• No

Votes: 72 67.9%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I love the sulky-faced Northerner as much as anyone, but it's a "no" from me Jeff. The World Cup was his (outside) chance, surely.

"Yet Adam Lallana also retained his place despite the injury-prone midfielder not having started a game for Liverpool in six months.

And while Lallana’s Reds team-mate Joe Gomez benefitted from Gary Cahill’s retirement, Vardy’s absence has not opened the door for Murray.

A look at the striker’s stats suggests he has done more than enough to earn his chance, though.

Since New Year’s Day, Murray has scored ten times for Brighton, only four fewer than Harry Kane. His xG per 90 is a more-than-respectable 0.35, not quite matching Kane (0.59), Danny Welbeck (0.43) or Vardy (0.44), but superior to Marcus Rashford (0.2) who has been given the graveyard shift on the left more often than not at Manchester United."

More >>> http://bit.ly/2NjGXkW

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I love the sulky-faced Northerner as much as anyone, but it's a "no" from me Jeff. The World Cup was his (outside) chance, surely.

"Yet Adam Lallana also retained his place despite the injury-prone midfielder not having started a game for Liverpool in six months.

And while Lallana’s Reds team-mate Joe Gomez benefitted from Gary Cahill’s retirement, Vardy’s absence has not opened the door for Murray.

A look at the striker’s stats suggests he has done more than enough to earn his chance, though.

Since New Year’s Day, Murray has scored ten times for Brighton, only four fewer than Harry Kane. His xG per 90 is a more-than-respectable 0.35, not quite matching Kane (0.59), Danny Welbeck (0.43) or Vardy (0.44), but superior to Marcus Rashford (0.2) who has been given the graveyard shift on the left more often than not at Manchester United."

More >>> http://bit.ly/2NjGXkW

Had Big Sam not been stung I think there would have been a much better case for Murray's inclusion but Southgate is clearly all about creating a younger, quicker side so it's a no from me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's a 'no' from me. As mentioned above, the World Cup was his chance. Too late now.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Is there anyone available that has his qualities? Do we have a forward who can hold the ball up and offer something a bit different?

He should be in the squad in my opinion, but it seems like Southgate wants youth.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Had Big Sam not been stung I think there would have been a much better case for Murray's inclusion but Southgate is clearly all about creating a younger, quicker side so it's a no from me.
Indeed. If BFS had been in charge for the World Cup then Murray would have been on the plane with a window seat and a pint of wine.

We'd have been shite (not because of Glenn) but he would have been picked for sure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He should have gone to the world cup, for sure. Wellbeck was, as predicted, a complete waste of a ticket, and Murray offered a far more suitable back up to Kane, as well as being in far better form.

Now the, the moment is gone. England selections now should be all about building for the 2020 Euros and the 2022 world cup.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Defoe was 34 the last time he played for England (2017) , why not indeed .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do still think he could 'do a job', but from a purely selfish point of view, I'd be having kittens if he was called up. Our options without him are already sparse to say the least, so I'd MUCH rather he spend his International breaks picking peanuts out of poo, or whatever it is he does in his own downtime, than poncing around at St Georges Park all week before a couple of meaningless games.

The last thing we'd need is him coming back knackered and/or crocked.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Forget Glenn, too old. Can anyone tell me why 26 year old Callum Wilson is constantly overlooked?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Love to see it but it's time for youngsters!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He'd be the 5th oldest England debutant ever. As others have said though if he was picked and played i'd be watching through my fingers praying he didn't pick up a knock.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no, as would not suit what Southgate is trying to do with pacey counter attacks.

fact thats not working in the final third is another matter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here