Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March untouchable ?

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I've explained it elsewhere. Just because he scored, doesn't mean he played well. It just means he's decisive. It's the blessing of being a striker - you can have a below par game and still be seen as the hero by fans because you've been decisive, even in a game like this where Murray's decisive moments were a) put on a plate for him by Knockaert and b) a penalty.

But to be so sarcastically derogatory because I've disagreed with your opinion makes you look like a bit of a t*at.

Think there is only one person that looks like a **** here. Murray played well even without the goals, the fact the MOTD and other reports have praised him proves that you are possibly in the minority of thinking he didn't.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Is the problem that we haven't just paid £17M for him? That makes him a bit less exciting.....

No ! We didn’t pay that sort of money for Knocky either. It’s simply my opinion that Knocky was having a far better game and causing Fulham problems than March and I can’t believe he got subbed instead of March.

mikebha1963

May 13, 2014
Hardly ! Just felt Knocky didn’t deserve to be subbed because he was a much bigger threat than March.
He was absolutly exausted, when he 's tired he doesn't track back only natural. A couple of times towards the end they almost caught us because he was still forward. I think C/H made the right choice.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
And that's fair enough. I never questioned anyone else's right to an opinion - just that not everyone shares yours and the BBC reporter's either. We disagree, and that's fair enough. Simple question though... take away the goals, and are you happy with his performance?
It's a yes from me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Your third sentence hits the nail on the head though, doesn't it. His best performances have been on the right, cutting in yet he's barely played there over the last year. He's being asked to play essentially as a left full back at times to cover Bong's positioning down the left. It's a very defensive, one dimensional role which does demand a great deal of work going backwards and a great engine to get back up the other end of the pitch. And when he does have the ball, he's often aiming at literally one man (often just Murray) who will often be up against 3-4 defenders in the box, as we barely ever have men break from midfield on to crosses - this demands an incredible amount of accuracy which, no matter your level, is very difficult to achieve. I don't envy the guy at all to be honest as the system just isn't set up for our wide men to thrive at this level.

You only have to compare the roles of March and Knockaert yesterday with Schurrle and Vietto. Fulham's wide men stayed very high up the pitch throughout, pushing our full backs back and with the freedom to run in behind (but over much shorter distances) and to run inside. Their job is simple and is confined to attacking areas. Ours are asked to do this, plus they're asked to defend on top of the full backs, and they're asked to often carry the ball 30 yards just to get to the opposition half, and then to beat 3-4 defenders to create a chance, and then they have often only one body to aim at... it really is a thankless task.

So whilst I agree March isn't perfect (although neither are Knoackert, the new guy or Izquierdo), I think you have to look at the bigger picture a little bit to understand why they play the way they play for CH, and why March has maybe developed the way he has.

I really don't get your comment that he has been asked to play essentially as a left full back. Bong almost never overlaps and if he does it will be in the last third of the pitch meaning March is far from covering his full back position. I also don't agree that he is aiming for one man in the box as I don't know what games your are watching but by the time March has slowed the game down to then burst past the full back there is normally plenty of support in or around the box.

He has talent but his decision making is very poor. In my view it was wrong to take of Knockaert as he had just set up Murray and the team were driving forward. He was contributing more than March had all game. If anything, put Knockaert on the left and Ali on the right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't deny the last bit. His contribution to decisive moments was the difference ultimately and I'm not debating that. And anyone that has read my previous posts would know I rate Murray very highly for what he brings to the team. But one BBC reporter's opinion doesn't make me wrong either. When the Murray MOTM award was announced there was noticeable laughter around my section of the North Stand and everyone around me was questioning it too, so I'm obviously not the only one I thought his all round game wasn't at his usual standards.

For example, his passing was all over the place I thought. If he completed even 50% of his passes today I'd be surprised. He missed a couple of glorious headed chances where he didn't even get the ball on target from good positions and without any pressure (one being straight after the missed penalty). He committed a fair few fouls which slowed attacks down and often went down far too easily under the slightest hint of pressure, often looking for a free kick that wasn't forthcoming (and in total contrast to Mitrovic who was strong throughout and gave Dunk and Duffy a torrid afternoon). In fairness to him, he did seem to win his share in the air, but his hold up play was not as good as usual and consequently there were a share of those headers which went to no one and meant we lost the ball and momentum.

So yeh... whilst I appreciate he was decisive (although he scored a penalty and a tap in that he nearly contrived to miss after all of Knockaert's good work, so it wasn't exactly like the decisive moments were all his own doing!), I don't think his all round game today was up to his usual standards, even if the highlights would've suggested otherwise... it's constructive criticism, of one performance, nothing more and nothing less. I'm not exactly crying out for him to be dropped. Although I thought his treatment of March was a bit pathetic, if I'm being honest and I imagine contributed to March's missed opportunity not soon after.

