Mark Lawrenson cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Absolutely bang on.

It is just not a subject on which jokes could or should be made, if you are not involved. My dad died of cancer and I wouldn’t have wanted to have been patronised in the way some on have thought appropriate.
My Dad died of cancer at 42 years old. I was 19. It was horrible and still is 26 years later. That doesn't mean I own cancer, nor does it mean the rules are mine to make up. ANYONE can say ANYTHING about ANYTHING (including cancer) to ANYONE they like. It's up to you how you receive, interpret, process, and feel about it. If offence is the intention you are justified in being offended. If no offence was intended then you're guilty of making and keeping important subjects taboo.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just took OP's post in the spirit I'm sure it was intended, as an off-the-wall way of breaking the news to NSC that Mark Lawrenson had had a cancer scare. It seems blindingly obvious, well to me at least, that there was no offence intended.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If there is evidence I have mocked cancer sufferers on this thread or their nearest and dearest I fully believe that a ban, suspension or sacking is appropriate.. Being a mod does not give additional privileges or rights.

The post has been reported as offensive to Mod Towers and will be dealt with in a similar way to all reported posts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
get well soon buddy......el pres....tsk tsk ....portlock tsk tsk ....lets see how you feel about it if/when you get it .
Do you know they haven't had / got it? I don't think El Pres worded the OP well, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how bad cancer is.

Let it go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've got a muso mate who recently found out that he had advanced stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
He went to the doctor to see about a prolonged backache and found this out after tests.
I asked how he was doing, he beamed back at me and said, 'I bloody hate Christmas anyway'.
Black humour often takes the edge of things and removes some of the uncomfortabilitly in certain situations.
Long may it continue.
Yes, but that was your mate who has cancer and your mate making a joke of it, to you, his mate. It's not the same when a stranger is posting it about someone they don't know on an internet forum.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Absolutely not.

We cannot hide from life or death, but being prepared may make things easier. We really should not try to protect ourselves, and our children, of being aware of reality.

The day before my mum died in the Martletts I said to here "I just met an Australian going into the next room and asked him if he'd come here to die and he said no I came here yesterdie" She laughed. If I'd have said that to other visitors at the hospice I'd have expected to have caused distress.

Time and place is everything.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My Dad died of cancer at 42 years old. I was 19. It was horrible and still is 26 years later. That doesn't mean I own cancer, nor does it mean the rules are mine to make up. ANYONE can say ANYTHING about ANYTHING (including cancer) to ANYONE they like. It's up to you how you receive, interpret, process, and feel about it. If offence is the intention you are justified in being offended. If no offence was intended then you're guilty of making and keeping important subjects taboo.

First of all, the OP meant no offence. It was a clear dig at those on NSC who dislike Lawro rather than at Lawro himself. I think though that you take it too far and as I recollect you and I have discussed this type of issue before. It is simply not true that you can say anything to anybody. In my working life I have direct experience of supporting people who lack filter and need considerable pastoral and social skills care/support. They do not choose to lack filter and are desparate to acquire skills that you and I take for granted. That does not mean there are taboo subjects. It means such topics are handled sensitively rather than being props in some right to freedom of speech campaign. Anyway I will duck now as I'm sure your sidekick will be along shortly to accuse me of sounding like a social worker. Although I did take that as being a bit of a compliment.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I don't normally say this stuff, but you are one of my favourite posters, who regularly makes me snort coffee down my nose at various inopportune moments. So your congrats are most gratefully received on this most finest of days for me chap. As for age - I am currently a highly immature 47, and my new grandson Alfie will learn nothing from me except the words to Sussex By The Sea (sung twice today as he lay oblivious in the crook of my arm), a love of Lego, an interest in all that is trivial, and a detailed biopsis of every damn Brighton player I have ever loved.

I can only open the door - whether Alfie chooses to walk through it can only be down to him. But I do think he's going to be with his gramps as a BHAFC mentalist. The brainwashing has already commenced.

I'd get someone ELSE to teach him how to CATCH a bus if I were YOU

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
get well soon buddy......el pres....tsk tsk ....portlock tsk tsk ....lets see how you feel about it if/when you get it .

What a lovely thing to write. Thanks!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The fact that the original joke's subject (that of NSCs readiness to unduly take offence or feel slighted) is being objected to in this way only adds to the humour for me.

And kind of proves the point.

Keep it up El Pres.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
If there is evidence I have mocked cancer sufferers on this thread or their nearest and dearest I fully believe that a ban, suspension or sacking is appropriate.. Being a mod does not give additional privileges or rights.

The post has been reported as offensive to Mod Towers and will be dealt with in a similar way to all reported posts.

Despite the attempts of yourself and a couple of others to excuse or defend what you have written, it was poorly judged and wrong. I am not easily offended, and often think people choose to be outraged unnecessarily, but in this case I really think the best thing would be to delete this thread, learn the lesson and move on.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45451518

I’m sure no one wishes this horrible condition on anyone but once again Lawrenson shows that he hates the Albion by just talking about having skin cancer, the skill and dedication of the NHS team treating him, the soul searching about what to tell his children but not once in the article does he mention he used to play for us.

It’s very disrespectful of him, nay even hurtful.

This amused me.
I can see why Dazzer reacted, but I think some have overreacted just to look disgusted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Despite the attempts of yourself and a couple of others to excuse or defend what you have written, it was poorly judged and wrong. I am not easily offended, and often think people choose to be outraged unnecessarily, but in this case I really think the best thing would be to delete this thread, learn the lesson and move on.

Disagree. OP provided a link to a BBC article on Mark Lawrenson's cancer scare, provided a potted summary of what was in the linked article, then added an innocuous Albion-related twist. I honestly don't see any reason whatsoever for the NSC lynch mob forming.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
About time el pres got a bashing on here the ****

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Disagree. OP provided a link to a BBC article on Mark Lawrenson's cancer scare, provided a potted summary of what was in the linked article, then added an innocuous Albion-related twist. I honestly don't see any reason whatsoever for the NSC lynch mob forming.

I took the post as some something we’d all be interested in and although the aside wasn’t that funny, it was very NSC to me. I think I preferred the Un-PC NSC:shrug:

Just shows how much NSC has changed over the years. The OP’s original post is unlikely to have caused even a ripple back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here