Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens? Really??

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Yeah he’s Shyte , from memory I can recall at least 6 turned down offers from other Premire League clubs who were in the market for somebody that can’t play football , he still holds the world record for the shortest ever height reached to complete a overhead kick and score a goal , yes he doesn’t do this every week so I suppose you could say he’s inconsistent ! If you’ve noticed our system we tend to play through Mr Useless around 90 % of the time going forward and sometimes it actually works , I will have a little bet that he scores more fantasy league points than superstar Deli Ali

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't figure out if this is a w@anky analogy or a good one, but if you think of the team as a human body, then Stephens is the heart. You might not see what he does, but without him we'd be fooked. He's the link between people in all the different areas – defensive, fellow midfielders and attackers – but that doesn't mean he can (or should be expected to) do everything perfectly – he has his limits, just like the other players. To continue the analogy, not the most aesthetically pleasing – compared with the flair wingers such as AK – but arguably the most important 'organ' in the 'body' of BHAFC.

I didn't fully appreciate Bridcutt and what he brought to the team, but I LOVE Stephens who seems to do everything that Bridders did, but better.

Bridders was slightly different - almost a 'sweeper'. Played deeper. I like the analogy. I would instead however class him as the Islets of Langerhans, regulating blood sugar and the ebb and flow of energy.

Meanwhile Murray is...........the cock........(of the North, obviously).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Put simply, the nuts and bolts of the team. Without him the whole thing falls apart.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Stephens is a wonderful central midfielder - he sets the standard for the team and covers a lot more ground than people realise. Maybe the folks who aren't really in a position to see the game don't understand what he does because he isn't scoring a goal a game (or a season!) but it doesn't mean he's not a class act. There is a reason he is such a lynchpin in our team and that status isn't changing any time soon. When it comes to team selection, Stephens is an automatic selection.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is a question for those of you with a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game. We are told regularly that Dale Stephens is an absolutely pivotal member of the team, first name out of the hat, a real players' player, etc, etc.

What we non-cognoscenti will actually see is a player who:–

Constantly slows the game down, resulting in loss of impetus and attacking opportunity
Is ponderous on the ball, looking simply indecisive
Instinctively passes backwards or sideways, rarely forward
Frequently misplaces even the simplest short passes, to howls of anguish from the crowd
Wastes shooting opportunities through poor technique – eg spectacular Row ZZ example against Fulham

And yet… And yet… People in the know really rate the guy.

Anyone care to explain why?

I'd be interested to know:

A) How you think Hughton wants us to play;

B) What role you think Stephens plays within that formation and style of play:

C) If B differs wildly from A why on earth do you think Hughton would play a player in every game he is available for(for the past three and a half years...) when he's not doing what Hughton wants him to do?!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
This is a question for those of you with a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game.

You don't need a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game to answer your question, just reasonable eyesight and a general grasp of football.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Didn't realise that one had to be cognoscente to appreciate someone who could pass the ball very very well.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A brilliant midfielder and perfect for our system. He’s not the most showy so I can see why those who are ahem, “less confident in their understanding of football” might not immediately see what he brings.

Hughton wants to play a system that has two wide men, a striker and a deep lying striker, to do that in this league he needs plenty of protection for the defence and people who can get the ball to the attacking 4 with minimal fuss. Stephens and Propper give him that. The signing of Bissouma was an interesting one as it gives us an option of replacing Dale or Davy with a ball carrying box to box type. Interesting that he’s replaced either Pascal or Davy from the bench so far. To Hughton the idea of taking Stephens of is madness. Stephens is the first choice centre midfielder, and I’ll wager my left knacker that if Hughton does decide to give Bissouma a run in the team in centre mid, it won’t be for Stephens.

It’s a fair comment that Dale’s shooting isn’t that good.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Another observation from watching Stephens is that he does a great deal of organisation on the pitch. He is constantly directing other players positionally as well as dictating the play.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Another observation from watching Stephens is that he does a great deal of organisation on the pitch. He is constantly directing other players positionally as well as dictating the play.

One of which is constantly bawling at Knockaert. March may have got some grief from Murray on Saturday, but that was nothing compared to what Stephens gave AK (and does give him).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
When I lived in Leeds in the early 90s I went to a few games. One of the people I went with couldn't see the point of David Batty.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Certainly too tall to go in goal.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Bridders was slightly different - almost a 'sweeper'. Played deeper. I like the analogy. I would instead however class him as the Islets of Langerhans, regulating blood sugar and the ebb and flow of energy.

Meanwhile Murray is...........the cock........(of the North, obviously).

I went fishing there once, caught a 6lb gudgeon

:fishing:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think its fair to say if your peers constantly vote you in the top 2 each season as player of the season then you are doing more than enough right.

He's a class performer simple as that.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Quality passer of the ball. Can see a pass very quickly and has brilliant link up play abilities. Can be a bit predictable at times which makes him easy to read for opposition midfielders trying to intercept his passes. Poor when it comes to a turn of pace or direction. Has no composure when shooting and doesn't seem to offer any threat going forward. Good player. Fills the holes, but does seem delusionally overrated by some of our fans who seem to only notice his stats. 'We didn't lose whenever he was playing for us' is just a total load of bollocks. A lack of Stephens wasn why Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc absolutely mullered us last season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211/Archive/England-Brighton

HIghest 83.9% passing ratio, but his position is easier to achieve this than Pascal Groß. Does not lose possession very often, and the only time I remember was against de Bruyne of Man City when it cost us a goal. He makes some inexplicable passes to the opposition occasionally when hurried and sometimes for no reason whatsoever, But have you seen Palace play: they lose the ball all the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
David Burke's finest bit of recruitment: £500K for Stephens after we'd just sold Bridcutt for £3M.

Don't credit David Burke with the purchase of Stephens. Nathan Jones was the driving force for that one. He'd seen him whilst a youth coach at Charlton.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He took over as skipper when Dunk was injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here