Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If you are going to quote, can you please give the full relevant quote, not just the bit that suits your point:

"I was coaching but I don't think she looked at me," Mouratoglou said. "Sash [Osaka's coach Sascha Bajin] was coaching as well. Everybody does it."

The quote was purely edited for brevity, but many thanks for providing the full relevant quote as it only furthers the point being made here!

The point was that the coach admitted to illegally coaching. Uses the 'but she wasn't benefitting from it' line. Then says that 'everyone does it'.

Neither of the 2 excuses is in any way defensible, regardless of any possible validity to the second one.

Another quote (in full) was the following:

"You are a liar. You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live. When are you going to give me my apology? Say you are sorry."

Pretty sure that she won't get to decide who umpires her future matches, that's for the relevant tournament organising committee.

And as far as apologies go, the overwhelming feeling now is that Serena needs to look closer to home when deciding who should make them.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I feel so sorry for the Japanese girl. She deservedly won her first major and instead of being able to celebrate it, she is reduced to tears and all the talk is about the trashy Williams woman.

Classless piece of trash!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
TV coverage shows a disrespectful American crowd, some draped in Stars & Stripes, ruining the winner's moment. The crowd were anti the oveseas winner and anti the umpire. The commentators have said that she hasn't even smiled. There's harmless patriotism and there's brute, rude nationalism.

Never mind, the Ryder Cup its on its way soon. Thankfully not in the US this time, but presumably there'll still be a contingent of red-faced overweight Yanks bellowing "Get in da hole" into the Europeans' faces.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The quote was purely edited for brevity, but many thanks for providing the full relevant quote as it only furthers the point being made here!

The point was that the coach admitted to illegally coaching. Uses the 'but she wasn't benefitting from it' line. Then says that 'everyone does it'.

Neither of the 2 excuses is in any way defensible, regardless of any possible validity to the second one.

Another quote (in full) was the following:

"You are a liar. You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live. When are you going to give me my apology? Say you are sorry."

Pretty sure that she won't get to decide who umpires her future matches, that's for the relevant tournament organising committee.

And as far as apologies go, the overwhelming feeling now is that Serena needs to look closer to home when deciding who should make them.

Continuing on the quote theme, here’s someone’s view (who also wasn’t liked by the tennis establishment as she was also”different”) I respect more than yours:

“American 12-time Grand Slam singles champion Bille Jean King, one of the founders of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) backed Williams, saying: "When a woman is emotional, she's 'hysterical' and she's penalised for it. When a man does the same, he's 'outspoken' and there are no repercussions.

"Thank you, Serena Williams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same."”

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
You can take the girl out of Compton but you can never take Compton out of the girl....

She is a disgrace...this has zero to do with sexism and thiefery...IT'S GAMESWOMANSHIP AND CHEATING!

Tantrums and blatant cheating (coaching) led to two code violations, before the game docking. In any other situation we would all be roundly applauding the referee but because it's Serena Williams, who has a history of similar outbursts, the umpire gets it in the neck.

What a way to show young kids how to behave and what a way to get them to be involved in a high profile game like tennis...Shocking..I would ban her for a year...let's hope the USLTA agree.

TNBA

TTF

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
It's not fair. The umpire took the point away because she was a woman and wouldn't have dare do this to a man. She was standing up for every women on the planet.

This is pretty much what the majority of twitter is saying.

:ffsparr:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Continuing on the quote theme, here’s someone’s view (who also wasn’t liked by the tennis establishment as she was also”different”) I respect more than yours:

“American 12-time Grand Slam singles champion Bille Jean King, one of the founders of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) backed Williams, saying: "When a woman is emotional, she's 'hysterical' and she's penalised for it. When a man does the same, he's 'outspoken' and there are no repercussions.

"Thank you, Serena Williams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same."”

Remember David Nalbandion getting disqualified in 2012 when he lost his cool. Yes he pretty much booted a line judge but he didn't get away with it because he was a man.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Yes, I saw BJK's quote. However, the loss of control being viewed as 'emotional' and evidence of sexism in the sport doesn't excuse Serena's oncourt behaviour and comments.

Respectfully, that's an entirely separate argument and could be perceived as deflecting blame from coach and player.

A former vice-president of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP), Richard Ings, defended the decisions by umpire Ramos, saying the penalties are "warranted".

"ALL three code violations were warranted under the rules.

Clear coaching. Warning

Clear cracked racket. Point

Clear unsporting conduct questioning the integrity of the chair umpire by calling him a “thief”. Game

Solid officiating by Carlos"

As for the 'double standards' argument, Jeff Tarango was banned by the ITF from participating at Wimbledon in 1996 because of his outburst there a year earlier. Repercussions for men have always existed and still do today.

Serena can console herself in the knowledge that it's unlikely that she'll be banned from tournaments any time soon.

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
What she should have said was: "You can't be serious".

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Actually I can see Serena's point. There is inconsistency in application of penalties in tennis. Just look at the behaviour of Kyrious over the last few years and the amount he has got away with. I don't know enough about tennis to know whether it is sexism but would be interested to see the subject researched. Having said that Serena's behaviour was pretty poor.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Actually I can see Serena's point. There is inconsistency in application of penalties in tennis. Just look at the behaviour of Kyrious over the last few years and the amount he has got away with. I don't know enough about tennis to know whether it is sexism but would be interested to see the subject researched. Having said that Serena's behaviour was pretty poor.

You mean all the fines and suspension he's copped and the reputation he's gotten from being a complete **** of a person?

What's he getting away with exactly?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You mean all the fines and suspension he's copped and the reputation he's gotten from being a complete **** of a person?

What's he getting away with exactly?

well, I did say I didn't know much about tennis !:shrug:
A family member was at the Australian Open final the year he spent the entire match telling the umpire to F off and seemingly got away with it. Unsure if that is typical.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
There were repercussions for John McEnroe as well back in the day.

In 1984 he was suspended for 21 days for exceeding a 7,500 US dollars limit put on fines that had been instigated because of his behaviour when he demanded of an umpire, "Answer the question, jerk". And he was thrown out of the Australian Open in 1990 for swearing at an umpire, the tournament supervisor and referee.

Repercussions have always been there in tennis. It's just now that Serena as a woman will receive the consequences of her actions that it's unfair.

What's more unfair is women playing a maximum of 3 sets whilst men play 5 for the same prize money.

There's little equality there.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008

If a female tennis player kicked an umpire in the unmentionables Billie Jean King would say it was fine for her to do it .

Regardless who is right or wrong you cannot react to an official like that (imagine that being any other sport) she not only thinks she is above the law but thinks because she is female has carte blanche to get away with it .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here