With the two goals in a comeback from 2-0 down he was ALWAYS going to get MOTM. I’d have given it to Montoya personally but no complaints with Muzza getting it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Your third sentence hits the nail on the head though, doesn't it. His best performances have been on the right, cutting in yet he's barely played there over the last year. He's being asked to play essentially as a left full back at times to cover Bong's positioning down the left. It's a very defensive, one dimensional role which does demand a great deal of work going backwards and a great engine to get back up the other end of the pitch. And when he does have the ball, he's often aiming at literally one man (often just Murray) who will often be up against 3-4 defenders in the box, as we barely ever have men break from midfield on to crosses - this demands an incredible amount of accuracy which, no matter your level, is very difficult to achieve. I don't envy the guy at all to be honest as the system just isn't set up for our wide men to thrive at this level.

You only have to compare the roles of March and Knockaert yesterday with Schurrle and Vietto. Fulham's wide men stayed very high up the pitch throughout, pushing our full backs back and with the freedom to run in behind (but over much shorter distances) and to run inside. Their job is simple and is confined to attacking areas. Ours are asked to do this, plus they're asked to defend on top of the full backs, and they're asked to often carry the ball 30 yards just to get to the opposition half, and then to beat 3-4 defenders to create a chance, and then they have often only one body to aim at... it really is a thankless task.

So whilst I agree March isn't perfect (although neither are Knoackert, the new guy or Izquierdo), I think you have to look at the bigger picture a little bit to understand why they play the way they play for CH, and why March has maybe developed the way he has.

I can take some of that on board but you have to admit there are plenty of times when Solly and Knocky have time and space to pick out somebody ( not just Murray ) and the ball in is inaccurate. The ball in from Montoya at Liverpool ( to Gross ) was stunningly good and pinpoint. This is the type of delivery we need and it doesn't happen enough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
March constantly took on the fullback winning 2 or 3 corners, he set up a couple of chances in the first 20.

He also beat 3 men to try to score, and was blocked when he took a shot.

The critics are concentrating on his crosses, and ignoring the other aspects of his play. He won several corners and it isn't his fault, Murray, Dunk and Duffy, don't seem to able to convert corners.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Great - we have a winger that can’t cross a ball, can’t score a goal, can’t beat his man but can defend occasionally. Just what we need in our home squad week in week out! And when was the last time we won away from home? Barely can defend either IMO. So what Prem qualities am I missing?

Can't beat his man? I've just watched the extended highlights on Seagulls Tv (just £5 per month) and seen him beat three men in one run, and beat others later in the match.
Maybe you forgot after the match?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Can't beat his man? I've just watched the extended highlights on Seagulls Tv (just £5 per month) and seen him beat three men in one run, and beat others later in the match.
Maybe you forgot after the match?

Hopefully he can keep that up as that was missing from his game for large parts of last season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hopefully he can keep that up as that was missing from his game for large parts of last season.

I agree and he is improving, despite his critics. I think sometimes, they just see what they want to see.

His development, which some are bringing up in their posts, was dramatically halted for 12 months at a vital time, when his cruciate ligament went at Derby. He was timid when he first came back, and psychologically backing off tackles, but he's overcome that now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He also beat 3 men to try to score, and was blocked when he took a shot.

The critics are concentrating on his crosses, and ignoring the other aspects of his play. He won several corners and it isn't his fault, Murray, Dunk and Duffy, don't seem to able to convert corners.

Sorry Thunder, crossing is a fundamental part of any wingers game. He has to improve his delivery, he seems to do the hard bit (beating of a player) relatively easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry Thunder, crossing is a fundamental part of any wingers game. He has to improve his delivery, he seems to do the hard bit (beating of a player) relatively easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree he should get crosses in, but he isn't as bad as people are making out. 15 crosses so far this season and an assist.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was said by a man who sits near me and knows his family, that now the transfer window is closed so Spanish clubs cannot come in for him Iziquierdo will be fit and perhaps that has been the kick up the a..e he needed to produce his best form. Take from that what you think fits and disregard anything that you think doesnt.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree he should get crosses in, but he isn't as bad as people are making out. 15 crosses so far this season and an assist.

How are those counted, crosses that are completed? (Obviously his cut back for Knockaert at Birmingham was perfect, and that is the level).
He's overhit a few, and I wouldn't count those (so have Knocky and Gross).

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

In the modern game I think with a bit of bulking up he would make a much better full back than a winger in a similar fashion to how Ashley Young and Valencia’s careers have panned out.

Issue he has at Brighton is he looks more comfortable as an inverted winger but probably 3rd in the pecking order for that position on the right

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do we count the crosses that go straight into the keepers hands and nowhere near one of our players and them being able reach them, as yesterday, or only the one like the one GM took advantage of against Man Utd.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How are those counted, crosses that are completed? (Obviously his cut back for Knockaert at Birmingham was perfect, and that is the level).
He's overhit a few, and I wouldn't count those (so have Knocky and Gross).

I don't know. I looked at his profile on the OS, because I wanted to check he definitely had an assist (and not my dodgy memory) and all his stats are there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here