Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Fish n chips

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tried out Bardsley's for the first time under new ownership on Saturday. Smaller portions but similar quality (still the best imo).

Bankers is great as you said, but if you want to be a few hundred yards closer to the sea, got to be a sit down at the Regency!

Interesting. When did the new people take over. I wonder if anything will change over time?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Prefer Marinos on Maple Drive......I’m half way between there and Wivvy station.......

I used to go there but they changed friers and the quality went down hill but called in the other day to get a take away menu. which they do not supply now, and noticed the original man frying is back so will give them a try again. At the moment we use Mr Chippy in Haywards Heath. Just as a point of interest I called in to Codfather opposite St Johns park and saw it was the same people who had Tim Leys and apparently they are going to start doing Chinese Take Away again in late September.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why 10 miles of Lewes ? Is this where West Ham are staying and they are looking to book their pre match meal in month ?

How do you think West Ham will do in the next few games ?
I guess it could be possible the Brighton game is possibly where you maybe looking to pick up your first points of the season.

Don't be daft, West Hams pre match meal is either Pie ,Mash, and liquor, or Jellied eels, followed by two verses of 'Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner' and Knees up Mother Brown.

Me old china.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was just testing to see if anyone else remembered Bardsley's when they were also based in Upper North Street, which was for a very long time up until the 1970's. Our Mum used to take us there in school hol's.

Memories:
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__5321.aspx

I'm caught in your net. :lol:
Was it near the Church and pub, that I can't remember the name, opposite and west of the Windmill? Never knew it was a Bardsley's.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Tried out Bardsley's for the first time under new ownership on Saturday. Smaller portions but similar quality (still the best imo).
I was sad to hear Roy and Muriel had left, Bardsleys was the best Fish and chip even allowing for Roy's banter! Glad to hear it's in good hands will have to pop down there soon.

I used to go there but they changed friers and the quality went down hill but called in the other day to get a take away menu. which they do not supply now, and noticed the original man frying is back so will give them a try again. At the moment we use Mr Chippy in Haywards Heath. Just as a point of interest I called in to Codfather opposite St Johns park and saw it was the same people who had Tim Leys and apparently they are going to start doing Chinese Take Away again in late September.
This would please me greatly

Jul 7, 2003
Prefer Marinos on Maple Drive......I’m half way between there and Wivvy station.......

I tried to find a decent chippy in Burgess Hill. Fishers changed hands a couple of years ago and went downhill, the Town Centre one is okay, I thought Jupps was over priced and over rated and Marino's was pretty average. Best one in the area - head 5 minutes down the road to Hassocks. The chippy there is very good since it was taken over a while back.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The fish and chips experience is a strange one here.
Nothing is cooked in advance and when you place the order it is cooked while you wait, like ordering an Indian or Chinese meal.
They always use the processed chips made from mashed potatoes, like the Macca's ones but fatter, same taste though.
Have not seen one here where everything is ready to go, like back in the UK.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The fish and chips experience is a strange one here.
Nothing is cooked in advance and when you place the order it is cooked while you wait, like ordering an Indian or Chinese meal.
They always use the processed chips made from mashed potatoes, like the Macca's ones but fatter, same taste though.
Have not seen one here where everything is ready to go, like back in the UK.

Most chippies here cook fish to order now

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Tried out Bardsley's for the first time under new ownership on Saturday. Smaller portions but similar quality (still the best imo)

Why would restaurants try and serve smaller portions of chips, it's a fish and chip shop just add 20p on the price if you have to, even worse are those that use a measuring carton first before then wrapping the chips in paper, always seemed to be Chinese owners that have done that, never go back.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Bardsleys Roy wanted to retire and son not interested in taking over. Have been there since and just as good but without Roys social skills

Such a shame. An institution to me as a kid and was hoping to pass it down through the generations.

Will give it a go perhaps before the spurs game but sad to hear the son had no interest. Could have sworn he used to work there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Why would restaurants try and serve smaller portions of chips, it's a fish and chip shop just add 20p on the price if you have to, even worse are those that use a measuring carton first before then wrapping the chips in paper, always seemed to be Chinese owners that have done that, never go back.

Never in my life have I had an issue with a chippy run by anyone of any ethnicity (especially Chinese) being stingy with portion size, in fact, it's probably one of the last places you can get a great portion size for less than a fiver. Don't go around making nasty generalizations that have no basis in fact. My comment about Bardsley's smaller portion referred to the change in staff (who were all English by the way) perhaps not being as generous as Roy used to be.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Never in my life have I had an issue with a chippy run by anyone of any ethnicity (especially Chinese) being stingy with portion size, in fact, it's probably one of the last places you can get a great portion size for less than a fiver. Don't go around making nasty generalizations that have no basis in fact. My comment about Bardsley's smaller portion referred to the change in staff (who were all English by the way) perhaps not being as generous as Roy used to be.

Lighten up mate, you were the one that mentioned portion size and just confirmed that you felt perhaps Roy was more generous as the new owners, you obviously felt it was worth sharing, as for the 'nasty generalisation' I happened to be talking from genuine experience, in the rare times a fish and chip shop used a measuring carton they were different shops and each one was Chinese, hardly an assault on their ethnicity, quite frankly I cannot believe I am having this absurd conversation with you

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here