Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 80’s Music

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think I may have been misconstrued? I was sticking up for Phil Collins! Excellent songwriter, performer, singer and drummer in my opinion - but hey, we're all different and all that. If you don't like him, that's fine with me too.

I was alluding to Safety Dance as one of the most ridiculous songs of the 80's. Stupid lyrics, annoying melody. Even the video, a group of hippies poncing around a muddy country lane dressed as Dick Whittington with some dwarves dressed as Jesters skipping about if I remember correctly. Do what?! Sounds like a good night out on paper though, mind you....

Yes I know you were sticking up for Phil Collins. The comment's were to back up what you were saying. I was definitely not having a pop at you, just the people who slag him off because they think song's like "Sussudio" define his career. I like that song as well.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I appreciate it's because it's not my 'era' but...being born in 1986 I look at the 80's music as, honestly, RUBBISH.

Sure, there are some BANGERS in there, but come on. It was pretty awful wasn't it.

Quite the shit sandwich when you look at the 70s and 90s either side of it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
80s

[yt]XbOx8TyvUmI[/yt]

[yt]BL_nrQxU-wE[/yt]

[yt]FYH8DsU2WCk[/yt]

[yt]PJZnuT6ACV4[/yt]

[yt]5AywIL5_eYM[/yt]

[yt]Jig6HseykIw[/yt]

[yt]gziOzo1YMwU[/yt]

[yt]qFyRhgCvqaU[/yt]

[yt]eBmFuySb_Qw[/yt]

[yt]YS3SAUqeSw4[/yt]

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
I appreciate it's because it's not my 'era' but...being born in 1986 I look at the 80's music as, honestly, RUBBISH.

Sure, there are some BANGERS in there, but come on. It was pretty awful wasn't it.

The Jam (one the best bands of all time)
The Clash
The Smiths
Happy Mondays
New Order
Stone Roses...... You must like at least one of those bands...no?

Its all subjective anyway each to their own but the 80's were great for things like taping the top 40 on your cassette player but you wont remember that :amex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BJHGSwQ3U

This is The Jam on the last ever Tube proper!!!:albion2:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The Jam (one the best bands of all time)
The Clash
The Smiths
Happy Mondays
New Order
Stone Roses...... You must like at least one of those bands...no?

Its all subjective anyway each to their own but the 80's were great for things like taping the top 40 on your cassette player but you wont remember that :amex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BJHGSwQ3U

This is The Jam on the last ever Tube proper!!!:albion2:

I acknowledged there were some bangers.....but the era as a whole was poor in comparison, in my opinion.

I appreciate the Stone Roses did form in the 80's but I wouldn't really consider them an 80's band. Their popularity was 1990ish wasn't it?

And, even when you've listed the best ones from that era, I personally believe the best of the 70's and 90's trump those. Again, all subjective.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Every decade contained brilliant music and crap, even the 60's had its fair share of tripe. There was so much crap in the early 70's.

For the many millions of us now in our 40's and 50's, in the 80's there was great music of so many different genre for everyone. Electronic, dance, new wave, post punk, pop, hiphop, rock etc etc. Probably far more divergent than now. Gigs at small to medium venues were countless. Without internet social media, people made up their own minds on music. There was not so much the mass herd instinct there is now for 2/3 of a generation to adore certain acts.

I've worked with kids in their teens and twenties now, who love 80's dance, and/or the likes of The Jam, Simple Minds, New Order, The Cure, and comment how lucky we were to have been there at the time.

Music will always give rise to wildly different opinions.

Jan 30, 2008
I acknowledged there were some bangers.....but the era as a whole was poor in comparison, in my opinion.

I appreciate the Stone Roses did form in the 80's but I wouldn't really consider them an 80's band. Their popularity was 1990ish wasn't it?

And, even when you've listed the best ones from that era, I personally believe the best of the 70's and 90's trump those. Again, all subjective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NF6Qa84mno

regards
DR

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You were born in the same year as my son. He's a musician. We have a lot of shared likes (Mars Volta, Gang of Four - guitar oriented stuff in the main - The Clash) but he has no interest at all in anything I like with a dance beat, which means 80s poptastic right through to 90s trance and noughties darkwave, EBM etc, or 80s goth and its modern manifestatons. Meanwhile I have tried and failed to like some of his shite, like Arctic Monkeys and (sadly) increasing amounts of encroaching middle age 'singer songwriter' style (I can't give any names as I run screaming from the room at the sound of the first perfectly strummed acoustic guitar and measured croon). Maybe its an age thing.

The 80s, though, contain bucket loads of strange and interesting music. I have posted tons. Have a go at the Legendary Pink Dots, for example. This from 1984 is quite magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHdf2AgGurI

Take a walk away from the bright lights and you can find some groundbreaking stuff. This for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGDJmSrrS8

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land

The roses first album came out in 1989 (when I was 18) but yeah they were massive early 90's for a while.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can’t remember listening to that before. It’s quality and years ahead of its time.

Absolutly! We saw them last year in London. Bill Leeb was originally in Skinny Puppy (when I saw them in Vancouver in 84). I'll post something of theirs now from the 80s that will drop your jaw. . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here