Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Coca-Cola to buy Costa coffee for £3.9bn

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I read that it’s because younger people are drinking more coffee than fizzy pop these days. Lots of “woke” sixth formers sitting around in coffee shops taking about feelings rather than heading to the shittiest boozer in town and trying to get served. Makes business sense I suppose. I don’t drink coffee very much (it goes through me like a dose of salts and makes my feet twitchy) except as a treat after a meal out with lots of cream and sugar.

I only drink pop when I’m hungover but I tend to go for the big cheapo own brand stuff for 19p a litre. I’m not really Costa or Cokes’s target market.

Coffe places let them stay for HOURS having only bought one drink, and they have free wifi. Shitty boozers and their equally shitty landlords don’t tend to be as accommodating.......

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I wouldn't pay more than a couple of quid, and even then only if I was feeling flush.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Starbucks is the best of a bad bunch - I would rather fill a flask at home

Not sure if they have either around Brighton yet, but Second Cup, a Canadian company that now have a few shops around the country, and Coffee#1, owned by Brains brewery, do better coffee than Starbucks, Caffe Nero and the like in my experience.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't drink coffee.

But I do drink tea.
And just the once I went to one of these places, possibly Starbucks.
Mrs Chopper had her fancy coffee and she got me some tea, or at least I thought it was, weak as piss it was, no matter how long Ieft the tea bag in and wrung it out it got no better and as for the cost, bloody £3.50 or something.
And now the 2 muffins she purchased, what's all that about, they were £32 pounds each.
The only mugs in these places are the people who walk through the door.
Why not go to a nice little independent Italian cafe?
Or I hear the coffee in MacDonalds is good.
These coffee houses make my piss boil, full of pretentious ooh look at me and my americano flat white and a flapjack.
Fakkin rip off I tell yer.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Not sure if they have either around Brighton yet, but Second Cup, a Canadian company that now have a few shops around the country, and Coffee#1, owned by Brains brewery, do better coffee than Starbucks, Caffe Nero and the like in my experience.

Yup, do coffee#1 in Carmarthen, surprised anyone has heard of them! and Carmarthen

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Alison Brittain, the current CEO of Whitbread Group (who are selling the Costa chain and brand) was my direct boss in her previous role in the UK, and I can tell you (and this is me speaking, not a sauce) she is one very very sharp cookie. Great deal, manipulating the pieces of the group she runs superbly well.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Costa coffee seems to be appalling no matter where you get it. Yes, I said it, coffee snob shame me all you like.

They've done an amazing job of building a brand on absolutely nothing, no USP whatsoever yet they dominate the market.

Great marketing and business acumen, crap product lapped up by people that wouldn't know a good coffee if it slapped them in the chops.
I love the costa coffee....The Vanilla/coconut latte is immense although yes it doesn't appeal to many but their shops are normally well busy so it's a very good shop indeed going by that fact !!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't drink coffee.

But I do drink tea.
And just the once I went to one of these places, possibly Starbucks.
Mrs Chopper had her fancy coffee and she got me some tea, or at least I thought it was, weak as piss it was, no matter how long Ieft the tea bag in and wrung it out it got no better and as for the cost, bloody £3.50 or something.
And now the 2 muffins she purchased, what's all that about, they were £32 pounds each.
The only mugs in these places are the people who walk through the door.
Why not go to a nice little independent Italian cafe?
Or I hear the coffee in MacDonalds is good.
These coffee houses make my piss boil, full of pretentious ooh look at me and my americano flat white and a flapjack.
Fakkin rip off I tell yer.

I happen to agree with your post on the whole but I think you're exaggerating a tad here?

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I’ve sworn never to purchase a Costa coffee again since their marketing department decided that because the ‘Flat White’ was so popular they would create a ‘Flat Black’ which is just a black coffee.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Coffe places let them stay for HOURS having only bought one drink, and they have free wifi. Shitty boozers and their equally shitty landlords don’t tend to be as accommodating.......
Except every Wetherspoons which has unlimited coffee for about a quid. Plus it's Lavazza which is actually better than the stuff they serve at Costa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here