Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stockdale to Sarfend .. (how the mighty fall)..

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Can’t have enjoyed his debut, Peterborough had three shots on target and scored three goals.

First time I have looked at League One this season. I had no idea that Steve Evans was Peterborough manager or that this is Peterborough’s best ever start to a season with 19 points from 7 games. Must be fun watching them at the moment.

Must admit I've always had a soft spot for the Posh, partly because I always leave there having seen a good Albion result. Have to say that they were a pretty entertaining side when we were down there with them under Gus. The "We're f*****g brilliant" match was one of my greatest away days, when we ruined their "cup final"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it's quite fair to say he has fallen from grace. He could have been a Prem keeper now, instead he's at Southend, and all this in just about two seasons.

I don't. Rather than him rejecting us, I think it was far more that we were always looking to bring someone in -- or Ryan, specifically -- as our number one. Where would he be a PL keeper.
Stockdale was absolutely immense for us, but I'm glad we've got Ryan between the sticks now.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
That is not what many on here thought when we signed Ryan. There was much shouting for DS to be back up to Hart and Pickford above Heaton.

Whilst he was great for us in the Championship, Ryan has been a notable upgrade on DS and as others have said I think he knew first team appearances were under threat had he stayed with us. Stockdale is a great shot stopper on his day but always has a clanger in him and a habit of parrying shots back into the six yard box. Not sure we would have stayed up last season with him between the sticks.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The Championship is a good league and players borderline good enough to be in the Prem but who choose to play there, I can kind of see it.

Failing at Birmingham and then moving to Southend is a totally different thing than starting and excelling for a team in the Championship's top half though.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He's on a 7 day rolling contract with Southend. He'll play a couple of games if that and then back to Brum
He wants to play football and Birmingham , for whatever reasons - most of which aren't anything to do with him, won't play him. Not sure why there's all the gloating, jokes and schadenfreude about it.

Gary Monk has tried to bomb out the higher paid players - without much success - whom Redknapp bought in for 2 reasons. FFP and inequality in the dressing room. Arrys splurge on overpaid players has meant there was vast differentials between the highest and lowest paid with a high degree of resentment and anything but a #together atmosphere at BCFC. Monk has frozen out several highly paid with an attempt to bring the kids through and remove the split (and Tomasz Kuszczak for some reason). As well as this DS has had weight issues again and has been seen as a troublemaker - rightly or wrongly - following a training ground scrap last year.

As a general point, for those who think he is getting abuse on this thread you should work in my office in the Midlands. There are some who despise Stockdale to a Mark Farringtonesque degree that I sometimes double check they are talking about the same player we had in goal. He is generally about as popular as a fart in a lift.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He was good in his time but that has now past. He makes too many mistakes for the Premier League which potentially cost millions. Ryan is not perfect and has a few 'could have done betters' but overall is far more reliable and is much more likely to save one than let one in.

At the last knockings he missed the thing, Villa equalised and we lost two points and the Championship. After that there was no way back as No 1.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Stockdale, a gentleman one of my favourite players! How the mighty have fallen is harsh, tends to be reserved for people who deserve a fall from grace for me anyway. If you are happier getting more game at a lower level rather than being a bench warmer, total respect. If you're happier at work, well, lifes too short. Good luck at whatever club you are at

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think it's quite fair to say he has fallen from grace. He could have been a Prem keeper now, instead he's at Southend, and all this in just about two seasons.

That's what happens to a ''bang average'' keeper when he no longer plays behind a defence consisting of Duffy and Dunk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Too many people are harsh on Stockdale, it's not like he pulled a Buckley, Bridcutt or dare I say Stephens or Dunk by trying to hold us at random.

Interesting point you make. Stephens acted far worse than Stockdale.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gary Monk has tried to bomb out the higher paid players - without much success - whom Redknapp bought in for 2 reasons. FFP and inequality in the dressing room. Arrys splurge on overpaid players has meant there was vast differentials between the highest and lowest paid with a high degree of resentment and anything but a #together atmosphere at BCFC. Monk has frozen out several highly paid with an attempt to bring the kids through and remove the split (and Tomasz Kuszczak for some reason). As well as this DS has had weight issues again and has been seen as a troublemaker - rightly or wrongly - following a training ground scrap last year.

As a general point, for those who think he is getting abuse on this thread you should work in my office in the Midlands. There are some who despise Stockdale to a Mark Farringtonesque degree that I sometimes double check they are talking about the same player we had in goal. He is generally about as popular as a fart in a lift.

Yet, when I see Birmingham fans on Twitter, many of them sympathise with him and wishes he was playing. It's worth noting that Kuszczak has also been sidelined.

Interesting point you make. Stephens acted far worse than Stockdale.

Dunk too. He refused to play, so many of the cogniscenti on Nsc told us when Fulham wanted him.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
How is that? He stood very little chance of stopping any of the goals and as NOO BHA says he didnt have Duffy and Dunk in front of him but a poor defence.

Parrying it into the path of the striker surely he should have done better than? The defence didn't help him but he would be disappointed with that one

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gone on 7 day loan to Wycombe Wanderers.................that picture actually looks a bit sad.

[tweet]1065632268927070209[/tweet]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So Stocko's grand tour of the noddy leagues continues. Shame he didn't sign that years extension here, I'd have been happy to have had him as backup to Maty (assuming he could steer clear of Greggs).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So Stocko's grand tour of the noddy leagues continues. Shame he didn't sign that years extension here, I'd have been happy to have had him as backup to Maty (assuming he could steer clear of Greggs).

Surely a decision he will live to regret since his career has nosedived ever since?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here