Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Living in Newhaven or Seaford

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Newhaven has awaited town centre developement for ages. Many plans but little happens except industrial developement such as the incinerator and harbour works. It has the fort, Paradise Park and there are some nice victorian and edwardian houses but it is let down by the centre.

We have lived in Seaford for over 20 years now so maybe my comments are biased but Seaford is busting town by the sea with a good local shopping centre plus a wide variety of housing, albeit usually more expensive than Newhaven. It used to be populated by older middle class but that has changed as young families have moved in due to high prices in Brighton and Eastbourne. Most schools have a good reputation and we have found folk very friendly. Plus the Sea, Downs and Cuckmere haven give some more pluses.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
I live in Denton, which in a bizarre way feels detached from Newhaven. Kids love it here and are lucky to fall in catchment area for Seaford Head school, which is an outstanding performing school. As others have said great to go to either Eastbourne or Brighton, whether it be public transport or driving.

If you travel to the Amex via public transport then from door to door (walking to the station) Its approx 30+ mins if you time it right

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newhaven has awaited town centre developement for ages. Many plans but little happens except industrial developement such as the incinerator and harbour works. It has the fort, Paradise Park and there are some nice victorian and edwardian houses but it is let down by the centre.

We have lived in Seaford for over 20 years now so maybe my comments are biased but Seaford is busting town by the sea with a good local shopping centre plus a wide variety of housing, albeit usually more expensive than Newhaven. It used to be populated by older middle class but that has changed as young families have moved in due to high prices in Brighton and Eastbourne. Most schools have a good reputation and we have found folk very friendly. Plus the Sea, Downs and Cuckmere haven give some more pluses.

Cuckmere Valley, Litlington, East Dean, Seven Sisters, some hidden valleys in the South Downs ..... are all heavenly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I live in Denton, which in a bizarre way feels detached from Newhaven. Kids love it here and are lucky to fall in catchment area for Seaford Head school, which is an outstanding performing school. As others have said great to go to either Eastbourne or Brighton, whether it be public transport or driving.

If you travel to the Amex via public transport then from door to door (walking to the station) Its approx 30+ mins if you time it right

I rather like what I have seen of Denton. More of a family place from the impression I get?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is The Flying Fish an Albion stronghold?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hi folks. I'm after a bit of advice, my wife and I are looking at the possibility of purchasing a property in Newhaven or Seaford. Apart from going to Dieppe back in the 80's I've never stopped in Newhaven until this afternoon or even Seaford. I was very surprised at how very quiet Newhaven town centre was. On the other hand we popped over to Seaford and was pleasantly surprised by how attractive the town was compared to Newhaven. My questions are, does Newhaven have a redevelopement plan on the horizon? What are the good areas of each town and also the areas to avoid? Also, what are the pros and cons of each town. We would appreciate and feedback as we know very little about either town. Ta very much.

I have lived in Newhaven since 2001 and lived in Seaford before that for 3 years.
Both towns are OK to be fair.
Seaford has got a better town centre and some very expensive houses, can't think of anything negative to say about the place.

Newhaven is a proper working town, rough around the edges but i think there is a proper community feel here.
I live on the outskirts of the town and enjoy living here after spending many years in busy parts of Brighton, I like having the countryside minutes away, but also like having the town and stations within walking distance.

Feel free to ask me any questions on here or by pm.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's kind of why I asked about redevelopment in Newhaven, at the moment if there are no plans to bring new business into Newhaven we may be better off buying in Seaford.

Toolstation opened here recently :D and a Londis supermarket is coming soon in the high street.
A few new shops have opened in the high street this year, it's looking better than 2 years ago.

Many new businesses have opened on the industrial estates.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Whats happening with this 'road bridge' across Tidemills? Is that an actual thing?

They've built that new road down the east side of the port (past McDonalds etc) with absolutely nothing down there

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whats happening with this 'road bridge' across Tidemills? Is that an actual thing?

They've built that new road down the east side of the port (past McDonalds etc) with absolutely nothing down there

Nothing down there? ??? Not true there is a double decker bus converted into a cafe :D

I read something about a plan to build a concreate plant run by the company Tarmac, not sure of the exact details.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here