Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens? Really??

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
This is a question for those of you with a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game. We are told regularly that Dale Stephens is an absolutely pivotal member of the team, first name out of the hat, a real players' player, etc, etc.

What we non-cognoscenti will actually see is a player who:–

Constantly slows the game down, resulting in loss of impetus and attacking opportunity
Is ponderous on the ball, looking simply indecisive
Instinctively passes backwards or sideways, rarely forward
Frequently misplaces even the simplest short passes, to howls of anguish from the crowd
Wastes shooting opportunities through poor technique – eg spectacular Row ZZ example against Fulham

And yet… And yet… People in the know really rate the guy.

Anyone care to explain why?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This is a question for those of you with a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game. We are told regularly that Dale Stephens is an absolutely pivotal member of the team, first name out of the hat, a real players' player, etc, etc.

Constantly slows the game down, resulting in loss of impetus and attacking opportunity
Frequently misplaces even the simplest short passes, to howls of anguish from the crowd
Wastes shooting opportunities through poor technique – eg spectacular Row ZZ example against Fulham

What you have done is confuse the phrase "we non-cognoscenti" with the word I.

HTH

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Balloons far, far too many shots over the bar.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That through ball to Gross for our penalty against United was ‘sideways’ ?

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Look at our record in the Premier League when he doesn't play. That should tell you all you need to know.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
1 he controls the tempo of the game
2 he bridges play between defending and attacking
3 he plays more forward balls than gets credit for he might also give the ball away with those passes but not as often as you clearly think
4 his game management is fantastic
5 has a fabulous understanding with the 2 cbs and the more attacking players
6plays selflessly to the benefit of the team

I suspect there’s plenty more to his game but you get the point I hope

theboybilly

What a load of tosh! Do you really expect him to consistently lump one forward to Murray or Gross? That's the surest way of inviting pressure straight away. Dale is working to our system which will mean (in his case) fetching and carrying, breaking up opponents play and being available for a pass out of defence. To my mind he does a pretty good job of it and has done since he arrived from Charlton. A bargain.

Do you sit somewhere behind me in WSL?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I suggest you pop along to the next fans Forum and ask this question to CH. I am sure that in his best diplomatic language he talk you through what Dale offers the team.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015

I can explain, you have never played football if that is your understanding of Stephens. If we had 11 Stephens it would be bad, but the game is all about a mixture of skills and players. First name on my team list and The managers as well. Look how we struggle without him. If you are fishing then you confirm
What a boring pastime that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Is that what some people do when there's no football on, just pick through the team one by one and find ways to criticize them? We've had threads started or revived on Solly, Locadia and now Dale in the space of 4 days. Goodness me this is woefully pathetic.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Please let this be nothing more than a :fishing: attempt:facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here