Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Leicestershire CCC, LVCC Div2, Hove, 4-7 September 2018,10.30 KO's***

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Minor counties play a key role in providing additional catchment area for neighbouring First Class counties.

Shropshire to Worcester is a well known one. Devon & Cornwall to Somerset is another. Dorset to Hampshire. Suffolk to Essex. etc etc

Sussex is unique among the First Class counties in not having either a minor county or a major city as a neighbour.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Don't we have Guernsey CC under our wing

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very well done on that achievement.

Private school kids (aka "jazzers") enjoy an extreme advantage when it comes to cricket in Sussex. Access to facilities (outdoor and, crucially, indoor), technical coaching and time within the school day to practice/play matches from young ages are all huge factors in their development.

This has always been true and it is very difficult to do much about it. All you can do is plug away and work hard at providing the best opportunity you can for state school kids at your club. Creating passion for cricket in as many as possible, while getting some players through to representative level, is a great challenge.

I am very balanced when it comes to dealing with prep school types (I have a massive chip on both shoulders...!). The one thing that really sticks in the craw are the clubs who boast about having a "successful junior section" when all they really do is import private school cricketers to win matches under their name.

The facilities that private schools have make me green with envy. I did my coaching course at Bede's and it was an eye-opener to see the facilities they had (and the staff too).

On the other hand, I also coach girls rugby and state school cricketers have it easy compared to state school girl rugby players: only one state school in B&H offers rugby for girls!

But it's a worrying trend how many sports are beginning to be dominated by the privately educated: it's long been the case in rowing and tennis but it's increasingly true in cricket and rugby (and I suspect, hockey). The UK does pretty well in international sport but I do feel we could do a whole better.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
And have a tie-up with Oxfordshire too
Yes. These recent moves are very sensible to try and reduce our historic disadvantage. Harrison Ward from Oxfordshire is a promising current prospect.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Slightly off topic but anyone interested in going to finals day this Saturday. A friend has a pair of tickets and a twin hotel room (Saturday night) available.

Message me if you are interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here