Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's ok to laugh in the face of cancer when you're the one battling it, or sharing a joke with a close family member etc, but I don't think it really works on here when talking about someone else.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45451518

I’m sure no one wishes this horrible condition on anyone but once again Lawrenson shows that he hates the Albion by just talking about having skin cancer, the skill and dedication of the NHS team treating him, the soul searching about what to tell his children but not once in the article does he mention he used to play for us.

It’s very disrespectful of him, nay even hurtful.

piss poor judgement el pres .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not on this occasion. It was the first I'd heard he'd been ill, and I'm sure I'm not alone. The OP was being Mr Clever Cloggs finger on the pulse and very witty to boot. Alas......we all need to know Lawro is OK first before we can embrace the joke. I had to scrabble around various websites....

Consider, Rachael Bland - the lengths one goes to avoid having to make small talk with that arse Chris Evans. Funny? Not really.
Well. That’s your view. Certainly not mine nor plenty of others so don’t try and take the moral high ground here because there really isn’t any to take. You’ve misinterpreted that’s all. Which is fine. And with hindsight perhaps even understandable. But please don’t hyjack or hyperbole the OPs original intent when no offence was ever intended and moreover plenty of people haven’t misconstrued as you seem to have done.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Anyway. I became a grandad for the first time today. I'm just....oh man. I can't even

Part of me says huge congratulations. You will be a fantastic grandad.

But another part of me says, WTF?! Somehow we're all getting old on here - but when I'm in in 'NSC world' it always feels like we are all the same age we were 15 or 20 years ago. Where did the time go?

Anyway, forget that second part. All of me says a huge congratulations. Gramps.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In fairness, and you’ll have to take it from me as someone who’s impartial, but you lashed out unfairly / got the wrong end of the stick. There are millions of people suffering from cancer tonight and trust me, not one person is laughing at them.

Thanks for telling me I’ve lashed out unfairly. Unfortunately, having carefully considered it, I don’t agree.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Please don’t start moralising and taking offence when clearly none has been intended. Your anger is completely misplaced and more than a bit offensive if that evens things up? Plenty of people deal with serious issues like Cancer using comedy even if you don’t. It’s ok to laugh in the face of fear, as the BBC presenter so courageously showed this past week.
People who are dealing with cancer are entitled to take whatever steps they can, including joking about it. People who aren't affected do not have the same entitlement, and if they get flamed it is fully deserved.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In fairness, and you’ll have to take it from me as someone who’s impartial, but you lashed out unfairly / got the wrong end of the stick. There are millions of people suffering from cancer tonight and trust me, not one person is laughing at them.

So, which side of impartiality are you on? - someone who's been affected by cancer or someone who hasn't (yet). Be interesting to know where you consider the middle ground to be.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Please don’t start moralising and taking offence when clearly none has been intended. Your anger is completely misplaced and more than a bit offensive if that evens things up? Plenty of people deal with serious issues like Cancer using comedy even if you don’t. It’s ok to laugh in the face of fear, as the BBC presenter so courageously showed this past week.

Rubbish

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People who are dealing with cancer are entitled to take whatever steps they can, including joking about it. People who aren't affected do not have the same entitlement, and if they get flamed it is fully deserved.

Presumably you’re in the latter camp and equally aren’t “entitled” (strange choice of word) to tell people what they can and can’t say in case they offend (a non suffer like you)?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I had a similar kind of scare to Lawro about 10 years ago.

I had a small dark mark on the side of my face, under the skin, about the size of the O you are looking at there. I thought little of it, but my sister went booloo and said I needed to get it checked out. I went to the docs, he couldn't determine for sure, so he referred me on to Brighton General for an appointment with the dermotologist. He took a sample of it with what was kind of like a tiny cookie cutter, but it was that small that it actually removed the whole thing from my cheek. He said it would be sent away for analysis and I'd get the results in a couple of weeks (I had a plaster applied over it in the meantime). This happened to be the day before we flew out to Egypt on a family holiday.

