Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Leicestershire CCC, LVCC Div2, Hove, 4-7 September 2018,10.30 KO's***

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Evans averages a very modest 30 in first class cricket and has had a fair crack at it. Worth a shot? I’d rather have Wright tbh.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
how much longer will Sussex stay in bat for, I would suggest .throw the bat and declare or be all out doesnt really matter at about 12 noon tomorrow.

With a lead of 340 probably have enough runs already, but expect a declaration when they get past a lead of 400

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Evans averages a very modest 30 in first class cricket and has had a fair crack at it. Worth a shot? I’d rather have Wright tbh.

Both Wright and Wells look shot. In Wright’s case, I wonder if it’s the end in the longer form.
Evans is a different person/player this season.
His confidence is back and I’d fancy him to take his chance .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Both Wright and Wells look shot. In Wright’s case, I wonder if it’s the end in the longer form.
Evans is a different person/player this season.
His confidence is back and I’d fancy him to take his chance .

Evans has scored just five FC centuries in his career ( a double ton on an Edgbaston road, a ton for uni against a second string attack and three in one season where he had a decent run in the side). In the last couple of years, I don't think he's got much beyond 20 in the red ball game. He's had one FC match for Sussex this season and scored 12 against some college students. I can see nothing in his record that suggests he's the man to score runs in autumnal conditions.

As Wright looks like he's had enough, it has to be a choice between Burgess and Rawlins. I'd opt for the latter as he's going to be a class player in the future so let him see what he's like when the going's tough.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Evans has scored just five FC centuries in his career ( a double ton on an Edgbaston road, a ton for uni against a second string attack and three in one season where he had a decent run in the side). In the last couple of years, I don't think he's got much beyond 20 in the red ball game. He's had one FC match for Sussex this season and scored 12 against some college students. I can see nothing in his record that suggests he's the man to score runs in autumnal conditions.

As Wright looks like he's had enough, it has to be a choice between Burgess and Rawlins. I'd opt for the latter as he's going to be a class player in the future so let him see what he's like when the going's tough.

Agree. I can understand the contention that 'one popped up' but I think the view is that too many 'ones popped up' for him and the sadness is that he is the 'senior guy' the lynchpin who could have given so much more this season. All we have had is an element of inconsistency with his batting and a back that spasms every so often. Sad really.

My vote goes to Rawlins.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Whatever the case , surely Wright has to be dropped .
I'd be happy with Burgess at 5
If it came to Haines v wells , I'd favour Haines
ANY Sign of van zyl ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whatever the case , surely Wright has to be dropped .
I'd be happy with Burgess at 5
If it came to Haines v wells , I'd favour Haines
ANY Sign of van zyl ?

I imagine Van Zyl has gone back home, can't see him playing now.

There's a possibility that we could play Rawlins AND Burgess in the next game. Do we need Briggs in mid-September? He's not going to take many wickets in autumn and we could then play another batter (Wells, Haines and Rawlins could fill in if we need a few extra overs).

That would also mean we could rest Wiese, who hasn't looked himself lately, and bring in Garton to offer something a bit different. That would be a much bolder move and I'm not sure Sussex would risk it ... but I can see the extra batsman coming in.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Apropos of nothing, at a time when the England test side is crying out for batsmen I see wickets are tumbling cheaply around the country and those that have posted scores are discards like Ballance, Trott, Duckett, Malan.

We can't even seem to throw up a flat track bully a la Hick or Ramprakash.

I was thinking that. Also all the low scores can't all be down to bad wickets can they? As a nation we seem to have forgotten how to bat.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Evans has played superbly in the T20s this season. And generally as the anchor to victories, playing proper shots. The evidence supports the theory that Dizzy has given him the self-belief and mental toughness to step up. His ability has rarely been in doubt.

Much like Hughton, though, I'm happy to go with whoever Dizzy picks. He has transformed this team, they are playing with an Aussie-style belligerence not seen since the Griz, Mushy, Prior, Muzza title-winning side.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I was thinking that. Also all the low scores can't all be down to bad wickets can they? As a nation we seem to have forgotten how to bat.
Pitches and time of year are big influences on county championship run-scoring and batsmanship.

The reduced number of top overseas bowlers would, ceteris paribus, have meant domestic batsmen enjoying inflated averages. However, the move to playing championship cricket in Spring and Autumn, combined with a trend for used or underprepared pitches, has more than counterbalanced the reduced quality of bowling.

Somerset v Lancashire was apparently played on a shocking pitch this week. A few years ago that game might have been played on a road at Taunton in high summer. Chalk and cheese.

Sussex have produced a number of excellent young batsmen in recent years. Most of them bat very much in the traditional style of playing to conditions and match requirements. The exception in the current crop is Phil Salt who has stepped into Chris Nash's shoes as a "dasher" at the top of the order - which I don't mind at all. I just wish they had decent batting conditions more often so we could enjoy watching them bat for longer...!!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
The exception in the current crop is Phil Salt who has stepped into Chris Nash's shoes as a "dasher" at the top of the order - which I don't mind at all. I just wish they had decent batting conditions more often so we could enjoy watching them bat for longer...!!

I take my hat off to your Mr Salt. I will humbly state that I did not see him developing as he has done this year. Also messrs Finch, Haines and Rawlins.

Moshe..you stood up for the youth and I was wrong. Hoping the bowlers can also step up next season.

Now what is the weather doing down there?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I take my hat off to your Mr Salt. I will humbly state that I did not see him developing as he has done this year. Also messrs Finch, Haines and Rawlins.

Moshe..you stood up for the youth and I was wrong. Hoping the bowlers can also step up next season.

Now what is the weather doing down there?

Glorious sunshine.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Evans has played superbly in the T20s this season. And generally as the anchor to victories, playing proper shots. The evidence supports the theory that Dizzy has given him the self-belief and mental toughness to step up.

Yet he hasn't played once in the CC (or even been in the squad). And that's with us missing our Kolpak batsman pretty much all season and Wright's recurrent injury problems. That suggests to me that Dizzy doesn't think that he's up for FC cricket.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
An interesting one regarding Evans. He is going so well in one day cricket do we really wish to disturb that ? We have a Finals day to look forward to. Do we really want to damage his confidence by playing him in bowling friendly conditions in the Championship ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
An interesting one regarding Evans. He is going so well in one day cricket do we really wish to disturb that ? We have a Finals day to look forward to. Do we really want to damage his confidence by playing him in bowling friendly conditions in the Championship ?

Is his confidence THAT fragile? Is he Sussex's Solly March?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here