Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UEFA Nations League?

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Isn't too complicated to get the general gist.

There are 4 Divisions based on fifa ranking. England are in the top division.The top league has 12 teams: and these are split up into 4 equal groups of 3. England have Spain and Croatia in their group. You play each team home and away in the slots that would have been taken up by International Friendlies. The bottom team in each group get relegated for the next Nations League. In lower divisions the winner of each group gets promoted. In the top league, instead of getting promoted, the group winners go into a semi-finals and final in order to determine the Nations League winner.

The only remotely complicated bit is Euros qualification. There are 20 places determined by the normal qualifying and 4 determined by the Nations League. The top team in each division that gets a qualifying space. If they have already qualified it goes to the next best team that has not already qualified. In Division 1, this may well mean all teams will qualify as you would expect at least 10/11 of the teams to qualify through the normal route.

Oct 25, 2003
From what I can tell:

-Europe is split into 4 leagues based on raking

-each league is then split into (I think) 34groups (based on ranking)

-promotion and relegation between groups (and leagues?)

-some sort of way of defining the winner

-the highest placed team from each league not to have qualified for the European championships go into a 4 team play off as a route into the tournament? I think- I don’t really get that bit

It’s replaced friendlies with something with a competitive element which I think is positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
tumblr_ogleh3CpjT1vkhpmwo1_500.gif

tenor (13).gif

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It basically means Scotland might qualify for a tournament for once :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes. This is my basic understanding of it.

The league has been put in place to make sure teams are playing meaningful games against teams of similar abilities.

Now all this bit is me trying to rmemeber

There are roughly 4 'LEAGUES' of 16 teams.

League A 16 best
Leagube B - The next 16 best
League C
League D - The worst 16

Within each League there are 4 groups of 4.

Those 4 play each other home and away in their mini group. The team that top of each of the League A (so 4 teams) groups go into knockout football to become the overall champions.

The team that finishes bottom of the 4 A groups are relegated to one of the 4 B groups.

The rest of the league works in this way with promotions and relegation up and down. Obviously the goal is to get yourself up to League A.

So The D leagues will be full of the nonsense countires but competitive which is great.

Now, qualification competitions for Euro 2020 are a complete separate thing and will happen as normal.

HOWEVER, the best placed 20 teams (from the nations league) who didn't naturally qualify for the Euros through Euro qualification, will go into some sort of tournament to earn a place at Euro 2020.

Yes, its complicated but I think it's great for getting rid of meaningless friendlies.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I will say, having watched Germany v France last night it’s a tremendous idea (although complicated format) to have these replace friendlies. This was played as a competitive match with two evenly matched teams. Can only be good for international football. Only 3 subs allowed too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'll have a go -

55 Teams split into 4 Leagues based on co-efficient rankings.

Top 12 teams in League A, 12 teams in League B, 15 League C, 16 in League D (lowest ranked teams).

Each League is then split into 4 groups. Group games will be played in the Sept, October and November international breaks.

The 4 group winners from League A go to the semi finals of the Nations Cup to be played in June, with the final and 3/4 play off to be played a few days later.

The teams that finish bottom of each League A group are relegated to League B.

Group winners for Leagues B, C and D are promoted and the bottom side in each group for League B is relegated.

Due to the uneven number of teams in League C, the side finishing 4th in Groups 2,3 and 4 in League C are relegated (Group 1 only has 3 teams).

The sides finishing 3rd in each group in League C are then ranked (based on results against sides finishing 1st and 2nd in their group) and the side with the worse record will be relegated.

Overall records in each league will be used to determine seedings for Euro 2020 qualifying.

There is also a Euro 2020 play off round for the best teams from each League/Group who don't qualify for the Euros via the normal qualification process.

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I will say, having watched Germany v France last night it’s a tremendous idea (although complicated format) to have these replace friendlies. This was played as a competitive match with two evenly matched teams. Can only be good for international football. Only 3 subs allowed too.

I also watched it and had Germany not had an Ozil shaped hole in the middle of the park I reckon the game would've been even better!

It's pretty simple in effect. The confusing part is the Euros Qualification but this video explains it pretty well.

"The top four teams in each league (not group) who have not already qualified for that summer's European Championship will be offered another bite at the cherry. They will be entered into a play-off round with one spot guaranteed for each league.

So in effect, Switzerland/Croatia (league A), Sweden/Wales (League B), Scotland/Romania (League C), a minnow (League D), will qualify if they fail to do so through the qualifiers. It gives the chance for one/two nations who never qualify to participate but should make the international game much stronger over the next few years.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Isn't too complicated to get the general gist.

There are 4 Divisions based on fifa ranking. England are in the top division.The top league has 12 teams: and these are split up into 4 equal groups of 3. England have Spain and Croatia in their group. You play each team home and away in the slots that would have been taken up by International Friendlies. The bottom team in each group get relegated for the next Nations League. In lower divisions the winner of each group gets promoted. In the top league, instead of getting promoted, the group winners go into a semi-finals and final in order to determine the Nations League winner.

The only remotely complicated bit is Euros qualification. There are 20 places determined by the normal qualifying and 4 determined by the Nations League. The top team in each division that gets a qualifying space. If they have already qualified it goes to the next best team that has not already qualified. In Division 1, this may well mean all teams will qualify as you would expect at least 10/11 of the teams to qualify through the normal route.

You used the words League, Group, and Division.............still not clear....try again.

Edit - read other posts - ok - i get it..........messy - but better than friendlies. Groups of 3??? lol.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It replaces showing friendlies on ITV with showing competitive matches on Sky, which is, after all, the be all and end of all of international sport.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here