Anyway, I was conscious of it over the whole two weeks we were away, and of course it played on my mind. We arrived home, and in amongst the pile of post, was a letter from Brighton General. I don't mind saying, opening that envelope, my buttcheeks were clenched tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm. But it turned out that all it was, was an ingrowing hair follicle. And in taking that sample, they had removed it from my cheek. To this day when I get tanned, I still have a small light patch where they dug it out. But it serves as a reminder to get this shit checked out. It might be nothing, as it was with me. But it might be something. So give yourself a chance of snorting it.

Anyway. I became a grandad for the first time today. I'm just....oh man. I can't even

Congrats...I'm enjoying being a grandad immensely

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks for telling me I’ve lashed out unfairly. Unfortunately, having carefully considered it, I don’t agree.
At the OP, you’ve hit out at them in haste when really you’re angry at cancer. That is perfectly understandable. Just trying to help you see that there’s no way on earth El Pres would have known your sister has cancer nor would seek to cause you any more distress than you’re clearly experiencing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Part of me says huge congratulations. You will be a fantastic grandad.

But another part of me says, WTF?! Somehow we're all getting old on here - but when I'm in in 'NSC world' it always feels like we are all the same age we were 15 or 20 years ago. Where did the time go?

Anyway, forget that second part. All of me says a huge congratulations. Gramps.

I don't normally say this stuff, but you are one of my favourite posters, who regularly makes me snort coffee down my nose at various inopportune moments. So your congrats are most gratefully received on this most finest of days for me chap. As for age - I am currently a highly immature 47, and my new grandson Alfie will learn nothing from me except the words to Sussex By The Sea (sung twice today as he lay oblivious in the crook of my arm), a love of Lego, an interest in all that is trivial, and a detailed biopsis of every damn Brighton player I have ever loved.

I can only open the door - whether Alfie chooses to walk through it can only be down to him. But I do think he's going to be with his gramps as a BHAFC mentalist. The brainwashing has already commenced.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At the OP, you’ve hit out at them in haste when really you’re angry at cancer. That is perfectly understandable. Just trying to help you see that there’s no way on earth El Pres would have known your sister has cancer nor would seek to cause you any more distress than you’re clearly experiencing.

No, he didn't know she had cancer. Or that I'd had it. Or that lots of other NSCers have undoubtedly been affected by it. It was just a crap thoughtless post. Just accept that and get on with it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Anyway, I need to stop derailing this thread.

This is the most appropriate and best thread derail I can recall, @alfiesgrandad *

* I have already submitted the online form to Bozza to get your username updated.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is the most appropriate and best thread derail I can recall, @alfiesgrandad *

* I have already submitted the online form to Bozza to get your username updated.

Oh heck. I don't have an Omsong, or a strong opinion on leftbacks. I'm not sure I'm cut out for this Grandad business.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45451518

I’m sure no one wishes this horrible condition on anyone but once again Lawrenson shows that he hates the Albion by just talking about having skin cancer, the skill and dedication of the NHS team treating him, the soul searching about what to tell his children but not once in the article does he mention he used to play for us.

It’s very disrespectful of him, nay even hurtful.

Like your moderating decisions this is misjudged and ill thought out. While I'm an advocate of gallows humour (both my parents died of cancer) it's probably best reserved for close friends and family, not a stranger and not on a public message board.
A severe lapse of judgment there. Poor show.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I have been wrong before, but to me this appears to be a joke about the NSC readership holding Lawrenson’s lack of Brighton name-dropping as a personal insult.

The joke being, we think Brighton should be the central attention point of everything he says, when he clearly has better things to talk about. The target here is NSC, nothing else.

Genuinely see no malice in the opening post.

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I have been wrong before, but to me this appears to be a joke about the NSC readership holding Lawrenson’s lack of Brighton name-dropping as a personal insult.

The joke being, we think Brighton should be the central attention point of everything he says, when he clearly has better things to talk about. The target here is NSC, nothing else.

Genuinely see no malice in the opening post.

That was the OP's intention, for sure, but unfortunately it won't seem that way to many and will be misinterpreted. Therefore I think it is a mistake.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No, he didn't know she had cancer. Or that I'd had it. Or that lots of other NSCers have undoubtedly been affected by it. It was just a crap thoughtless post. Just accept that and get on with it.[/QUOTE

:wrong:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here