Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Palace tell players to pay up to keep playing

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...to-each-raise-250-to-keep-club-going-football

Players from Crystal Palace Ladies have been told they face not being able to represent the club any longer if they cannot each raise £250 in sponsorship, or put up the money themselves.

The onus has been put on the women’s senior squad to source the money to pay for annual subscription fees. It has caused anger among some senior figures in the women’s game who feel it sends out an unhelpful message about the importance of female players to the club.

“Some of the players, particularly the younger ones, are really stressed about having to find the money,” one source close to the club said, “The timing of the demand to find sponsorship was unhelpful too, the same week that Wilfried Zaha was given a new £130,000 a week contract."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At least Zaha justifies his wage by carrying the club. I'd like to know what Benteke's thoughts are on this matter.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We could slate them - or we could show some real class - and raise the money. Imagine Palace Ladies sponsored by NSC?

Nice idea but can you imagine the MELTDOWN from some people on here for giving money to 'that lot up the road'?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If this was our Women's Team I'd like to think NSC would sort it. The Palace message board should be all over this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If this was our Women's Team I'd like to think NSC would sort it. The Palace message board should be all over this.

It's a rather good job we have a board of directors (not just through the club centrally, but via AITC as well) prepared to invest not just in the men's and women's teams, but in many aspects of football, including powerchair teams, deaf teams, cerebral palsy teams, walking teams, Down's Syndrome teams and more besides.

And better still - scream it from the front of the stadium in an image 40 feet high. :cool:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It beggars belief that a premier league football club with annual income of over 100m is making it's women's team pay to play.

Are the club really in such financial trouble that they need every penny they can get to keep Zaha? Or are they just a bunch of classless muppets?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I wonder how the money they receive from the players will appear in the accounts. Suppose we'll find out in 2022

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here