Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens? Really??

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
This is a question for those of you with a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game. We are told regularly that Dale Stephens is an absolutely pivotal member of the team, first name out of the hat, a real players' player, etc, etc.

What we non-cognoscenti will actually see is a player who:–

Constantly slows the game down, resulting in loss of impetus and attacking opportunity
Is ponderous on the ball, looking simply indecisive
Instinctively passes backwards or sideways, rarely forward
Frequently misplaces even the simplest short passes, to howls of anguish from the crowd
Wastes shooting opportunities through poor technique – eg spectacular Row ZZ example against Fulham

And yet… And yet… People in the know really rate the guy.
]Anyone care to explain why?

:lolol:

Sorry.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What a load of tosh! Do you really expect him to consistently lump one forward to Murray or Gross? That's the surest way of inviting pressure straight away. Dale is working to our system which will mean (in his case) fetching and carrying, breaking up opponents play and being available for a pass out of defence. To my mind he does a pretty good job of it and has done since he arrived from Charlton. A bargain.

Do you sit somewhere behind me in WSL?

Great post. In a nutshell Stephens performs the Makelele/Kante role. If he never scores or rarely gets an assist, it’s completely irrelevant.

His height and power is also useful in defending set pieces, and prevents us being bullied against teams (Cardiff and Burnley) that try that.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd go along with this point. In order for Dale to improve, he needs to hit longer forward passes, so that he has a fuller repertoire, and we have more variety in our play, and can exploit the pace that our forward players possess (Izquierdo, Andone, Knockaert, Jahanbakhsh, March and, I think, Locadia). It was noticeable against Southampton when Gross was playing the deep midfield role just how many long forward passes he hit, many of which were accurate, and despite the near unanimity of the comments on this board claiming the role didn't suit him.

At age 29 DS is not going to develop long range passing assists and to start scoring at PL level.

Out and out defensive midfielders rarely do that, instead they quietly do the unglamorous bits and pieces for the team ... that’s Dale Stephens.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
played 4
won 0
drawn 0
lost 4
for 0
against 8
win percent 0%
goals per game average 0
points per game average 0

The first time I compared our record without Stephens to Palace's without Zaha, my tongue was firmly in cheek. Starting to wonder...

It's 5 actually, unless you want to count those 19 mins vs Spurs.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's 5 actually, unless you want to count those 19 mins vs Spurs.

You mean, unless I want to include a game he played a part in a list of games he didn't play in?

Officially he played 21 minutes (well, both the Seasgulls site, and Soccerbase have the substitution taking place in the 21st minute), 23% nigh on a quarter of the game. No, I'm not including the spurs game in the list of games without dale stephens.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You mean, unless I want to include a game he played a part in a list of games he didn't play in?

Officially he played 21 minutes (well, both the Seasgulls site, and Soccerbase have the substitution taking place in the 21st minute), 23% nigh on a quarter of the game. No, I'm not including the spurs game in the list of games without dale stephens.

I guess we can also add wins then where he played a couple of mins at the end when returning from injury. Good to know.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wonder what sort of job satisfaction Stephens and Propper get from their work - almost constantly under pressure, having to play safe, dull passes most of the time, getting plenty of criticism and very little glory. I hope the wages make up for it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is a question for those of you with a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game. We are told regularly that Dale Stephens is an absolutely pivotal member of the team, first name out of the hat, a real players' player, etc, etc.

Constantly slows the game down, resulting in loss of impetus and attacking opportunity
Frequently misplaces even the simplest short passes, to howls of anguish from the crowd
Wastes shooting opportunities through poor technique – eg spectacular Row ZZ example against Fulham

Anyone care to explain why?

Well I can't explain it, much like you I'm anything but an expert on our beautiful game, but what l do know is this . . .

Much like Dean Hammond when he was with us, Dale Stephens isn't a player who is exactly easy on the eye, however, when he isn't out there, my God we seem to miss him.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

"This is a question for those of you with a deep knowledge of the technicalities of the game."

You are being ironic, right?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I wonder what sort of job satisfaction Stephens and Propper get from their work - almost constantly under pressure, having to play safe, dull passes most of the time, getting plenty of criticism and very little glory. I hope the wages make up for it.

Beats having to work for a living though.....

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018

"We are regularly told" ??
Do you even watch football or just listen to what other people tell you about the game. This post is beyond nonsensical.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A thousand apologies, I was referring to the Man City game. Will start looking through my other posts now, to see if I've ever made a comment that was later not applicable to a future match.

Kayal was immense last night.
I know you did mate I was on a wind up he was quality last night.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here