Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This incident was a high level sports woman having a hissy fit and breaking the rules. However unacceptable to some, it was also an incident of a high level black sports woman having a hissy fit and breaking the rules..........

If she'd have been white, the same amount of mockery would have been appropriate. But she wasn't/isn't. C'est la vie.........equality rules. Are you advocating special rules for black people? I would find that totally racist and unacceptable.

Mmmmmm.....I thought she had been mocked for being a tit, and the Aussie newspaper was being mocked for drawing her like a 'sambo'? Two reprehensible and not mutually exclusive things. Not sure why people feel the need to defend one or other of them, or compare and contrast. :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are many different ways to draw a caricature of Serena and the artist chose this one. He claims that he has no knowledge of the 'Sambo' style cartoons his work echoes. I find this very difficult to believe, being that he is a cartoonist and it is clearly his area.

This incident was a high level sports woman having a hissy fit and breaking the rules.

Shame on Serena for making this a gender issue and shame on the Herald Sun for making it a race issue. It is worth noting here that the Herald Sun certainly has form for making things about race.

Can you show some examples of what you consider to be acceptable caricatures of Williams then?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Are you advocating special rules for black people? I would find that totally racist and unacceptable.

I don't think there has been anything in my posts to suggest that I am advocating this.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

The Google link shows cartoons almost exclusively of Williams with big hair, big bum, big lips and big mouth - so obviously millions of miles away from the cartoon everyone is getting so vexed about (not).

Caricatures are designed to highlight noticeable features which these do...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Google link shows cartoons almost exclusively of Williams with big hair, big bum, big lips and big mouth - so obviously millions of miles away from the cartoon everyone is getting so vexed about (not).

Caricatures are designed to highlight noticeable features which these do...

I have no problem with caricatures accentuating features, of course that is their thing. Maybe they are not a million miles away but for me they don't cross a line.

I don't think I was alone in my reaction when I saw the Herald Sun cartoon. I immediately thought of those Sambo style cartoons from years ago and I thought it was in poor taste to publish them. Those google ones didn't evoke the same response to the same degree.

Not everyone had the same response as me, although clear a large number did. We will all experience these kind of things differently.

The question is should the cartoonist have known the reaction the picture was going to get and did the paper in question hope for said reaction?

To me the answer to both parts of the question is 'yes'.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stay classy tennis:-

[tweet]1046024008532144131[/tweet]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions