Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England Call Up Marcus Bettinelli

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45413352

A goalkeeper who has had to compete for his place at Fulham and has played twice in the Premier League is now in the England squad.

Serious shortage of home grown talent here.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Even more puzzling when you consider that Southgate had called up 3 keepers already. If one of them had dropped out you could understand it... but at present there's more goalkeepers then strikers.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I don't think so. Pope, Butland, Hart (lol) and plenty of other GKs are more than good enough for a friendly call up. Pickford is 100% our number 1 choice and I'm not too fussed. What annoys me is seeing him get called up over young talent like Foden etc. Or even to show blue and white bias call up Solly, Dale, even Glenn. All deserve it more than he does.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
6ft 4 = ...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Where's the harm? They think he might develop and become part of the squad, why not get him involved in the training camp now and see what he's all about? They did it with Pickford when he was still with Sunderland, had him join the group without any real pressure because he wasn't going to get gametime. He's just training with England rather than Fulham. One of the things I like about Southgate's management is getting fresh faces involved to mix things up a bit and I think that if Bettinelli continues playing every game for Fulham then he might find himself knocking on the door of deserving a spot on the bench so why not get him involved now while there's no pressure? Can't hurt him to train with the squad and if he is needed in future then he won't be having to make a new relationship with the other keepers, defenders and coaches, he can just build on the experience he's already got.

Smart move in my opinion, without there being a need for him to play.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I thought apart from the pen save he had a poor game last Sat with many of his kick outs either miss placed or put his own defender under pressure. But then again not that many to choose from when picking for England if you stick with prem clubs and in particular ones who are actually playing first team football.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I thought apart from the pen save he had a poor game last Sat with many of his kick outs either miss placed or put his own defender under pressure. But then again not that many to choose from when picking for England if you stick with prem clubs and in particular ones who are actually playing first team football.

English goalkeepers who have made at least one appearance for their club this season either in the Premiership or in European qualification:

Pickford
McCarthy
Foster
Hart
Hamer
Bettinelli
Heaton.

Factor in Butland (okay he's currently in the Championship) and Pope who's currently injured and there's enough solid back up options. Our main problem is a lack of forward options. Our current back up options for Kane are Rashford (who Mourinho never plays through the centre) and Danny Welbeck.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Is he a young gk? Whenever I've seen him play I've thought he was bang average. I guess if he's young then there's room to improve, if he's not so young then...:shrug:

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Where's the harm? They think he might develop and become part of the squad, why not get him involved in the training camp now and see what he's all about? They did it with Pickford when he was still with Sunderland, had him join the group without any real pressure because he wasn't going to get gametime. He's just training with England rather than Fulham. One of the things I like about Southgate's management is getting fresh faces involved to mix things up a bit and I think that if Bettinelli continues playing every game for Fulham then he might find himself knocking on the door of deserving a spot on the bench so why not get him involved now while there's no pressure? Can't hurt him to train with the squad and if he is needed in future then he won't be having to make a new relationship with the other keepers, defenders and coaches, he can just build on the experience he's already got.

Smart move in my opinion, without there being a need for him to play.

Indeed. Not uncommon either. Three of Englands young prospects, Foden, Sessegnon and Mount (i think) were flown out to Russia to see what it's like being at a major tournament so it won't all be completely new to them if and when they participate in one themselves.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Our current back up options for Kane are Rashford (who Mourinho never plays through the centre) and Danny Welbeck.

100% this. If Kane gets a long term injury we would be ****ed. Really hoping for some more decent youngsters to come through in this position. I like Rashford but jury is still out for me, many got way too excited based on one good goal against a fairly poor Costa Rica side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here