Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Alastair Cook to retire from Test cricket

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Possibly the last great test batsmen cricket may ever see.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Shame, it looked at one time that he would just go on and on and on, breaking records all the way - but his consistency and ultimately his ability to play top quality swing-bowling looks like its deserted him. Its time and glad he is going on his terms.

The 2010-11 Ashes and 2012 India series were two wonderful overseas test-series victories built on Cook's runs, and will fondly remember them. One of England's all-time greats.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A legend of a player retiring at the right time. I feel a bit for him because he is a classic foil in an opening partnership, and unfortunately we haven't found anyone of quality since Strauss retired leaving Cook with numerous changes of partner and a huge weight of responsibility on his shoulders. On his day could take apart any attack in the world with pretty much 2 shots.

I just hope that with his aura and reputation retired from the team, 2 new openers can start afresh without being in anyone's shadow in the middle.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A privilege to have watched him play frankly. Having had more opening partners and No.3's alongside him over the last 6 years than The Sugababes have had band members hasn't helped him.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Was at the MCG Boxing Day 2010 to watch Cook & Strauss score an unbeaten 157 having just ripped the Convicts out for 98.

That and Sussex winning the C&G Final in 2006 are my best ever days at the Cricket.

As has been already stated, a throwback to an earlier era of Test Cricket, very unlikely to see his like again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A joy to watch at times and, yes, an old school throw back but he really is beginning to struggle. This feels timed to perfection - like some of the shots he used to play - but leaves England seriously short in the top order. I can see Sri Lanka undoing all the good work of the India series win.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A little young to retire from test cricket as still only 33 years old. Thought that he may have gone of for another couple of years.but at least it as he wishes rather than get the chop.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Completely understandable. He's given everything he could to test cricket. A true great.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A little young to retire from test cricket as still only 33 years old. Thought that he may have gone of for another couple of years.but at least it as he wishes rather than get the chop.

Maybe he just knows he can't recover form for whatever reason. Don't forget winter tour of Windies coming up too and he has just had another child so maybe he thought it was the right time to call it a day. Very admirable

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
What a player he has been for England, Looks like he has timed his retirement just about right. Old school player in an era of smash and bash. Well batted Chef.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A class act, as well as being engaging and articulate. A long media career beckons.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
He's been out of nick this test summer, but a fine player. Watching him own the batting last summer at the Oval against South Africa's prial of fast bowlers who, in different ways, examine every aspect of your technique was a master class.

Not sure we will foster cricketers with his qualities in future given the emphasis on 'beer and baseball' T20

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry I for one thought his TV presence and interview style was painful. Seemed to stutter and mumble a lot.

All about opinions I suppose. I thought he always spoke eloquently back when he was captain, very honest about the teams performance as well as his own, and came across well.

Noticeably better than most footballers anyway.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry I for one thought his TV presence and interview style was painful. Seemed to stutter and mumble a lot.
Think he'll probably stick with his farm rather than media stuff. He'll not be short of a few quid anyway and is going to continue playing for Essex (BG will have plenty of opportunities to clamour for his recall to test cricket).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here