Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When did modern life ‘defeat’ you?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m declaring - mid forties for me!

Music - I haven’t got a clue about most acts in today’s top 40 and have decided to go backwards instead I.e. life’s short and there’s loads, simply loads of stuff from 80s, 70s and 60s that’s great/ I hadn’t discovered. And there’s this instrumental stuff called Classical that I’m increasingly enjoying. Chopin anyone?

Books - paper for me, I get advantages of Kindle etc but frankly, I’m happy to both wait and pay extra to potter round my local bookshop. It’s one of life’s pleasures and I feel lucky to still have one.

Television - I’m still watching it....which by its nature makes me a Luddite given online and streaming is where it’s at.

Cinema - I love going still but frankly, they’ve run out of ideas haven’t they? Unless you like Superhero’s.

Social media - I don’t use. But the pressure to is unrelenting I.e. Unless you’re recording your life, you don’t exist. It’s all so self promoting too, what we once called showing off. Which, we were taught, no one liked.

Sport - I watch football live, as in, go to. On a Monday morning, this makes me a massive minority and, strangely, less knowledgable than the armchairs who toss statistics around like confetti in answer to everything. Including the game I went to!

Communication - I’m still calling friends and family and actually speaking to. Again, this is highly unusual behaviour apparently. No one uses their smart phones to actually talk with. Quaint is how one person recently described my continued use of a landline.

Games - It’s been a while since I learnt I was too slow to press so many buttons in coordination. I don’t just long for the days of Manic Miner, I quite like the idea of playing Board games again! Chess, Draughts or Ker Plunk anyone?

Technology - yes it’s great in so many ways, but increasingly I just can’t fathom much of it.

That old hippy slogan “stop the world, I wanna get off” feels more relevant than ever, modern life is going so fast seemingly that you’re eventually forced to, well, quit! Now, where can I get some nice slippers and do they still make Ovaltine? :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm mid forties and I can understand some of your rant. But I haven't used a landline for more than ten years.

My mum is 71 and we generally communicate via WhatsApp or call each other on our phones. The ones you have on you all the time rather than the old plastic thing that's plugged into the wall.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm mid forties and I can understand some of your rant. But I haven't used a landline for more than ten years.

My mum is 71 and we generally communicate via WhatsApp or call each other on our phones. The ones you have on you all the time rather than the old plastic thing that's plugged into the wall.

I simply don’t believe. No one over 70 switches their mobile on unless their car breaks down. Which is when they find out the battery is dead or they’ve run out of credit...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I dont know any telephone numbers apart from

1) emergency services
2) local mincabs
3) 01 811 8055

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
For me, the precise moment was a mile down the road from Heathrow Airport in May. I hadn't been back over for a couple of years and did so for my 40th birthday celebrations. I picked up the hire car at terminal 5, drove out with the radio on, flicked through all the major radio stations and it was all utter utter shite. OK so it's not news that the radio is shite, however, I could usually find something to bear but noooo not on this occasion, it had reached new depths of shite so I just gave up on it. I finally reached that point in my life where I said to myself "this shite all sounds the same" and as I digested those words echoing around my head, I knew modern life had scored a victory over me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Social media is a good tool if you can see past the twats posting their life movements, I belong to a great group of sparks from up and down th country we share ideas, solutions have a laugh and a joke and also it’s generated new business. For me age is just simply a number don’t get old before your time life is far to short for that.

Social media is a good tool if you can see past the twats posting their life movements, I belong to a great group of sparks from up and down th country we share ideas, solutions have a laugh and a joke and also it’s generated new business. For me age is just simply a number don’t get old before your time life is far to short for that.

Well said sir. There is a lot of crap on social media, also a lot of interesting, informative and amusing stuff - your choice as to what you follow.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Music - I haven’t got a clue about most acts in today’s top 40 and have decided to go backwards instead I.e. life’s short and there’s loads, simply loads of stuff from 80s, 70s and 60s that’s great/ I hadn’t discovered. And there’s this instrumental stuff called Classical that I’m increasingly enjoying. Chopin anyone?

