Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New iPhones - 2018 edition

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would you go for the cellular version?

I don't think I would. I always have my phone with me and because of some of the work I do, I need to always have my phone with me. Because of that, an extra £100 (I'm assuming it will be) seems a bit wasteful, and that's before I've checked out how much it would cost for an additional data plan for the watch etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't think I would. I always have my phone with me and because of some of the work I do, I need to always have my phone with me. Because of that, an extra £100 (I'm assuming it will be) seems a bit wasteful, and that's before I've checked out how much it would cost for an additional data plan for the watch etc.

Whats tempted you to consider the 4 as against the three (I'm still on 2)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Currently got a 6S Plus 64GB and seriously thinking about the XS Max 256GB, but it's the mental barrier of paying over a £1000 for a phone!

I bought an X last year, got it home, looked at it for a couple of days and then took it back again and I stuck with my 7 Plus for another year.

As much as the new phones look and sound great, I find myself struggling to justify the outlay to upgrade again as my current phone still does me just fine. I'm also smarting a bit from giving Apple nearly £2k for a laptop a few days ago.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whats tempted you to consider the 4 as against the three (I'm still on 2)

I'm not into square watches and whilst this is still very much not round, the change to the face mean it didn't look quite so angular, but I might need to see one in the flesh to properly decide.

Also, in terms of performance and functionality, it does feel as though it's now reached a level where it's not just a gimmick but has genuine utility.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The XS is basically identical but with a speed bump. If you don't give a shit about 3D touch or a "telephoto" lens, the XR is 90% of the phone for 75% of the price. Get one of those.

The telephoto lens is the best thing about my 8 plus, 50mm field of view is so pleasing. It doesn't have OIS on the 8 plus though which is why i'm seriously considering the XS MAx

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You're not just paying for a brand name.

You're also paying for a ten year old user interface and hilarious fragility.

Fragility? Nah. As someone who has recently gone to Apple after 10 years p!us of Android I say balderdash. Got my IPhone 7 around a year ago after seeing my wife move seamlessly from Blackberry to Apple some years before. Has not missed a beat since, maps, music, photos, compatability with other devices, brilliant. I accept that Android has got more potential but only if you actively pursue it, if you want an easy life Apple is great. And I still laugh at the saddo's attending mass in the shopping centre on a weekend afternoon.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

I have a series 1 watch, which it seems is no longer supported, so considering the upgrade to the 4 now. However, a bit baffled by the cellular option. I want to go running, listening to spotify (downloaded playlist), and no longer have to take my phone with me. Is that possible with either model? Not bothered about calls or text messages while i'm running!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just for reference, does anyone know what the going price of the new handset will be ? would love to know the proportion of my month's salary it would cost.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I have a series 1 watch, which it seems is no longer supported, so considering the upgrade to the 4 now. However, a bit baffled by the cellular option. I want to go running, listening to spotify (downloaded playlist), and no longer have to take my phone with me. Is that possible with either model? Not bothered about calls or text messages while i'm running!!

Yes it will be possible with both cellular and wi-fi only models.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fragility? Nah. As someone who has recently gone to Apple after 10 years p!us of Android I say balderdash. Got my IPhone 7 around a year ago after seeing my wife move seamlessly from Blackberry to Apple some years before. Has not missed a beat since, maps, music, photos, compatability with other devices, brilliant. I accept that Android has got more potential but only if you actively pursue it, if you want an easy life Apple is great. And I still laugh at the saddo's attending mass in the shopping centre on a weekend afternoon.

Spot on...actual experience will count more than whatever links the OP might care to post

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I shall be pre-ordering an XS tomorrow to replace my 8. My sons 6s died on him yesterday so he gets an upgrade to the 8 and I get a new phone. Everyone happy apart form my credit card.

Seems convenient that his phone dies the day of the announcement, reckon he's trying to pull a fast one.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Look after your phone, mine still looks like new 12 months in. Buy a cover type thing, don't abuse your phone, job done. Sit on it, splash water all over it, drop it when pissed, or whatever else, then your phone breaks down. Oh, and I have NEVER taken out phone insurance in 25 years, if and when I do needs a replacement phone through my negligence then I will still be quids in having never paid an insurance premium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here