will beat Glamorgan so I think Sussex have to beat Warwickshire (and Northants of course) and hope Kent do likewise. You have to imagine that given the time of year, weather may also have a big say in events, which isn't good news (for Sussex).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think you can safely assume that Kent will beat Glamorgan so I think Sussex have to beat Warwickshire (and Northants of course) and hope Kent do likewise. You have to imagine that given the time of year, weather may also have a big say in events, which isn't good news (for Sussex).

poor seasons for all of our experienced batsmen has ultimately done for us .
If we’d have had a decent overseas batter we’d be going up comfortably.
The good news is it’s been a breakthrough year for some of the younguns. Salt, finch, rawlins and Haines have all done well.
Also the bowling attack is high end. How long can we keep it together though ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was at the game today. Durham outplayed us and fully deserved the win. But I think the game was lost in our first innings, when we had to take advantage of better batting conditions and secure a big lead, but failed to do so.
Our batting is not really good enough to make us strong contenders, but it's good to see some young players being given an opportunity. If they continue to improve, and Wells, Wright and van Zyl return to form next year, maybe we can do it.....

Haven't we got the most batting points in Div 2 this season?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For Kent vs Warwickshire 2018 read Spurs v Southampton 1978.

A high scoring draw, methinks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Where's it being played? If Canterbury, no chance

A day one piefest with a dose of 20/20 could see both of them take maximum batting and bonus points with the match all square going into the second innings. It would happen in Russia.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The BBC really don't give a shit about county cricket, do they? Surrey have just won the County Championship and there's not a single mention of it on the BBC Sport home page. Instead, the headline story is some boxing match which is happening at the weekend, followed by them still banging on about the Women's US Open Final.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A day one piefest with a dose of 20/20 could see both of them take maximum batting and bonus points with the match all square going into the second innings. It would happen in Russia.

Kent couldn't take maximum batting points if the opening bowlers were Coco the Clown and Mr Pastry.

Besides, cricket doesn't work like that, teams who try to fix the system generally get dog's abuse for doing so

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The BBC really don't give a shit about county cricket, do they? Surrey have just won the County Championship and there's not a single mention of it on the BBC Sport home page. Instead, the headline story is some boxing match which is happening at the weekend, followed by them still banging on about the Women's US Open Final.

Well it is Surrey, does that fact need much coverage outside of South London

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

It's their lead story now and has been for a couple of hours. Panic over.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's their lead story now and has been for a couple of hours. Panic over.

It's the lead story on the Cricket page but not the Sport page, unless the international version I'm seeing is different to the UK one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here