Books - paper for me, I get advantages of Kindle etc but frankly, I’m happy to both wait and pay extra to potter round my local bookshop. It’s one of life’s pleasures and I feel lucky to still have one.

Television - I’m still watching it....which by its nature makes me a Luddite given online and streaming is where it’s at.

Cinema - I love going still but frankly, they’ve run out of ideas haven’t they? Unless you like Superhero’s.

Social media - I don’t use. But the pressure to is unrelenting I.e. Unless you’re recording your life, you don’t exist. It’s all so self promoting too, what we once called showing off. Which, we were taught, no one liked.

Sport - I watch football live, as in, go to. On a Monday morning, this makes me a massive minority and, strangely, less knowledgable than the armchairs who toss statistics around like confetti in answer to everything. Including the game I went to!

Communication - I’m still calling friends and family and actually speaking to. Again, this is highly unusual behaviour apparently. No one uses their smart phones to actually talk with. Quaint is how one person recently described my continued use of a landline.

Games - It’s been a while since I learnt I was too slow to press so many buttons in coordination. I don’t just long for the days of Manic Miner, I quite like the idea of playing Board games again! Chess, Draughts or Ker Plunk anyone?

Technology - yes it’s great in so many ways, but increasingly I just can’t fathom much of it.

That old hippy slogan “stop the world, I wanna get off” feels more relevant than ever, modern life is going so fast seemingly that you’re eventually forced to, well, quit! Now, where can I get some nice slippers and do they still make Ovaltine? :)

I'm sort of halfway along your journey.

Music - I probably stopped knowing what was in the Top 40 in the mid 90s but then I have always tended to prefer albums to singles. I also know that I'm not in the modern world for music as I still prefer physical content over digital.

Books. I have gone over to a Kindle other than for travel guides and books which have a heavy picture content.

Cinema I still enjoy going and there is still the odd new idea. Although I did read earlier today that there are moves for a new Police Academy film. Why I've no idea as the series ran out of jokes halfway into Police Academy 2.

Games - Other than Football Manager I don't really get involved these days but do enjoy returning to favourite board games from years gone by. Although it seems that many have had make overs to make them quicker and in my view less fun. So I raid the attic for the original versions from the 60s and 70s.

Radio - I know I am not in the midern world for this. Although I like DAB it is tuned to stations focusing on music from the 70s or a genre that I like as opposed to new music.

Social media and mobiles Yes I have taken to these although the starting point was to communicate with my son as like all younger people a land line is an alien concept.

The one thing not mentioned so far is fashion where for years I gave gone for comfort over style.

So for me half in and half out

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No.

Music - I travel a lot (commute and other) so having 3 iPODs (2 spares) is essential. Over 16,000 'tracks' (some being downloads that are 2-4h long). I don't stream because I do my selecting and then keepwhat I want. I prefer random play and don't want to faff about, just chill. I have selective tastes but am open to new music (I have 2018 music) and still go to gigs. I never listened to chart music after I hit eleven :shrug:

Books - yes I read them. No change there

Television - almost never watch. Never did. If something looks good I'll ctch a bit of it then buy the box set for later. I watch football on telly though. Albeit recently I have been watching MOTD on the laptop.

Cinema - I never much liked it. You can't pause it, and you have to shre space with nobbers. Went the to Harry Potter films with my son, but at an odd hour, in a small room in Ashford to avoid the wankers.

Social media - stopped using yourfacemyarsebook some years ago. I like NSC though.

Sport - No change, ST holder (BHA obvs). Watch any football on the telly. Too busy to actually do much, but still cycle, swim in the sea and (hopefully will go again) skiing

Communication - Rarely use a landline. Txt and email. I don't like being bothered but you have to check the txts and emails becuase that's how work and home arrangements are made.

Games - I became addicted to the original space invaders in 1980, and decided it was a waste of time, so stopped playing. My son became addicted to Final Fantasy and it affected his schoolwork. He is still a keen gamer. I understand the appeal but chose to not engage. Much the same as my views about drug use.

