Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stockdale to Sarfend .. (how the mighty fall)..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely a decision he will live to regret since his career has nosedived ever since?

He flushed his career down the toilet, but he got a 3 year contract out of 'Arry so I'm sure he's not short of a few bob for now.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think people forget what a top bloke he was and it is sad that his departure was so unsatisfying for all. He really played an important part in our promotion and deserves to be remembered more fondly.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Except he's reputedly on more money and playing football, which he wouldn't be as back-up to Maty.

He helped get us in the PL. Let's move on, eh?

PG

I've moved on ages ago. Doesn't stop people including myself discussing stuff like this on a football forum. eh ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think people forget what a top bloke he was and it is sad that his departure was so unsatisfying for all. He really played an important part in our promotion and deserves to be remembered more fondly.

He was a BIG part in getting us promoted but he did also lose us the Championship with pretty well the last kick of the season.

I enjoyed his time here and some of the saves were stunning.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was a BIG part in getting us promoted but he did also lose us the Championship with pretty well the last kick of the season.

That penalty double-stop vs MASSIVE was one of the highlights of the season for me, one of the best saves I've seen. Then when we stole it in the last minute of that game, I truly started to believe we were PL bound.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Except he's reputedly on more money and playing football, which he wouldn't be as back-up to Maty.

PG

Er - he is NOT playing football - he hasn't featured for Birmingham all season - which is why he's available for a one week emergency loan to Wycombe!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

PG

Both him and Kuszczak are training with the youth, not Birmingham's first team. Their present manager doesn't want either of them.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Er - he is NOT playing football - he hasn't featured for Birmingham all season - which is why he's available for a one week emergency loan to Wycombe!

Fair enough, I thought he'd played more at Southend than the 3 games he did. Probably 2 more than he would have played here, mind. Presumably Wycombe need him to 'emergency' play?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So he binned off Premier League BHA for perennial 2nd division bottomfeeders Birmingham, and started up a joint online clothing business 'Trackzy.co.uk' with Leon Knight - which seems to have died a death already, being as you can't even access the website. Now he's at Wycombe.

Who's been giving Stockers career advice then, Rolf Harris ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

PG

Indeed, and as you point out he is at least playing regular football and at that level is probably the star player in the team. He is almost certainly sett up for life financially, and he can just concentrate on enjoying his football now.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think he struggles with his weight. It's also no coincidence that when he plays his best football he looks a lot slimmer than he does now.

theboybilly

It might have helped if Baldock had actually tried to block Grealish's shot in the first place - I always thought Stockdale was wrongly blamed for that goal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Very much this. I really don't understand why any Albion fans seem to revel in what they perceive as his falling from grace.

I'm as gutted as anyone about how that finished, but I also recognise we'd not have been in with a sniff of the Championship, had it not been for some of his heroics through the course of that season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very much this. I really don't understand why any Albion fans seem to revel in what they perceive as his falling from grace.

I'm as gutted as anyone about how that finished, but I also recognise we'd not have been in with a sniff of the Championship, had it not been for some of his heroics through the course of that season.

Not revelling in it at all myself. I find it just a little bit sad - for us and him. He’s clearly not fully committed (a top pro would not have the fitness issues he obviously has) and it feels a bit like a waste of a talent. He did some brilliant stuff for us and was a top clubman when he was here.

And he’s not SHORT.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

And how he visited relatives of those killed in that awful air crash, without any requests from the club!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
For me it's about sheer greed over ambition.

He must have been on at least £20k a week, for the past few years. That's £1m a year, before deductions. If we had several million in our bank account, how many of us would turn down PL football? He chose to play at the bottom of the Championship, to amass more money.

I don't believe we would have signed Ryan had Stockdale stayed, but even if we did, DS should have rolled up his sleeves and taken on the challenge.

In another 5 years' time, his career will be over, and he'll probably look back on his time and wish he'd given it a real go at the top level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me it's about sheer greed over ambition.

He must have been on at least £20k a week, for the past few years. That's £1m a year, before deductions. If we had several million in our bank account, how many of us would turn down PL football? He chose to play at the bottom of the Championship, to amass more money.

I don't believe we would have signed Ryan had Stockdale stayed, but even if we did, DS should have rolled up his sleeves and taken on the challenge.

In another 5 years' time, his career will be over, and he'll probably look back on his time and wish he'd given it a real go at the top level.

I wish I could turn down twice the wages and generational wealth on behalf of someone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here