Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Your best Band discovery in 2018

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was working in a blokes kitchen and he was playing a mixture of his favourite music, one tune caught my attention and i asked who it was, its Mad Dog McCrea he said.
So when i got home i looked them up only to find they are a legendary Plymouth band, not really my type of music a sort of Celtic/Cornish folk mix.
I saw they were playing a pub called Kitty O Hanlans (outside the magistrates court) so off we popped to take a look, it was a really warm night, everyone was drunk and having a great fun time.
It was a great night, lots of covers and their own stuff.
I then saw that someone had posted that night on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax-LOOqWYN4

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

I like hardcore bands like Agnostic Front , Sick of it All etc.........Terror have been going a while, but only saw them in January . Totally blew me away. Got tickets for the Underworld in December. Defiantly my favourite new band.

Have you heard Modern Life Is War? I dabble with the hardcore scene. Usually a bit more of the heavier side than be punk side but that Fever Hunt album is quality.

On another note my fav album I heard this year (maybe even last year but it’s still on the figurative duke box) is Diiv - Is The Is Are. Lovely stuff.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Hasn't been a big year of new bands/artists for me. Notable discoveries:

Cigarettes After Sex - might've been late 2017...if you like slowdive you'll like this.

Just watched the first episode of "Wanderlust" on BBC1. One of the soundtracks was "Nothing's gonna Hurt You Baby" . I didn't know who it was by but was intrigued enough to google the lyrics to find out who was singing it. So I discovered them myself just tonight. The other tracks on the soundtrack are quite interesting too. One was by "Joan as Police Woman" who I also had not heard of before.
Here's the soundtrack samples of the first episode:
https://www.tunefind.com/show/wanderlust/season-1/67638

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
They're good, and I'm looking forward to seeing them at C2 next month. They were on at End of the Road over the weekend, as were Shame, who I don't like as much, but I suspect will be really big. Really young, a singer with quite a presence, and an energetic bass player.

I couldn't get tickets for the C2 but managed to get in to the Resident Records gig at Komedia last night. It was the second time I have seen them live and they were brilliant on both occasions.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Never heard them myself but wife says they were the best thing since white sliced bread. Maybe they'll play The Neptune one evening, if they can put their differences to bed (along with their kids) and the wives let them have a night out.

That ship has sailed. You had to be there.

As was the case last year, I've end up discovering a lot of new bands in 2018.

From the Metallic Hardcore side of things, there's been a few releases of a similar ilk to "Forever" by Code Orange from 2017. Vein's 'errorzone' is by far and away the best of that bunch, with the records from Twitching Tongues & Jesus Piece also being very good.

Some of my favourite albums this year have been from the 80s inspired synthwave artists. Carpenter Brut and Gost's are both fairly known and are great, but my personal favourite record has been "Invaders" by Hollywood Burns - a 60s B-movie inspired album that mixes synthwave with orchestral pieces. Listened to it for the first time whilst heading up to Liverpool away and had a smile on my face the whole throughout the album.

Some others worth mentioning are Dead Now (stoner rock with a 70s vibe, debut EP is out tomorrow), Mantar (Sludge Metal) and Black Fast (Blackened Thrash), along with some of the bands I saw at Bloodstock including Alien Weaponry, Limb & True Believer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ist Ist. From Manchester, not at all been listening to Joy Division and Interpol since they were in the womb. Magnificent.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
So far this year, Our Girl tops my list - seeing them at The Garage, Hackney on 25th Oct.

Also, Sink Ya Teeth released their debut album this year. Awesome electronic female duo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just getting into King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard too. Insanely prolific band, released 5 albums in 2017.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Have you heard Modern Life Is War? I dabble with the hardcore scene. Usually a bit more of the heavier side than be punk side but that Fever Hunt album is quality.

On another note my fav album I heard this year (maybe even last year but it’s still on the figurative duke box) is Diiv - Is The Is Are. Lovely stuff.

I was lucky enough to get into hardcore in the eighties , so saw great bands like Warzone, Youth of Today, Leeway , The Crumbsuckers ,Gorilla Biscuits, Cause For Alarm, DRI, Gang Green.
Got to see Murphys Law, Agnostic Front, Cro Mags , Rollins Band, Madball all in Brighton , and used to make regular journeys to The Shelley Arms in Nutley back in the day. Then I kind of stuck with the big three of hardcore-Agnostic Front, Cro Mags and Sick of it All with regular trips to London.Did not really explore any new music. But I have been attending the Persistance tour over the last few years and I being exposed to some great bands that I had previously not seen live, such as the Mighty Terror !!!!. They completely blew away my perception of the Big Three and literally now are top of the pile of my list of Hardcore bands. Don't get me wrong , still love all the old skool and will see Sick of it All in January.
I will check out your recommendations. Had quick look at Modern Life Is war. Defiantly a more contemporary sound, but still hardcore.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
IDLES, obviously. Listened to ‘Brutalism’ last year and didn’t like it on first listen and dismissed them. Then saw them at this years Great Escape and ‘got it’.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Cheers, looking forward to it, great voice and definitely one for the future, hopefully you will be able to make one of her shows soon :)

Also a fan of Corrine Bailie Rae, which we've seen 3 times at the SBE.
Last time, she was being accompanied by a very shabby looming Gary ooh Gary Davies.

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
Also a fan of Corrine Bailie Rae, which we've seen 3 times at the SBE.
Last time, she was being accompanied by a very shabby looming Gary ooh Gary Davies.

Ok, I’ve not heard of her I’ll take a look. Going back to Freya Ridings, my step son, who is in a band, said that they performed at the same venue in London as her a couple of years ago, he said that there was something special about her then. A tough ladder to climb in a very competitive industry, good luck to her, and my step sons band to of course.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here