Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Nike's new advert

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's a business, the bottom line matters, even teams who never win still make a lot of money.

If his actions during work hours cost the owners money then you're not worth the trouble.

Nike is also a business. So either Nike are wrong, or the owners are – if it is about making money that is.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Nike is also a business. So either Nike are wrong, or the owners are – if it is about making money that is.

The owners pay their workers from hundreds of thousands to millions.

Nike pay their sweatshop workers a pittance.

Not sure I'd be taking anything Nike does seriously. They never put out any ads when black kids were killing people for their Air Jordans.

Always been happy to exploit the black dollar has Nike.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Sure, and so they will continue to make money from the NFL and football in general.

But I suspect that the people who spend the most money as NFL supporters are older men, predominantly white. These are not the people who buy the most sportswear or who Nike (as they themselves say) are particularly interested in marketing to.

Interesting video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16qZRlhGKM

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I were an NFL owner I'd employ Colin in a heartbeat.

Sure it would only be so I could marvel at him getting all that hair into his helmet, but it's still a job.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It's a weird one for me.

Kapernick's stance is an honest and brave one, sticking his head above the parapet to make an important point in an incredibly divisive way, was always going to be a high stakes gamble. I like him and agree with the point he was making - it's not disrespectful to the US military in the slightest, they fight to give him freedom of speech under the US' first amendment. He's exercising that right and the disproportionately violent police response to African Americans across the US is a genuine and fair concern. However, the American right have gone rabid over it, and hijacked the conversation to make it about respect for the flag rather than the key issue than unarmed, innocent people are being murdered on a daily basis for crimes like standing or sitting or driving or existing.

For Nike to put him front and centre is also a brave marketing move. They know their key market (in the US at least) is black youth - so it won't backfire on them commerically, even if there's a social media backlash - which there obviously has been. The people burning their own shoes are cretins, it's no skin off Nike's figurative nose as they've already banked the $100 or whatever the idiot paid. However, it's a bit rich for Nike to claim they stand for morals and align themselves with a genuine figurehead like CK - after all the scandals they've had with stuff being made in sweatshops and various questionable accounting practices .

So in summary, I don't think anyone comes out of it "well". CK is thrust back into the public eye and derided again. Idiots and racists on twitter go feral and utterly miss the point. Nike get some PR but are guilty of staggering hypocrisy.

All in all, it's just yet another example of how polarised, intolerant and tribal the world is becoming. The fringes on the left and right are becoming 'normalised' and more 'mainstream', and it's orphaning the middle ground where rational and respectful discussion/debate resides. If you disagree on social media, people block/hide those views, or react angrily. It's creating little bubbles of pent-up fury that people live in, utterly unwilling to consider or even listen to views that differ slightly from one another. It's a dangerous and sad development and I'm not sure how we all drag ourselves out of it and start being civil again. But it's probably not by burning Air Jordans.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The owners pay their workers from hundreds of thousands to millions.

Nike pay their sweatshop workers a pittance.

Not sure I'd be taking anything Nike does seriously. They never put out any ads when black kids were killing people for their Air Jordans.

Always been happy to exploit the black dollar has Nike.

I see. I thought this was where you were coming from.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Kaepernick was well within his rights to protest.

Those who protested against him are well within their rights to protest. They were wrong but within their rights.

Nike have smelled a great marketing and thus money making opportunity.

The people protesting Nike are well within their rights to protest. They should probably be protesting Nike's cynical exploitation than the fact they are 'supporting' Kaepernick.

The majority of people who are protesting against Kaepernick are either dumb or simple.

Here's a great song for everyone to enjoy. It's old but mildly topical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here