Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leeds, Elland Road and sniffer dogs

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[tweet]1037038069155868673[/tweet]

It seems there was just one dog, hundreds of Boro fans queueing to get in, and tickets being torn up.

Kitchen porter Wayne, 32, who has Type 1 diabetes, said when he first went past the sniffer dog, nothing happened.

But after having a pre-match pint, he went past the same dog and this time was pulled to one side to be searched.

All the search found was his phone, match ticket, a chocolate bar - and his insulin pen.

“They left me stood in a corner with about 14 other Boro fans. They were asking people for their tickets but I held on to mine.

“I saw a little boy and his dad get stopped - the kid must have been no older than seven but they checked him from head to toe.”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/boro-fans-call-foul-after-15111410

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I would have thought getting dogs to sniff Middlesborough fans is something the RSPCA should be taking a long hard look at.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
OK, I'll do it.
Flask search.
Night night.
EDIT
I've just read this bit-
Leeds’ safety officer Sue Watson explained that “pyro dogs” - dogs to sniff out pyrotechnics - are used by Leeds at home and away turnstiles but at the previous home game against Preston, someone detonated a smoke bomb in the away end. Staff at the Boro match were therefore briefed to stop and search anyone activating a pyro dog. If they produced the pyro, they’d be allowed in - if they didn’t, they wouldn’t.
So, if you've got a 'pyro' and give it up you can enter the ground. BUT if you Haven't got a 'pyro' so you cant give it up you're banned!

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just shows how stupid Leeds are, clearly in the wrong and as compensation offer 2 tickets to a game at Elland Road.

If that had happened on one of our visits who would take Leeds up on such a generous offer?

Given that the dog was worse than useless in his duties has he been sacked, moved to other duties or undergoing further training

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Just shows how stupid Leeds are, clearly in the wrong and as compensation offer 2 tickets to a game at Elland Road.

If that had happened on one of our visits who would take Leeds up on such a generous offer?

Given that the dog was worse than useless in his duties has he been sacked, moved to other duties or undergoing further training

There's a video in the article showing the dog. There are hundreds of fans queuing so it's sense of smell must have been very confused. You'd need a lot more than one dog for a task like that.
Even the senior stewards at Leeds said it was wrong.

Then to offer a home ticket to a Boro fan as compensation, is adding insult to injury.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

I've heard he is going on the punditry circuit until a position opens up at another club, chuffing sniffer dog merry go round.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Sniffer dogs at Anfield were having a right old bark up at one of the agency stewards much to the handler’s annoyance. Maybe he’d pre-rolled a joint for his break.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've heard he is going on the punditry circuit until a position opens up at another club, chuffing sniffer dog merry go round.

Patrick Rover-iera

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Kennel Dalglish

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Alsatian-ly McCoist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Paw Merson

Paying the bills