Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March untouchable ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seemingly Unrealistic expectations is the answer.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Seems an appropriate place to ask this; why is a corner that is headed clear with ease by a defender on the near post considered to be a worse corner than one that is cleared with ease by a defender in the middle or at the far post? Worse than one that goes above a defender at the near post but is thus a nice height for a keeper to pluck out of the air?Worse than one that goes past everyone and out the other side for a throw/goal kick?

It seems to be a complaint levelled at the albion quite a lot over over the past probably 10 years (I imagine fans at other clubs also have similar complaints about their own teams). I feel there are two issues 1) Unrealistic expectations. I'm sure this was linked to late last season when it was a fresher article, but there's no harm in linking it again. Only around 3.2% of corners lead to a goal. Maybe we shouldn't expect a goal a game and pile in on a player who doesn't make it happen when we take just five of them. 2) It seems silly to spell it out (mainly because I keep thinking of Homer Simpson's "it takes two to lie, one to lie and the other to believe it"), but it takes at least two to make a a corner decent - the person taking it and the one who gets on the end of it. It doesn't matter where a corner is directed, with however much power, if none of our players get on the end of it. If our corner taker is constantly putting it on the head of the near post defender, why aren't any of our players making a run to that area to beat him to it?

We rely heavily on set pieces as our wide players and midfield do not create that many chances from open play in fact second worst in the league. Stat Brother will back that up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We rely heavily on set pieces as our wide players and midfield do not create that many chances from open play in fact second worst in the league. Stat Brother will back that up.

That may well be true, but that doesn't answer the main question... Why do we get so hung up on corners that don't beat the first man, moreso than those that go flying over everyone and out for a goalkick, or right on the head of the third man, or seventh man? Why focus on the taker when they can be quite consistent in their corner taking and the outcome can be affected by other players in the box?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That may well be true, but that doesn't answer the main question... Why do we get so hung up on corners that don't beat the first man, moreso than those that go flying over everyone and out for a goalkick, or right on the head of the third man, or seventh man? Why focus on the taker when they can be quite consistent in their corner taking and the outcome can be affected by other players in the box?

Corners have always been viewed as an exciting period of play, completely irrational given their success rate, About the only time a chorus of seagulls,seagulls would ring round The Goldstone. I remember years ago in one season there was a stat that we conceded more goals (direct breakaways) from our corners than we scored ourselves.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Solly March good points:

1.Very good close control in fact the best we have,
2. The best crosser of the ball we have.
3. Completely understands his defensive duties.
4. His positional play compliments both of our main left backs.
5. Has the best goal assist in the current team.
6. Has the ability to play the number 10 role (at a push).

Solly March not so good points:

1. Not your usual knock the ball and run on winger I suspect it's a bit of lack of pace.
2. Not a natural finisher.
3. Does not show emotion.
4. Could and should look up more.
5. Can be infuriating brilliant one moment not so the next.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Problem is so many have to express every view or opinion as an extreme........rather than saying 'he wasn't at his best today' it's 'he was fecking awful'. Don't know why people feel the need.

Same goes for the scapegoating that goes on. There always has to be someone that's been a disaster on whom they can heap all the blame. It's bollocks.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

This is NSC, and probably all of social media in a nutshell. Applies to pretty much any subject.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He’s still only 24 so lots of time to develop. 2-3 years younger than Knockaert & Izzy and personally I think he is better than both.

Yes he frustrates me but there is a very talented player in their, we just need our coaching staff to bring out some consistency

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry to break the bad news, son.
But you'll never get there all the time you don't emote like a 12 year old girl.

[tweet]1078961332152496128[/tweet]

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Solly was MOTM for me today and particularly loved it when he got the ball and played on whilst their 'Right Charlie' was crying on the ground again. God knows why they were moaning about us doing the sporting thing and putting it out, they played on first after he went down and messed it up !!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had a really good game today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Far more aggression and intent to his attacking play today imo.
I realised after writing that could have been misconstrued in many different ways.

Most of us thought he's played well in both games.
Only one poster said he was "awful" (plus a special mention for 'he doesn't cry enough') and that most certainly wasn't you.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I realised after writing that could have been misconstrued in many different ways.

Most of us thought he's played well in both games.
Only one poster said he was "awful" (plus a special mention for 'he doesn't cry enough') and that most certainly wasn't you.

Leave off now.

He did show a lot more aggression today and the team did as a whole.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Good deliveries and usual defensive work rate. Not putting the ball out and winning us a corner was magnificent - the way you discourage cheating in football is calling it out. Richarlison was at it all game, it was no foul and therefore, no reason to put the ball out of play. He got a lot of stick from that dreadful little prick of a left back for them, but the rapturous applause and his name being sung would have more than made up for it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I like to do form on two and three game periods. I think he was brilliant today. I generally feel he lacks that something special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here