Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] HP Contact

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wanted to install my Cannon printer but it said that 2800 MB was required and I only had 2636 MB available so thought a larger hard drive was the answer.I saw one advertised on ebay 320 GB refurbished for £20 with Windows 10 installed plus Office 2009.with a 6 month guarantee.which seems a bargain.

Maybe there is stuff on your HD that could be deleted...that large dossier on Left backs could be kept on a flash drive

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have with it is situ and not removing it and it means nothing to me, Vienna.

1st step buy a new one with more GBs
2nd Step Look at You Tube to see how to remove it and install new one.
3rd Step copy from old one to new via data stick. or perhaps that should be the first.

I like your lightening of the topic, with a musical link.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I wanted to ask HP a question but they appear to not operate an email contact address or telephone contact number for either customer services or support. The website does not recognise the serial number or product number of my lap top. All I wanted to know is what hard drive is installed in this laptop as I wish to buy another larger one and reading on the net there are different connections etc. So wanted to ensure I ordered the correct one

Anybody have any contact details for them please.

HarryPotter@Hogwart.magic

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maybe there is stuff on your HD that could be deleted...that large dossier on Left backs could be kept on a flash drive

There is very little on the hard drive with it showing

C Drive: 1GB free of 55.9 GB
D Drive: 0 bytes free of 18.4 GB.

All that has installed of Canon Prtinter is the on line manual

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Erm what I was suggesting and I believe another poster ..is that maybe you could free up some space by deleting ..for example unused software?..Videos ...etc

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
4D0DA5FC-D303-4C90-A829-4937A703CDF0.png

Don’t be tempted.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I made a bit of an error of buying my daughter a pc world HP pavilion special. The spec seemed fine lots of memeory intel i5 processor, but it was as slow as inebriated snail. I removed any unneeded preinstalled software, but the task manager was showing the hard drive just being hammered. I was trying to get it to install the latest windows update, and I just had enough. I replaced the hard drive with a solid state drive. Unlike the dell’s that I worked with were you undo a couple of screws pull the old drive out the side and pop a new one in., I had to take apart the entire laptop, utter pain in the bum. I thought the if I broke I would just bin it and get her something better. I had already copied an image of her existing HD and when i put it back together it booted up like a rocket. It is now super fast and very quiet. Worth doing but not for faint hearted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
shows it as an easy task but make sure to buy the correct hard drive, which is why I am asking and attempting to do it ..........maybe.

The only things on the drive are

Windows 7 Ultimate
Apache Open Office
Google Chrome
AVG Protection.

I could take Apache Open Office off of it but would then have no word processig facility short of putting it on my external hard drive and using that

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
shows it as an easy task but make sure to buy the correct hard drive, which is why I am asking and attempting to do it ..........maybe.

Windows 7 Ultimate
Apache Open Office
Google Chrome
AVG Protection.

I could take Apache Open Office off of it but would then have no word processig facility short of putting it on my external hard drive and using that

So no photos...videos etc :moo:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Windows 7 Ultimate
Apache Open Office
Google Chrome
AVG Protection.

Try downloading “tree size free” it great for finding where all the space is being used.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
BG trying to install a new hard drive.

On a laptop.

:lolol:

This thread could run and run.

Seriously, just take it to a shop and get someone who knows what they are doing to sort it out. NSC confusing advice whilst you do not really have a clue what anyone is talking about is not the way forward.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You tube says take the plate off( 2 screws) lift out the hard drive and insert new one screw plate back on ... Why should I pay somebody £50 to do that? The views expressed on here make it so that I want to do it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You tube says take the plate off( 2 screws) lift out the hard drive and insert new one screw plate back on ... Why should I pay somebody £50 to do that? The views expressed on here make it so that I want to do it.

Because a hard drive is not just a hard drive. Because you do not actually know what you are doing. Because you are asking peoples advice on transferring data from one hard drive to the other. Because you will end up spending way more of your time than £50 is worth. Because you will get some of guarantee on the work that the computer shop does. Because a whole new laptop will dwarf that £50. Because you ask the most basic computer questions on here on a weekly basis yet still seem confused. Because because because.

I do not want to be a **** about this, but seriously for your own good, and your daughters just pay someone who knows what they are doing. It really will be better in the long run.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Sounds like you have purchased a better model then I did for my daughter. Crucial http://uk.crucial.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhrzHvp2i3QIVKrvtCh3uDAS4EAAYASAAEgJ2nfD_BwE&cm_mmc=google-_-uk-_-brand-_-null&ef_id=W47wrwAABH4cy9Xm:20180904205303:s

Will be able to tell which drive is compatible with your machine, they can also provide the imaging software and instructions on how to copy you os and data. I am sure others suppliers can also do the same. They are the ones I’ve used.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

once you upgrade you'll have to install everything from scratch unless you have the software, hardware and know how to clone the old harddrive to the new. you might help yourself here by getting a SSD in a kit off ebay which will allow you to do the cloning. assuming your laptop has the SSD interface of course, or you have an adapter.

or have a professional work all this out for you for a small fee.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

That is an incredibly small hard drive to start with, Windows 7 will have taken at around half of all the available space to install, thats before you consider other applications, windows update files, temporary internet cache etc.

As I said before with the upcoming end of life for windows 7 i'd question how much benefit you'd get from faffing about with installing another hard drive, installing a new OS etc.

I'd also offer a word of caution regarding the hard drive pre-installed with Windows 10. Is the laptop is actually capable of running windows 10. As it appears to be a fairly old laptop I wouldn't have thought the manufacturer would have created Win10 drivers for the old hardware it is using, meaning vital components are unlikely to function properly. You may have plenty of storage space with this new hard drive but you are unlikely to be able to use the laptop properly.

Firstly I'd recommend running windows native disk cleanup, that will clear old windows update files, temporary files etc and should give you enough space to install the printer. I'd also recommend, as others have, CCleaner too as it's a useful tool for removing any unwanted programs.

Longer term I'd recommend buying a new laptop as soon as you can afford one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here