Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India Fifth Test - The Oval

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Final Test of the Summer, weather forecast looks OK.

Certain England Batsmen are lucky to be playing, Burns must wonder what he has to do to be considered.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Final Test of the Summer, weather forecast looks OK.

Certain England Batsmen are lucky to be playing, Burns must wonder what he has to do to be considered.
Oh no... it's not today is it? I thought with Sussex finishing a day early I might get some work done...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Had the offer of a pair of sponsors' tickets for today - but only on Wednesday evening, by which time it was utterly impossible for me to wangle the day off work. Always the ****ing same :angry:

Would have loved to be there today, too - Cook's last bow, etc.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh no... it's not today is it? I thought with Sussex finishing a day early I might get some work done...

It has been difficult to remember start days due the wonderful ECB moving them around but yes another less than productive day beckons!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Big challenge being a batsman at this time of year with the Duke ball being used and decent bowlers. I expect a low scoring game again and over in 3/4 days. I just hope Cook can eek out a 50 somehow.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Big challenge being a batsman at this time of year with the Duke ball being used and decent bowlers. I expect a low scoring game again and over in 3/4 days. I just hope Cook can eek out a 50 somehow.

If you're going to get a chance it's on a day like this. Sunshine from the off, no humidity in what is a cool NW airflow. The first hour will be a challenge as always.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just mentioned on TMS, that there has not been a single half-century by any opening batsman in this series, so far. Last 8 chances, in this game - it has NEVER happened for the entirety of a five match series.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
At least with Cook retiring English cricket has solved one big problem it has had since Andrew Strauss retired - we no longer have to try and find an opening partner for Cook!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
His retirement might well have saved Jennings for a while, can't really start a winter tour with two brand new openers.

60-0 currently, green tinge on the wicket obviously not causing any problems.

EDIT: FFS Jennings!

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cook has just taken his career test average back to 45.

90 more runs in the match will guarantee he finishes his career with 45+ average which - for an England opener - is incredible, especially over 160 tests. Only Boycott has done better since the war.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
His retirement might well have saved Jennings for a while, can't really start a winter tour with two brand new openers.

60-0 currently, green tinge on the wicket obviously not causing any problems.

EDIT: FFS Jennings!

Just clicked on BBC live scores to see 60-1 So on current form Cook will be out soon as he cannot bear to be apart from his opening partner :(

Seriously , wishing him to score at least 100 in this innings.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Cook has just taken his career test average back to 45.

90 more runs in the match will guarantee he finishes his career with 45+ average which - for an England opener - is incredible, especially over 160 tests. Only Boycott has done better since the war.

Agreed. I had a look at those five who have scored more Test runs than him, and none are openers. The fact that Cook has shined as an opener really does need to be front and centre when considering his contribution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here