Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] typing errors

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Is this a safe and secure site? For some reason my keyboard will not type either the pound or hash symbols - I'm fed up of cutting and pasting and if it will fix the problem I would appreciate it.

Looks to be - it's just a forum. Don't have to download anything.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Is this a safe and secure site? For some reason my keyboard will not type either the pound or hash symbols - I'm fed up of cutting and pasting and if it will fix the problem I would appreciate it.

See post #4 above

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
1) plug in a usb mouse
2) go to control panel and open device manager
3) find the touchpad, possibly listed under input devices or touch input.
4) right click and select disable this device
5) see if same problem still happens
6) if it does it’s not the touchpad, if it fixes it go to the laptop manufacturers website and find the newest driver for the model of laptop/os
7) DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF ABOVE IF YOU DONT HAVE A USB MOUSE PLUGGED IN AS YOU COULD POTENTIALLY LOSE ACCESS TO THE LAPTOP IF YOU DISABLE THE TRACK PAD WITHOUT ONE.

I think #7 should be #1. Human factors rules, OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sorry I do not understand that.

But you were bold [or stupid] enough to attempt to reintstall the operating system.

Auto correct and spelling will almost certaily be whilst using an application - maybe MS Word / Outlook / Notepad and feck-all to do with the operating system.
The only link to the o/s is to ensure [as mentioned already] that you have installed the correct language aka English (United Kingdom)

I fear that you and IT are not as one and you really shouldn't attempt such things with such poor IT knowledge.

As an old & wise man once said: "You pays for yer learning" but in your case you always hope / expect NSC to dig you out of the hole you've put yourself in.

Could this have been you 20 years ago? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/word-imperfect/

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But you were bold [or stupid] enough to attempt to reintstall the operating system.

Auto correct and spelling will almost certaily be whilst using an application - maybe MS Word / Outlook / Notepad and feck-all to do with the operating system.
The only link to the o/s is to ensure [as mentioned already] that you have installed the correct language aka English (United Kingdom)

I fear that you and IT are not as one and you really shouldn't attempt such things with such poor IT knowledge.

As an old & wise man once said: "You pays for yer learning" but in your case you always hope / expect NSC to dig you out of the hole you've put yourself in.

Could this have been you 20 years ago? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/word-imperfect/

Just had to put a re install disc in and it did the install completely on its own back to factory settings. I then re installed the parts I wanted like Apache Office, Google Chrome etc again it does it for you. I thought that it may have been a case of somebody younger than me,who learnt about computers at school and so is more au fait with modern technology than me, would have said simply hold down ctrl and a combination of other keys to solve the issue. If somebody asked my advice and I knew the answer I would give it willingly. Thankfully many on NSC do not adopt your attitude and readily give advice in any area that they have expertise or knowledge.as has happened to solve my minor irritant problem.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
How about using the on screen Keyboard ? just in case the keyboard is knackered.

Well, even if the keyboard isn't knackered,

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

What a needlessly rude post. Wind your neck in.

Reinstalling an operating system is a pretty simple process that pretty much anyone can follow since it guides you through the process in the same way as when you first set up your computer, and is completely different from fiddling about with trackpads or whatever. Having a go at him for doing so? Absolutely pathetic.

In any case, his typing issues (no one mentioned auto correct or spelling btw) was universal (not to do with a specific application), so it was was probably due to some sort of failure of his hardware to properly link with his software (damage, driver problems, bugs), since it occurred after reinstall (the software includes the OS, which uses universal drivers or automatically downloads drivers). Perhaps you shouldn't attempt to post on forums with such poor comprehension.

Glad you managed to sort the problem, BG.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
What a needlessly rude post. Wind your neck in.

Reinstalling an operating system is a pretty simple process that pretty much anyone can follow since it guides you through the process in the same way as when you first set up your computer, and is completely different from fiddling about with trackpads or whatever. Having a go at him for doing so? Absolutely pathetic.

In any case, his typing issues (no one mentioned auto correct or spelling btw) was universal (not to do with a specific application), so it was was probably due to some sort of failure of his hardware to properly link with his software (damage, driver problems, bugs), since it occurred after reinstall (the software includes the OS, which uses universal drivers or automatically downloads drivers). Perhaps you shouldn't attempt to post on forums with such poor comprehension.

Glad you managed to sort the problem, BG.

I actually found your post ruder than his.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Don't be a dickhead, there's no need for the abuse, especially when post #14 has already given the correct solution.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I actually found your post ruder than his.

giphy.gif

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Mine used to do this. It was my thumb accidentally hitting the trackpad and moving the cursor. I fixed it by turning off the trackpad setting for "tap to select" or somesuch. Sorry I cant be more exact but I don't use windows any more (apart from a bit of coding and radio stuff).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Serious question. Aside from suggesting BG, anybody recommend a good Brighton area laptop repair man? I've given up trying to retrieve Function Key functionality and Audio following loss due to Windows 10 upgrades. My tekky son has also failed this time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here