Technology - you don't have to understand how it works to make use of it.

I love the present. Life is cleaner, more varied, safer and more enjoyable than it ever was. I hope I last a bit longer to enjoy it. I'm 60.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

How very true. I don't get to as many as I would like to, but am fed up with all the super knowledgeable armchair experts. They spout info about players from teams I've never even heard of and how they would be a great buy for 40 million for 'their team' and on and on......

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

I can relate to some of your post but I would caveat it with saying that their is plenty of innovate new film and music around, you just have to look beyond the mainstream for it.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
No.

Music - I travel a lot (commute and other) so having 3 iPODs (2 spares) is essential. Over 16,000 'tracks' (some being downloads that are 2-4h long). I don't stream because I do my selecting and then keepwhat I want. I prefer random play and don't want to faff about, just chill. I have selective tastes but am open to new music (I have 2018 music) and still go to gigs. I never listened to chart music after I hit eleven :shrug:

Books - yes I read them. No change there

Television - almost never watch. Never did. If something looks good I'll ctch a bit of it then buy the box set for later. I watch football on telly though. Albeit recently I have been watching MOTD on the laptop.

Cinema - I never much liked it. You can't pause it, and you have to shre space with nobbers. Went the to Harry Potter films with my son, but at an odd hour, in a small room in Ashford to avoid the wankers.

Social media - stopped using yourfacemyarsebook some years ago. I like NSC though.

Sport - No change, ST holder (BHA obvs). Watch any football on the telly. Too busy to actually do much, but still cycle, swim in the sea and (hopefully will go again) skiing

Communication - Rarely use a landline. Txt and email. I don't like being bothered but you have to check the txts and emails becuase that's how work and home arrangements are made.

Games - I became addicted to the original space invaders in 1980, and decided it was a waste of time, so stopped playing. My son became addicted to Final Fantasy and it affected his schoolwork. He is still a keen gamer. I understand the appeal but chose to not engage. Much the same as my views about drug use.

Technology - you don't have to understand how it works to make use of it.

I love the present. Life is cleaner, more varied, safer and more enjoyable than it ever was. I hope I last a bit longer to enjoy it. I'm 60.

Nice to see someone else who dislikes going to cinemas as much as me. I love watching films but i'd much rather watch them in my own home. The combination of people whispering, walking across the screen and eating popcorn really winds me up far more than it should do

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Great thread.

I can’t say modern life has defeated me, more that I choose what I embrace as oppose to feeling I have to “have it all”.

Music , I have never been into “the charts”, certainly there is the odd thing I like but not so much these days. I find my music through various recommendation sites and online searching. There is loads of good music and film being made.

Games, never bothered with at all really. Bit of Streetfighter at The Point in Bracknell but never owned a console.

Tech, I use what I need. Which is pretty much a laptop and mobile. WhatsApp is my preferred method of getting in touch. Rarely use email now, all my work schedules etc come through on apps. No interest in Alexa type stuff. I’m savvy enough to know that there are far better ways to watch films and telly than YouTube, Amazon, Netflix etc
Gave up on Facebook years ago. Have never used Twitter, Instagram etc.

We have a digital radio which is on most of the day with a mix of R2, R4, R6 and whatever 80’s stuff Mrs TC likes. We have a nice telly box with Now TV , which I think we look at about once a month. No plans to deck the house out with every bit of emerging tech. Most of which is only a slight tweak on the previous bit of tech. As long as I can listen to the radio and watch the film and telly I like, I’m good.

Podcasts are my favourite entertainment at present. Distraction Pieces with Scroobius Pip, Richard Herring, Frank Skinner and some film and football ones.

I still read actual books, normally from charity shops and ,in a real throwback I use the library.

And , hold onto your socks...I subscribe to magazines! The Week and BBC History. And I bloody love them.

Oh and going to the cinema is and always will be the finest way to see a film.

I’m 41

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Most common use for a landline is to ring a mobile when you can't find it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here