Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stockdale to Sarfend .. (how the mighty fall)..

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Heading back south he is..

Birmingham City have loaned goalkeeper David Stockdale to Southend United on a rolling seven-day deal after receiving emergency dispensation to add cover.

The Shrimpers are without the suspended Mark Oxley for three games, Ted Smith is out with a shoulder injury, with Nathan Bishop the only fit custodian.

Stockdale, 32, joined Blues last year from Premier League side Brighton.

"It's just fantastic for us to have a goalkeeper of David's calibre," said Southend boss Chris Powell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45459600

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Heading back south he is..

Birmingham City have loaned goalkeeper David Stockdale to Southend United on a rolling seven-day deal after receiving emergency dispensation to add cover.

The Shrimpers are without the suspended Mark Oxley for three games, Ted Smith is out with a shoulder injury, with Nathan Bishop the only fit custodian.

Stockdale, 32, joined Blues last year from Premier League side Brighton.

"It's just fantastic for us to have a goalkeeper of David's calibre," said Southend boss Chris Powell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45459600

So, he's getting paid thousands of pounds to go to Southend for a week. Some fall!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Couldn't you have posted the news without the sarcastic 'how the mighty fall'?

Yes, he turned down a contract with us, but he was an integral part of the team that got us promoted to the Premier League. What he did is to accept a contract, which was suitable for him and his family.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think it's quite fair to say he has fallen from grace. He could have been a Prem keeper now, instead he's at Southend, and all this in just about two seasons.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It does go to show that the grass isn’t always greener. Still, he is getting well paid for a week at the seaside.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Had he stayed with us he could well have been called up by England instead of Bettinelli as I am sure he is his equivalent. It would have depended on how many appearances that he made for us.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Couldn't you have posted the news without the sarcastic 'how the mighty fall'?

Yes, he turned down a contract with us, but he was an integral part of the team that got us promoted to the Premier League. What he did is to accept a contract, which was suitable for him and his family.

Well, everything he came out with subsequently suggested he took the decision to bring some stability to his family life. Where was going back to his weight problems, getting dropped and commuting to Southend from the Midlands in his "all for the family" plans?

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Too many people are harsh on Stockdale, it's not like he pulled a Buckley, Bridcutt or dare I say Stephens or Dunk by trying to hold us at random.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’s not getting first team football, so will probably be glad of a game. He’s dropped a lot of weight off as well lately.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Had he stayed with us he could well have been called up by England instead of Bettinelli as I am sure he is his equivalent. It would have depended on how many appearances that he made for us.

Don’t be silly , he would not of even been first choice keeper ,

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Well, everything he came out with subsequently suggested he took the decision to bring some stability to his family life. Where was going back to his weight problems, getting dropped and commuting to Southend from the Midlands in his "all for the family" plans?

Life is complicated

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don’t be silly , he would not of even been first choice keeper ,

Can you imagine this place if Stockdale had stayed.
If you thought Ryan got a load of shite from the simpletons on here, then, that would be nothing if Stockpot was looming over him

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It's easy to point the finger with hindsight. He went for more money and a longer contract.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Had he stayed with us he wouldn't even have been called up by Brighton! - not in the league anyway, where I think Maty was ever-present.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Final score at Roots Hall: Southend 2-3 Peterborough

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
He's on a 7 day rolling contract with Southend. He'll play a couple of games if that and then back to Brum
He wants to play football and Birmingham , for whatever reasons - most of which aren't anything to do with him, won't play him. Not sure why there's all the gloating, jokes and schadenfreude about it.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I’ve said this before but I’ve never understood this dislike of Stockdale. If I remember correctly we were offering him a one year contract and he probably knew we were going to sign Matty Ryan. He must have known his chances of first team football were going to be slim.

He spent a lot of his career being a benchwarmer in the Premier League and probably just wanted to play first team football, and if he can get more money for it all the better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t have enjoyed his debut, Peterborough had three shots on target and scored three goals.

First time I have looked at League One this season. I had no idea that Steve Evans was Peterborough manager or that this is Peterborough’s best ever start to a season with 19 points from 7 games. Must be fun watching them at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here