Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Military experts

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Can anyone on hear recognise military uniforms, or recommend where I can find out what regiment a uniform
/ badge etc belong to?
I’m trying to trace my grandfathers war records, but cannot trace him anywhere not even by name, so all I’ve got to go on is the photo below, any advice?

8CD2DAC3-B7D2-4F8D-A011-FE8BD7404A6C.jpeg

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
You're a little bit knackered there buddy, as the uniform is very standard, so unless you have a decent resolution close up of the cap badge that the far right fella, or the top two have in their caps it's going to be difficult to tell.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Looks more like RAF than Army with the Forage caps and greatcoats. If you have his name and d.o.b you should be able to locate him online using Ancestry.co.uk, they have access to all sorts of info that should help you.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Was he killed?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Looks more like RAF than Army with the Forage caps and greatcoats. If you have his name and d.o.b you should be able to locate him online using Ancestry.co.uk, they have access to all sorts of info that should help you.
Not RAF no eagles on shoulders. Also two different types of greatcoat. Some with buttons in a vertical line and some with 6 in a H pattern.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not RAF no eagles on shoulders. Also two different types of greatcoat. Some with buttons in a vertical line and some with 6 in a H pattern.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

aka single-breast and double-breast

as already suggested - if you have his name and DoB internet records are now accessible [for a small fee]

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Home guard quite an age range

Thie photo was on a postcard to his mother and written on the back was “sailing to France sometime tomorrow “ this was dated 3rd Jan 1940, so wouldn’t be home guard would it. ???

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
aka single-breast and double-breast

as already suggested - if you have his name and DoB internet records are now accessible [for a small fee]

I’ve searched through Ancestry and doesn’t come up with his assumed name. He did have his name changed from an early aged when his mother remarried but tried both variations and still nothing

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My immediate thought was Royal Pioneer Corps, which became Logistics Regiment. I've had a quick look at images on Google & the forage caps look similar. It's worth a look, anyway.
The dates would fit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Luftwaffe? :lol:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
My immediate thought was Royal Pioneer Corps, which became Logistics Regiment. I've had a quick look at images on Google & the forage caps look similar. It's worth a look, anyway.
The dates would fit.

Ok great, will have a look down that route.
Thanks

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When I used to sing a lot, I had a few singing lessons and the lady who did it was a Canadian. When you walked into her house, the first thing that you saw was a large picture of a plane and a guy standing by it. I thought nothing of it, until one lesson, she had to take a call therefore I wandered over to the picture, and it was a Dornier bomber. There was also a couple of pictures of other aircraft.

Turns out her father was a senior pilot who had flown bombers that she said actually had bombed this area, and also he had transferred from the Luftwaffe in North Africa where he had shot down many allied aircraft...she showed me his war medals, which included his Iron Cross, which must have meant he was an important guy.

I wasn't sure if I was very comfortable with looking at the pictures. I know it was irrational and it was a long time ago, but it left a bad taste in the mouth as the pictures glorified his war record against us!

Has anyone been to the military museum in Rome by the Forum? Again, a very surreal experience with records of Italians fighting the British and rather uncomfortable accounts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I used to sing a lot, I had a few singing lessons and the lady who did it was a Canadian. When you walked into her house, the first thing that you saw was a large picture of a plane and a guy standing by it. I thought nothing of it, until one lesson, she had to take a call therefore I wandered over to the picture, and it was a Dornier bomber. There was also a couple of pictures of other aircraft.

Turns out her father was a senior pilot who had flown bombers that she said actually had bombed this area, and also he had transferred from the Luftwaffe in North Africa where he had shot down many allied aircraft...she showed me his war medals, which included his Iron Cross, which must have meant he was an important guy.

I wasn't sure if I was very comfortable with looking at the pictures. I know it was irrational and it was a long time ago, but it left a bad taste in the mouth as the pictures glorified his war record against us!

Has anyone been to the military museum in Rome by the Forum? Again, a very surreal experience with records of Italians fighting the British and rather uncomfortable accounts.

I went into a bar in Heidelberg in 1987, and there were old street signs on the wall, including 'Adolph Hitlerstrasse'. An old guy in his 70s (at least) started talking to us in German. I had to leave. A strange visceral experience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here